[Long] Why your feedback is important, but your reasoning isn't

"
I am glad someone agrees with me about Pillars of Eternity, finally.

I didn't even try it, i knew it was gonna be subpar :D

Tides will be better, but also inferior to torment so, gg for those type games.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
@Polaris: Wilson & Schooler 1991

Sorry, but sometimes feedback is just noise, with nothing to decipher.

You should observe the noise and feedback the earth&universe can offer to its creator, only shining perfection. Maybe you will gain

@NeroNoah: Great writing skills + time spent in a video game world = someone who did a short and very rewarding job. Guess.
I'v seen 3 in this forum: Lyr** Scr** The**

Sorry for the off topic ScrotieMcB.
He knew it: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1242499
Summoning Dan: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1250921
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
2. Peer pressure is a feedback killer. A good community for feedback embraces diversity and makes those with uncommon opinions feel at home.

This is kind of the reason I've stopped giving relatively long feedback. I don't feel that I need to give an essay to totally flesh out reasons for my opinions. Generally people talk on these forums about "meta" like it's a binary concept. It's not that I can't articulate, but it's more of lack of time. If there were parts of the game that could be focused on as high priority, I could do that. From being in closed to beta to the current game, I'm no longer objective. Not that I can't divide an reasonable issue from something that is casual nitpicking.

And it's not that bad, 2 and a half things out of 4 important things that I feel need to be addressed in the game are being worked on in the upcoming patch. It's not like good feedback is non-existent it's whether or not it gets time or a chance to be taken into account.
This video game is very different from what you were outlining in your OP. This is no new product being put out to people for impressions or sell points. This is about data mining. For example:

950 people died to ________ mob
25,850 people died to ________ mob <---- oopsee whats going on here.
50 people died to ________ mob
151 people died to ________ mob

X amount of players took X passive <-- popularity or OP? >> investigation >> conclusion
X amount of players used X item <-- popularity or OP? >> investigation >> conclusion
X amount of players used X jewel <-- popularity or OP? >> investigation >> conclusion

Letting people into the Beta is all about wanting to try the goodies. This adds to data mining potential which is why GGG is going to speed up the timer. If people get what they want, what they asked for, (their GUT feeling) your hypothesis suggests they may not bother playing at all or not as much as they screamed about. Maybe, but its doubtful they would choose the opposite (not play/ignore the invite).

As for journalists being invited, its a good idea. However will they even play? Do they know how to play? This seems almost counter productive as to what GGG wants out of this testing specifically. People are mad about all this new account beta keys is because 1) they're jelly 2) they feel noobs will provide less meaningful data. Is this true? In some respects yes and in others, absolutely not. As it stands how they are doing it now is best.

Last edited by Rusery on Apr 24, 2015, 9:57:23 PM
It was difficult to find a point in all the text; it was slightly ironic that you said testers find it difficult to explain themselves in such a massive wall of text!

One of your suggestions was that testers should be advanced to a certain point. I agree. They should be moved into maps, given the best gear, given the worst gear, given 100 rares of each type randomly rolled to try and make builds and test the whole spectrum of the game. It's instructive for GGG to get some metrics on levelling - but if the whole beta's going to be forced levelling, it's not really going to be a proper test. From what I've read people seem to be approaching it as a race, which is pointless.
Last edited by davidnn5 on Apr 24, 2015, 10:45:29 PM
"
davidnn5 wrote:
From what I've read people seem to be approaching it as a race, which is pointless.
Eh. I actually think you get more maps data that way. If no ladder then you'd probably see much more rerolls.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info