I'm done with your vendor recipes

"
beefnuggy wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
So let me reiterate, recipes currently artificially keep up value of trash rates. Like I've said, people are already salty about most rares being vendor trash not being worth of a pickup

I agree about the quality of the rare items. In the system I propose you could ignore them (unless its an Ambusher or Vaal Regalia etc). Pick up the orbs drops, ID a few rares of interest...

I'd rather not assign arbitrary value to trash.
I just dont agree with that I guess. There are many points why, but mainly I feel

1)some useless items turning into useful items, such as 6s white items, chromatics, rock breakers, rare jewelry, is a GOOD thing to me. look at other arpgs and you dont ever pick up white stuff. so why do the games even drop them ? PoE is unique in that sense and I personally like it that way

2) this will even more focus peoples attention on RNG of rares, and at least in perma-leagues, focus on crafting, which makes it near pointless to do MF runs unless youre trying to get uniques. now I dont like MF, but I respect the choices in (MF or not to MF), so I dont want that aspect to be gone.

3)inventory managing is much easier with orbs than with items- thats intended by design, just like how map portals are limited. the game mechanics implies having loot explosions and you choosing what to carry out. consolidating all drops into orbs basically makes orbs gold- more homogeneous and more bland

last but not least, its much easier to bot (not that it was hard before but still), and that goes for #3 as well- part of the reason inventory is so small is to not let people bot mindlessly looting everything they can
I appreciate your comments, but I encourage you to think about the in-game experience more than the high level economic aspect. Sure the current system may "work", but couldn't other methods also work? I feel like almost any change to the way currency is born would be more enjoyable than the current.

I enjoy the RGB-chrom and 6s/jew recipes. It's not overly cumbersome, and its not far off from what I'm asking for (drop the actual currency).

I guess I really just can't stand the chaos/regal recipes. I'm so sick of it and I don't feel like I'm being rewarded for doing anything special. I feel like I'm a bot, making the same clicks as everyone else.

I'd rather be rewarded for successfully mangling some nasty boss, not hauling trash to a vendor.
"
beefnuggy wrote:
I appreciate your comments, but I encourage you to think about the in-game experience more than the high level economic aspect. Sure the current system may "work", but couldn't other methods also work? I feel like almost any change to the way currency is born would be more enjoyable than the current.

I enjoy the RGB-chrom and 6s/jew recipes. It's not overly cumbersome, and its not far off from what I'm asking for (drop the actual currency).

I guess I really just can't stand the chaos/regal recipes. I'm so sick of it and I don't feel like I'm being rewarded for doing anything special. I feel like I'm a bot, making the same clicks as everyone else.

I'd rather be rewarded for successfully mangling some nasty boss, not hauling trash to a vendor.

most of my concerns are experience-aspect based. I respect the economy in the game, but its not why I play it;
we'll just have to agree to disagree- I like chaos and regal recipes, as they're something different from what I find in other games of the genre.

but Im glad you agree chromes and jewelries recipes are a pretty good solution
On the topic of addressing how trash most rare items are, would adding another tier of items beyond rare help? So, at the moment, we have magic items, which have 1 - 2 mods, and rare items, which have 3 - 6 mods, and unique items, which have, well, unique mods.

What if we had Magic with 1 - 2 mods, Rare with 3 - 4 mods, and then a third tier, named something like Legendary (am I stealing this from somewhere else? Honestly, I don't know.) with 5 - 6 mods. Since Legendary items would still be drawing their mods from the existing pool of mods, and would not be able to have unique mods, they would still be a tier below the unique items in some sense.

That would perhaps allow for a better distribution of mod tiers as well. The mods could be divided into three tiers, low tier, mid tier, and high tier. The first 2 mods on an item, the magic mods, could be from any of the tiers; low, mid, or high. The second 2 mods on an item, Rare Mods, couldn't come from the low tier, and the third 2 mods on the item, Legendary mods, must come from the high tier mods. In that way, all Legendary items would be guaranteed at least 1 okay stat, and 2 if you had 2 legendary mods on it.

This would also mean a new set of orbs for crafting at the legendary level, and that would mean an opportunity to make the whole crafting system scale a little bit more smoothly. At the moment the jump from crafting with Transmutes, Alts, and Augs at the magic level to crafting with Regals, Exalts, and Eternals at the rare level is super punishing currency wise.

Eternal orbs wouldn't really need to change that much, they could still perform their function for Legendary items, but Exalts could be made much more common since they wouldn't work to convert an item from rare to legendary. That would mean that crafting an item with 2 - 4 good mods would be much less arduous than it currently is, but would allow the difficulty of crafting an item with the full 6 high tier mods to be preserved.

Thoughts?
Last edited by HoneyBadGerMan on Apr 1, 2015, 10:45:41 PM
^^ I like some of your ideas but I think it's too late in the game to make some of these drastic changes.
Why? I mean, sure, it would be a fair bit of work, but it wouldn't be impossible. There are already legacy items everywhere, wouldn't it just be the case that existing rares would just become Legacy rares?
"
Why? I mean, sure, it would be a fair bit of work, but it wouldn't be impossible. There are already legacy items everywhere, wouldn't it just be the case that existing rares would just become Legacy rares?

There are already plenty of legacy rares...

"
beefnuggy wrote:
This method of acquiring wealth is boring and in no way supports a risk/reward environment

It supports the notion of an RNG based game, which is only one of the ways to acquire such wealth. You can play the other game which GGG calls a feature and make big "risks" when big patches are planned.

And why mess with one of the something's that actually fits with "grinding" theme, if you want rewards for in game wealth that's flashy then it's not gonna be "grindy" enough anymore.
Recruiting for Archnemesis League/Siege of the Atlas!
Umbra Exiles:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3244875
The Official Path of Exile Guild Directory:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1192567
"
beefnuggy wrote:

There's always going to be a pressure point of least-valuable-activity that you still do. Even if the Chaos Orb recipe wasn't the main method of attaining Chaos Orbs, there would still be some other activity that is least-valuable.

Doing the least-valuable activity perhaps isn't fun in comparison to the other activities, but streamlining the least-valuable activity doesn't solve the issue of players doing a least-valuable activity. You haven't offered any concrete alternative that's better than the recipe, yet your whole argument is hinging solely on the basis least-value. It's unavoidable that such an activity will exist in a complex game like POE, so that's insufficient justification to condone change.

Here are some advantages of Chaos Orb recipe:
-Resource Management. You have limited pack space, and there are multiple things vying for a spot: chromatic recipe, crafting whites, uniques, currency, 6S items, chaos recipe. Removing one of the things, perhaps the bulkiest, makes the management aspect less interesting.
-Residual value. Especially early in a league, you can craft some items then reserve the failed results later for a recipe. That only works with a recipe.
-Provides options. If you really don't like the Chaos Recipe, you can play the game without it and use your pack space for other stuff. You will get other things like Chromatic Orbs and Alt Orbs (perhaps even XP) more quickly by ignoring the Chaos Orb recipe. If you really need those things badly you may not want to do the Chaos Orb recipe even as it stands today.

Those are some concrete advantages to the recipe. I haven't seen any concrete alternatives to the recipe other than to raise drop rates of Chaos Orbs which sacrifices those benefits. The primary con against the recipe is about the feel of it which is subjective and not concrete.

Between one side that has several concrete advantages and the other side which doesn't, I'm going to pick concrete advantages 10 times out of 10.
"
StDrakeX wrote:

It supports the notion of...

I hope it support my dear Nippy!

I don't use them either. I don't enjoy farming when doing them. It is poormans gold anyway, not reqlly worth it. I find i farm the most when i just focus on grinding. I just pick some itemtypes and vendor the craprolls. I got a tremendous boost to my playing experience when i stopped crap recepies. I still do gcp and chisel one, thats all.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info