Any news on Steam users and the Beta?

"
Why wouldn't steam users just get the same standalone beta client that non-steam users get? This entire issue doesn't make any sense to me. I think they just don't have a solution yet for running the beta through steam(though steam absolutely has infrastructure for this sort of thing).

Here, let me spell it out for you: steam users literally never auth directly through GGG. For anything. At all. When we log into the forums, we have to log into steam first and steam sends an authentication token. When we log into the game client, we don't even have to type our username+password at any point because our steam login (we have to already be logged into steam to even boot up the game) generates an auth token for us.

So, now does it make sense why steam users would be concerned? If there's just a secondary beta client, but that client is not available through steam, we won't be able to "just log in". Our entire account is bound to steam authentication tokens. GGG does not have a hash of our steam password _or any other password of ours_ in any database anywhere, so they can't just say "Oh, yeah, that's steam user HikaruYami all right!" if I were to try to log in with my steam details to the beta client.
Last edited by codetaku on Apr 18, 2015, 8:06:49 AM
steam has a beta test opt in function that I have used for other games, I think it might be best for GGG to try that route
I dont see any any key!
Would be nice to have clarification on this before Monday.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

indeed, im almost starting to get worried
I dont see any any key!
"
k1rage wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

indeed, im almost starting to get worried
I like many kinds of games 😊
Am I the only one that has two instances of PoEx installed, one in Steam folder and the other in GGG folder?

I usually play though Steam, but when Steam goes mad from time to time and insist I use it offline, then I start my regular PoEx installation.
„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
"
Odoakar wrote:
Am I the only one that has two instances of PoEx installed, one in Steam folder and the other in GGG folder?

I usually play though Steam, but when Steam goes mad from time to time and insist I use it offline, then I start my regular PoEx installation.

No, no you are not the only one.
I like many kinds of games 😊
"
Odoakar wrote:

Are you able to do this with the same account? Or do you play two separate accounts?

If there is a way to get a GGG-specific password assigned to my account, I would be happy to do that. But I'm not going to make a brand new account.

The only time I've had a problem with steam, though, is during the 15-minute weekly steam updates. Which is not nearly enough for me to care.
Last edited by codetaku on Apr 18, 2015, 2:29:33 PM
"
"
Odoakar wrote:

Are you able to do this with the same account? Or do you play two separate accounts?

If there is a way to get a GGG-specific password assigned to my account, I would be happy to do that. But I'm not going to make a brand new account.

The only time I've had a problem with steam, though, is during the 15-minute weekly steam updates. Which is not nearly enough for me to care.

Yes its the exact same account Steam still logs into GGG Servers to play the game just like stand alone whether you have to type stuff in or not is trivial. Steam still connects and verifies you have a account with GGG and logs you into it.
"
"
Why wouldn't steam users just get the same standalone beta client that non-steam users get? This entire issue doesn't make any sense to me. I think they just don't have a solution yet for running the beta through steam(though steam absolutely has infrastructure for this sort of thing).

Here, let me spell it out for you: steam users literally never auth directly through GGG. For anything. At all. When we log into the forums, we have to log into steam first and steam sends an authentication token. When we log into the game client, we don't even have to type our username+password at any point because our steam login (we have to already be logged into steam to even boot up the game) generates an auth token for us.

So, now does it make sense why steam users would be concerned? If there's just a secondary beta client, but that client is not available through steam, we won't be able to "just log in". Our entire account is bound to steam authentication tokens. GGG does not have a hash of our steam password _or any other password of ours_ in any database anywhere, so they can't just say "Oh, yeah, that's steam user HikaruYami all right!" if I were to try to log in with my steam details to the beta client.

This is a good explanation but there's no need to be rude about it. I linked my steam account to an existing GGG account so even though I only launch the game on steam, I can still use the GGG account credentials to access the forums and presumably the stand alone client so I wasn't sure what the issue was.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info