A potential change I'm keen to hear your thoughts on

To me, it makes the combo EB+MoM stronger than before for some builds. You'll have a bit less mana/es to protect your life, but the amount reserved will be a lot less (halved for most build), so in the end it's more ES/mana to protect life. You'll need another way to regen ES, but ES and mana will be able to both regen at the same time.
The question is whether it's simply better to use the classic ES over life as a defense.

Anyways I already have a MoM build that doesn't use EB or AA, so I won't say MoM is dead.

As for AA, I'd say it's a huge nerf, I've many character who can use AA only thanks to EB at a rather low cost. But they said AA might be tweaked along with this change, so I'm not too worried. And if AA isn't as cheap as before, I'll use another type of defense, I can reinvest all my passives and gear spend on mana/regen into another defense.

And clarity isn't dead at all, many builds use clarity for mana regen, even without AA. And clarity is flat so it's actually not nerfed by this EB change. What's nerfed is mana regen passives overall, they could buff them again since they were nerfed because of EB. Such a buff would resolve all the whine around AA in this thread while keeping the investment needed to run it.

Other remarks :

BM + MoM + EB looks fun, I don't know if it's actually useful. It doesn't look better than classic BM with ES, except you're able to regen both at the same time.

Vaal discipline + EB will be somewhat like Vaal clarity. I don't know if anyone has ever used vaal clarity.

Vaal clarity could in fact become more useful with the new EB, it makes you able to cast stuff without preventing ES to regen.

A simple way to use ES regen effectively with the new EB would be using too offensive skills, one with BM and one without BM. So you only have to use the BM one a few time to let ES recharge.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Apr 18, 2015, 7:30:01 AM
"
Alhoon wrote:
"
For people saying this is a good change, please enlighten me on why you think so.
Because it changes the current meta.

While I won't get into the debate of whether frequent, forced meta changes are good or bad (which is more of a debate of frequency in itself than the actual meta shifting): Declaring any change good simply because it changes the meta, is frankly ridiculous.

It's also worth noting SnorkleUK's many posts ITT that show it isn't really much of a meta shift than the nerfing (and seemingly needless complexity) of life casters who are intended to still use the same meta but be worse off.

What was that recent GGG post?

Oh yes....

"
NickK_GGG wrote:
If someone asked me what Path of Exile's greatest strength was, I'd answer with just one word: depth. The breadth of choice and volume of interesting interactions between skills, supports, passives and items are what differentiates Path of Exile from other games, and what keeps players coming back over and over again. Path of Exile's greatest weakness, on the other hand? Complexity.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Apr 18, 2015, 7:37:59 AM
I have to admit, I went and slept on this change and thought about it, and I've come to some conclusions:

1) This change does not help existing builds that run EB.
2) Without new ways to recharge our energy sheild in order to make for a more efficient faux mana pool, this isn't going to make very many new builds viable either.
3) This change would be interesting for builds that already have mana problems and run BM to solve that - but would have an energy sheild lying around (melee templars for example) - but EB is too far away from that sort of build path to benefit them.

It comes down to the fact that EB is currently situated in the heart of mana-regen central, and on the periferal of Energy Shield station. This needs to be flipped in order for this new EB to make sense. If new EB was where Conduit or EE is, I could use it on some new and bizzare builds. But as it stands - the builds that most need new EB are the builds that can't afford to take EB currently - so it's giving a drowning man a glass of water.

Caveot:
This is all done in a vaccuum. Maybe we're getting changes to Energy sheild regeneration alongside this. That new life regen ammy would be pretty sexy for this...
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
"
Tempada wrote:
Seriously. That first post is terrible.

Yeah, I'm not sure what Rory was thinking there. The upcoming rebalance will not have any accompanying patch notes (which is very understandable) and simply plonking down an image like that and saying "get to it" gives the impression that GGG might be somewhat underestimating the time required to properly process information like this. People will probably spend the first week or two figuring how the "whole new game" (paraphrasing Chris) works, let alone give feedback that isn't knee-jerk.

I'm also slightly concerned that a fundamentally game-altering change like this is referred to as "potential". I hope for GGG's sake that it's only a matter of wording and not that the idea came up literally a few days ago or something like that. I'd like to think that GGG has been less ad-hoc and seat-of-the-pants with respect to the rebalance.
Have you made a cool build using The Coming Calamity? Let me know!
"
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
I don't like it. It turns your ES into mana, and that is all I want to see. Also, does this imply that ES will be spent before mana. This means that ES regen will be separate from mana regen when using EB. As such, it'll be harder to get a very large mana regen by making use of EB.

ya Im with you man.

Can I ask waht the thought process is behind this? Is this change for the sake of change or is the idea to completely destroy life based spell casters and wipe them from viability? Because thats what this is from what I can see.

I hope its not from thoughts like this...

"
Serleth wrote:

I think this change to EB falls back into that line. The EB/AA/CoD setup was easily the strongest defensive choice you could make, without really sacrificing a whole lot to get it done.

EB/COD/AA was one of the most investment intensive and weak defenses in the game. Compared to properly specced evasion, armour, ondars, endurance, acrobatics, lightning coil etc combos it is so terrible, absolutely terrible at mitigating damage. Thats good, because if it was anywhere near as good as a character in the melee area of the tree can get their defenses then casters would be absolutely overpowered because of how safe and easy to scale spells are. They need to be defensively weak and they already are, this is just going to absolutely destroy them.

How do you balance this? MoM is just gone, it was poor compared to proper dex and str defenses before now you just cant have any auras, you wont be able to get enough free mana or mana regen to make it worth anything. If you edit arctic armour to the point where you can actually sustain it now with a much lower mana regen to counter act butchering EB like this then you are gonna put it into a realm where non eb builds can use it a lot easier, and how is that going to be balanced? A lightning coil full evasion ondars guile phase acrobatics endurance charge attacker also now running high level arctic armour?

I dont get it, I just dont get why you would want to take one of the only things thats making life based casters defensively viable and completely trash it.

Is this to try and stop cloak being so pervasive? Is this a zeno "omg nerf cloak omg" thing? Cause I agree its way over used, I totally get why he says that, but surely theres other ways around that which dont involve just obliterating life based spell builds? You could balance that by moving mind over matter into the spellcaster part of the tree somewhere spell casters can actually get it easily and then edit the node itself as the chest is now just giving you the node. Change it to 20% of damage from mana or something. AA was already nerfed to the point where it feels like you are wearing 1k armour against any sized hit that matters even at extreme levels of inner force + lvl25 arctic armour.

Is this just trying to change the caster meta? Cause I mean I can understand a desire to do that but this... man, this is terrifying for life based casters. People think casters are op, theyre not, their damage is more often than not quite meh, defensively theyre a joke, an absolute joke. I have a lvl94 witch with a legacy cloak running a lvl25AA with inner force, vertex, some pretty serious gear, as good as you can really hope for on a cloak of D setup before you start hitting mirror level gears and I can tell you with some certainty shes the most defensively fragile character I have. Im not saying this because I dont want my build nerfed, I have so many builds across all spectrums of characters and for sure, for absolutely sure the idea that cod mom aa builds are some op defense is absolutely nonsense. Im first and foremost a physical attack guy, I have tons of attack builds thats my thing, what Im saying is honestly for the sake of game and casters at large.

Thats my thoughts looking at it, obviously we havent tried it yet, but if you want first impressions, there it is. Casters are already "if you want to have a viable build you need to go to the south side of the tree and take scion life wheel", do this to them and its going to be a case of casters needing to go get iron reflexes or ondars or god knows what else to be able to survive while theyre down there and thats just, imo, nonsense. Esp when you combine it with making them give up life leech or life regen to be able to sustain casting etc... from a distance it just looks like a nightmare tbh.
100% agree
It would be a good idea however to introduce this change as an alternate keystone. The tricky mechanic behind it will most certainly be put to good use by imaginative persons.

Zeno - Worst Streamer NA
looks horrible to i am a big fan od eb,ohh plz dont make these changes. seem stupid and unnecassary to me. eb is logic and intuitiv as is. if thats all cuz of cod just nerf the dsmn chest again.
"
karlklaps wrote:
looks horrible to i am a big fan od eb,ohh plz dont make these changes. seem stupid and unnecassary to me. eb is logic and intuitiv as is. if thats all cuz of cod just nerf the dsmn chest again.

Please don't make suggestions again.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
hype died a little in fear of nerfnerfnerf.
We can all (hopefully) agree that the combination of EM+MoM+AA was a bit OP. But it seems this change is changing way more than it has too. I small fix could have been

"EB: Energy Shield becomes mana. Mana regeneration is at 50% effectiveness".
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Sleeping on it further, the fact that using movement skills such as

Leap Slam
Lightning Warp
Whirling Blades

then you'd constantly use mana out of combat, in combat you obviously use mana, this means that your EB will __NEVER__ recharge making this completly useless

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info