[Tool, Version 1.2.7] Play POE with a gamepad

If your joystick is recognized as an Xbox gamepad by windows, then the tool should be able to map it.

It uses an XInput wrapper, so for now that's a requirement.
Have you tried this in the beta? I just did and it no longer works like it does on the live servers. GGG must have changed input detection in the beta because running this program gets you kicked for to many actions.
Mmmm, I do not have a beta key, so I'll be able to try once I have one, or once beta goes live.

One thing you can try, is on the left analog configuration, mark the "Keep Pressed" checkbox and see if that helps, note, after changing that you need to change the ON checkbox to unchecked and then checked again so it applies the change.

Without it, when moving the left analog stick the tool is constantly sending the mouse click, so that might be detected as too many actions too fast, I have left it that way because it makes it simpler to pick up items and entering new areas, with keep pressed, it will only register 1 click and keep it pressed while you move the analog, so that should be fine on the servers.

Hope this helps
Last edited by weberto on May 25, 2015, 11:27:06 AM
I did what you said to do and unfortunately it still kicks me for too many actions.

I've used a program (D3Gamepad by SebSnake) similar to yours to play POE for 2 years now. That program no longer works on Beta servers either.

If you want me to try anything else just let me know.
ah yes, I used that program for a while before I started my own.

Not sure what is GGG blocking or what they detect, I signed up for beta now, as that way I can fiddle with the code and do some testing and maybe figure out what is being considered "too many actions".

Via the configuration though, not much else to try I'm afraid.

how do you get kicked out? is it when trying to open the game, or while running the game (sounds like the latter based on your description)

if you get kicked once you use the gamepad, check the following:

- do you get kicked if you only press a button mapped to a single skill?
- do you get kicked if you only move?
- do you get kicked once you attack while moving?

the app is only mapping gamepad actions to keyboard and mouse, and besides the constant clicks when keep pressed is off, everything else should behave as if used directly in the keyboard and mouse.

the questions above would only help trying to figure out how to update the app to prevent "too many actions", and those are the first thing I'll try once I get beta access.

another possible test could be to map movement to the right click, and then use the "HOTS - Improved" profile to move around and see if you get kicked, this is only in case there was a bug and your profile didn't applied the keep pressed setting.

I'll update here when I get beta access and I can run some tests.

Thanks for the feedback
I only get kicked when I take a few steps while in game(using POE default and keep pressed checked). Skills are fine and potions are fine.

Mapping movement to right click and using HOTS improved does not kick me from game.

Sounds like keep pressed is not working as intended.

By the way, great job on your gamepad tool.

Great news, thanks!

Ok, I'll try to figure out the bug there, meanwhile here's a couple of options you can try that should let you play then:

1. While having the tool closed, open the POE.json file, and change the value of KeepPressed in the LeftAnalog object to true, save it and then open the tool again, when you select the POE profile it should have keep pressed checked, and you should be able to play using it normally.

2. Simply grab the HOTS - Improved profile and update the other bindings, then save it with another name.

Thanks for the feedback, let me know if beta complains about something else, heh
Updated to 1.2.7!

This updates POE's profile by default, to use Keep Pressed option in movement.

Basically instead of sending a click every 10 or so milliseconds, it will send the click key down once, and only send a key up when the analog is released, or if pressing another button.

This prevents a new check on POE awakening that kicks users if they send too many actions in a small timeframe.

Also fixed keep pressed not working correctly when not using virtual aim.
Nice tool! hard to target with right manipulator but still - best option now...thx

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info