is this game suppose to be like this for beginners?

walking around lost not knowing what your doing and killing stuff? because i started this about 2 hours ago and thats what im doing
"
mody_bird wrote:
walking around lost not knowing what your doing and killing stuff? because i started this about 2 hours ago and thats what im doing

Look at your quest log. The game is also very linear so there aren't many ways you can get lost or deviate from the main "story".

If you look at the map, it's literally a line with a few berries spotting it. Not even full branches.
"
Natharias wrote:
"
mody_bird wrote:

Look at your quest log. The game is also very linear so there aren't many ways you can get lost or deviate from the main "story".

If you look at the map, it's literally a line with a few berries spotting it. Not even full branches.

how do i check my quest log?
That should be "u" by default, I'm not 100% sure though.

I would recommend going into the options menu (ESC->Options) and look through the Keybindings there, you will probably find some useful ones.

The Character quest log is in the "World" Panel, at least I think that's what it's called.

And if you are completly lost, clicking a waypoint, such as the one in Lioneyes Watch, will open the same panel.

But yea, this game can get rather hard for new players, just try to get through all 3 acts at least once and then either play your char if you like it or reroll if you feel it is really weak. By that time, it should be much easier to play through aswell.

Items with Green names are quest items. Pick those up, always. There will be usually an npc that will take them from you again.

Also, be sure to activate every waypoint you come across by clicking it once.
Last edited by Arviû on Apr 6, 2015, 4:04:12 PM
"
mody_bird wrote:
All hail new "user-friendly, very intuitive" menu interface.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
"
mody_bird wrote:
All hail new "user-friendly, very intuitive" menu interface.

well, if finding "options" and other sections in game menu is a problem, then how can one deal with game mechanics complexity?
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Learning is an important part of Wreaclast, if you don't enjoy it maybe you should be looking for a road to Tristram..?
IGN @Ostropalca
"
mody_bird wrote:

That sounds awesome! Reminds me of the first time I played D1. Zomg! A rusty sword, im gawdlay.
"
BackwoodsS wrote:
"
mody_bird wrote:

That sounds awesome! Reminds me of the first time I played D1. Zomg! A rusty sword, im gawdlay.

exactly:)

I didnt realize Im supposed te exp so went down fast and ended up at the butcher getting one shotted and dealing no damage, with no idea how to kill him:)
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"FRESH MEAT!" *you know what voice to read this in ;)*

Back to topic: check the key bindings and follow the road. Click everything clickable and if something with a green name drops, pick it up.

When/If you play for a longer time, you will realize that all the gem, passive and item descriptions are very precise and tell you exactly what they do but it takes some time to recognize that for most people. Keyword: keywords!

Also: check out the first two threads on this site (the stickied ones), they are meant to answer all those basic questions. Start with the beginners guide and if you have any specific question besides that, it is likely answered in the FAQ thread.

And to answer your original question, i am pretty sure that the answer is: "Yes, it is supposed to be this way."
That feeling of being lost, not only in the story of the game but also yourself as a player, is something you unfortunately don't find very often in games any more.
I personally love to figure out stuff by myself at the beginning instead of the game throwing tips about everything at you - or handing out achievements for every step - but i guess that is a matter of personal taste.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info