EphemeralEverAfter – Self found “no regrets” death poll for the 1 month hardcore league

In the upcoming 1 month hardcore league, I'll run a self found summoner witch named EphemeralEverAfter. Every passive skill point allocated will be a permanent choice because no passive refund points or regret orbs will be used. I'll convert her to CI when gear that's good enough to make the transition has been found or crafted.

The player who comes closest to guessing at what level she'll die, where in the game, and to what enemy will receive the 8 best currency items she finds.

Rules for EphemeralEverAfter (EEA)

Spoiler
1. She uses only gear that she finds, crafts, or buys from in-game NPC vendors.
2. She runs solo in the hardcore 1 month league (no dual boxing, no assistance from other characters).
3. All passives choices are permanent, meaning no refunds and no regret orbs will be used.
4. I reserve the right to "farm" specific areas for levels and gear.
5. I reserve the right to assess a situation and not fight a specific battle (or finish up a particularly nasty map, or run a particular corrupted area), if the odds of survival look bleak. Also, logging out is an option, if overwhelmed.

About rule 5, I have no logout macro, slow reflexes, and fumbly fingers, so you can weigh the worth of the option to logout for trying to keep EEA alive. But, I expect running away from battles to rarely occur, as overcoming challenges is what makes the game fun to play.

How do I make a guess?

Spoiler
Make a post containing your guess with the following details:

1. Character level at death (level 1 to 100)
2. Difficulty level and zone in the game in which she dies (ie: Cruel docks, Level 68 map, ...)
3. Act (mini-)boss or enemy type to deliver the killing blow (ie: Merveil, rogue exile, corrupted area boss, magic voidbearer pack, ...)

I'll add each guess into the pool of guesses made (see post 2 below for that information).

To help for making guesses, I play solo, mostly in one kind of hardcore league or another, and I don't trade or engage in RMT. I've not yet defeated Dominus on merciless difficulty, nor have I taken a character beyond level 70 maps.

What happens after I make a guess?

Spoiler
I'll make posts about how the death race is going, as EEA makes progress. When she dies, the death race ends, I'll post about the details in this thread, and I'll contact the winner to transfer the best available currency items to the winner.

Will this be streamed? Will there be video?
Spoiler
My computer is too slow for streaming. I'll post a kind of running journal for EEA in this thread, instead of doing video.

Build plans and goals …
Spoiler
While leveling through normal and cruel difficulty, EEA will be a hybrid life / energy shield summoner who relies mostly on fire trap, raging skulls and zombies. But, the longer term plan is to shift to zombies / spectres. I'm most likely to take the Chaos Inoculation passive for her in Act 1 or Act 2 of Merciless difficulty (if she survives long enough for that).

Passives plan …
Spoiler
As EEA levels up, her passives will be posted along with other information about her progress.

Long term goals for skills …
Spoiler
Chest slot: spectres
Head slot: zombies
Boots or gloves slot: reduced mana – clarity – discipline – lightning warp
Boots or gloves slot: cast when damage taken (high level) – immortal call – Vaal skill – Vaal skill
Weapon: flesh offering – convocation – curse
Shield: cast when damage taken (low level) – enduring cry – frost wall

Switch weapon: desecrate – devouring totem – bone offering
Switch shield: purity auras

Unset ring – arctic armour

Daily missions for the Forsaken Masters will hopefully prove useful to fill in some gaps on gems that can't be acquired from quest rewards.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Mar 22, 2015, 1:49:17 AM
The pool of guesses about how this death poll will end is in this post.

How to make a guess ...

Spoiler
Everybody gets only one guess and nobody can make the same guess as somebody else who guessed already.

Make a post containing your guess with the following details:

1. Character level at death (level 1 to 100)
2. Difficulty level and zone in the game in which she dies (ie: Cruel docks, Level 68 map, ...)
3. Act (mini-)boss or enemy type to deliver the killing blow (ie: Merveil, rogue exile, corrupted area boss, voidbearer, ...)

I'll treat a death in a corrupted area as a death in the zone from which it was entered, for the purposes of determining in what zone the death occurred.

Guesses to date ...

Spoiler

Normal Difficulty

Techercizer - lvl 32, Warehouse Sewers, leaper

Cruel Difficulty

Perq - lvl ?? Upper Barracks, Brutus

EphemeralEverAfter died at level 48 in City of Sarn, most likely to Perpetus.

Two guesses are close. But, Chundadragon has the edge of being more specific and quite close in naming the location, as well as being very close in level. Chundadragon is the winner of this death poll.

Chundadragon - lvl 45-ish, Sewers, ???
mruuh - lvl 50-ish, ???, instance server glitch, followed by a lag spike and a disconnect
morbo - lvl ???, Upper Sceptre of God, Dominus

Merciless Difficulty

blubbber - lvl 55, Tidal Island, Hailrake
Perq - lvl 55, Upper Prison, Brutus
ventiman - lvl ???, act2, chaos bond drop bears

Maps

Waves_blade - lvl 70ish, lvl 66-68 maps to voidspawn beyond boss spawn

Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Apr 2, 2015, 10:38:14 PM
EphemeralEverAfter reached level 11 and defeated Brutus in normal difficulty, also completing all quests up to that point.

Her skill gems so far are fire trap, fireball, summon raging skulls, and raise zombie.

Passives:

I got desynch on a tormented spirit in the submerged lower passageway and EEA lost about 70% of her life before she re-synchronized. Hopefully that's not a sign of things to come.
Level 32 Warehouse Sewers from a leaper
Expected nerfs:
- Spectral Throw [done]
- Scion Nodes [done]
- Scion dialogue [ggg plz]
Level 55, Brutus (zone is obvious :P)
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Minor update ...

EEA is now level 15 and has reached the Cavern of Wrath waypoint in normal difficulty.

Passives ...
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Mar 25, 2015, 2:05:14 AM
good luck man.

but... why choose a build/play-style that's so weak early on?
I actually think your chances of a RIP are much higher in Normal/Cruel, compared to Merciless and Maps if you manage to reach those.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
johnKeys wrote:
good luck man.

I actually think your chances of a RIP are much higher in Normal/Cruel, compared to Merciless and Maps if you manage to reach those.

Damage accrues so slowly in normal/cruel due to tiny pack sizes, so if you have a logout macro, you're safe even from leap slam chain-stunners and the like. It doesn't matter how weak you are, as long as the gameplay isn't so slow/boring that you give up.
"
johnKeys wrote:
good luck man.

Ive played summoner straight from lvl 1. It is not that bad :). I did carry around a 2h with no passive support for some extra dps until around lvl 35.
EEA is now level 23 and has just finished up all "right hand side" quests for Act 2 normal (Fidelitas, Archbishop, Kraityn, Great White Beast).

Tormented spirits have so far been pretty good for increasing the drop rate for rare items, which is helping a bit. No more desynch to spirits after the very first encounter in lower submerged passageway, which has been great.

I took Desecrate gem as the quest reward for Fidelitas and the rare "+ strength" belt as the quest reward for Great White Beast, to build up the STR stat. She has also found Shockwave Totem, which has occasionally proven useful for defense / distraction.

EEA's only aura at present is Clarity (Brutus quest reward).

Passives:

The left hand side of the map in Act 2 normal is up next.
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Mar 26, 2015, 3:23:03 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info