What happened to dark and gritty?

"
We're sick of the recent trend towards bright, cartoony RPGs. The art style we chose for Path of Exile is dark, gritty and realistic. Wraeclast is terrifying, and we've tried hard to do it justice.

When did GGG abandon their design vision, replaced realistic armors with fluorescent rave party outfits?

This is not dark, nor gritty nor realistic. This is not terrifying. It's ridiculous.

„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
They lost the north long time ago, everything they added breaks the game atmosphere, but the Moba/MMO dudes love it.

welcome to Wraeclast's circus

Spoiler

Last edited by 2i0 on Mar 19, 2015, 5:54:36 PM
ive noticed the shift too.. its not good.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
They haven't really been implementing dark gritty graphics since Open Beta started. They said one thing and literally ignored it immediately. The new armours remind me of the Blood Dragon Armour in Dragon Age Origins.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
"
They haven't really been implementing dark gritty graphics since Open Beta started. They said one thing and literally ignored it immediately. The new armours remind me of the Blood Dragon Armour in Dragon Age Origins.

I really, really miss Max Schulz's art. Not feeling the recent output at all. Way too fantasy heavy and not really gritty whatsoever.
Would be so cool if they sub contracted him again..

Spoiler
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Mar 21, 2015, 2:03:29 PM
POWER RANGERS
Hi

What happened to dark and gritty?

Answer: GGG caters to a larger market now that gives more money and they don't seem to be as interested in dark and gritty as super colourful clipping crap.

You want dark and gritty? You want to not have too grind so bad for a little gear progression? Give Grim dawn a try.

Forum Moderators are welcome as usual to remove what I write because it does not fit into THEIR standards.

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
I know quite a lot of people within our guild that love these armour sets. Personally I am not a fan of them. This artstyle doesn't resonate with me. I wish my guildmates the best for obtaining them because I know it will make some of them very happy. That is what matters.

P.S.: I do hope one day we will see the implementation of those gritty season 2 race rewards ingame. I love those GGG!
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
Last edited by Reinhart on Mar 30, 2015, 1:25:39 PM
It makes no sense whatsoever to complain about some of the armors looking less realistic by a small margin in an unrealistic game to begin with because, well, it is a game!

Now, had the armors in PoE been 'very' fantasy-like to the point of rainbows and unicorns (because believe me, PoE is not the biggest culprit of this) THEN I would see a reason to complain about it, yet since that is not the case, what is the big deal?

Furthermore, so what if GGG is changing up their game a little bit (for money to make the game remain free for those who do not want to voluntarily pay into it) to mildly cater to different audiences without straying too much away from their 'vision' like you guys wrongly believe.

Even though I have contributed money toward PoE's development, the rest of you should all be very grateful for even having half the content you are given in a free to play game. Therefore, if dealing with a little 'fantasy' when it comes to armors (as you guys call it) is the only price to pay in exchange for a free to play game, would you not want to deal with that over paying monthly fees?
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Apr 7, 2015, 6:17:28 PM
"
It makes no sense whatsoever to complain about some of the armors looking less realistic by a small margin in an unrealistic game to begin with because, well, it is a game!

Now, had the armors in PoE been 'very' fantasy-like to the point of rainbows and unicorns (because believe me, PoE is not the biggest culprit of this) THEN I would see a reason to complain about it, yet since that is not the case, what is the big deal?

Furthermore, so what if GGG is changing up their game a little bit (for money to make the game remain free for those who do not want to voluntarily pay into it) to mildly cater to different audiences without straying too much away from their 'vision' like you guys wrongly believe.

Even though I have contributed money toward PoE's development, the rest of you should all be very grateful for even having half the content you are given in a free to play game. Therefore, if dealing with a little 'fantasy' when it comes to armors (as you guys call it) is the only price to pay in exchange for a free to play game, would you not want to deal with that over paying monthly fees?

i believe everyone is free to give opinions tho otherwise would be d3bnet aligned fanboys....

pd: Go Go Power Rangers, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info