What happened to dark and gritty?

"
dimraiden wrote:
"
It makes no sense whatsoever to complain about some of the armors looking less realistic by a small margin in an unrealistic game to begin with because, well, it is a game!

Now, had the armors in PoE been 'very' fantasy-like to the point of rainbows and unicorns (because believe me, PoE is not the biggest culprit of this) THEN I would see a reason to complain about it, yet since that is not the case, what is the big deal?

Furthermore, so what if GGG is changing up their game a little bit (for money to make the game remain free for those who do not want to voluntarily pay into it) to mildly cater to different audiences without straying too much away from their 'vision' like you guys wrongly believe.

Even though I have contributed money toward PoE's development, the rest of you should all be very grateful for even having half the content you are given in a free to play game. Therefore, if dealing with a little 'fantasy' when it comes to armors (as you guys call it) is the only price to pay in exchange for a free to play game, would you not want to deal with that over paying monthly fees?

i believe everyone is free to give opinions tho otherwise would be d3bnet aligned fanboys....

pd: Go Go Power Rangers, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers!!

Pardon my late reply.

Right, just like I am entitled to give opinions against other opinions I deem are more unreasonable than mine. The difference with my opinions on this matter is that I understand where the OP is coming from, yet the OP (and others who agree with the OP) seem to not understand where I am coming from, or better, where GGG is coming from in their decision to mildly cater to those who like a little 'fantasy' thrown into the mix.

One can also argue that even if (hypothetically) everyone who is in agreement with the OP got what they want far as everything being realistic gear-wise aesthetically, the game is still very unrealstic because, let's be honest... Any player in PvP (for lack of better example) getting hit with a sword 30 good times before they die is very unrealstic when two or three good hits with a sword normally gets the job done, so why the overkill? Why? Because, again, Path of Exile is a game, as is the case for countless other games.

Whining for too much realistic stuff only stunts the growth of creativity in any game.

Even the game designer/producer genius Hideo Kojima, who is a critically acclaimed avant-garde of stealth/shooter games knows the rule of thumb that going with plain realism all the way, likely than not, does not make for a very successful career in game development.

I am all for realism in art, and I am all for realistic graphics in games, but what good is a piece of art or a game if it rehashes every tiny nuance of reality without imaginative input whatsoever?

Now, would I suggest GGG's art design team to go all-out unicorns and rainbows in Path of Exile? No. Do I suggest GGG's art design team to only add a touch of fantasy in Pah of Exile? Absolutely!

Conclusively, here is the sum of my argument in a rhymed couplet:

If you cannot enjoy the imagination in the virtual world of gaming like most of us do,
The all-too-familiar door into reality's boring cyclical cycles is not very far from you. (me)
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Apr 11, 2015, 3:43:05 AM
"
It makes no sense whatsoever to complain about some of the armors looking less realistic by a small margin in an unrealistic game to begin with because, well, it is a game!

Flawed logic. People are talking about the art style in the context of path of exile dark and gritty art style that was advertised by GGG not about if the art style is realistic or not. I think that´s clear now.

"

Now, had the armors in PoE been 'very' fantasy-like to the point of rainbows and unicorns (because believe me, PoE is not the biggest culprit of this) THEN I would see a reason to complain about it, yet since that is not the case, what is the big deal?

"Rainbows and Unicorns" is a exaggeration. Exaggerations are a very bad style in general to form a argument. Please differ that people are talking about very specific MTX and that those MTX are too shiny, too colorful and/or just doesn´t fit the art style of poe. And that´s a valid argument.

"

Furthermore, so what if GGG is changing up their game a little bit (for money to make the game remain free for those who do not want to voluntarily pay into it) to mildly cater to different audiences without straying too much away from their 'vision' like you guys wrongly believe.

"mildly cater".. what a euphemism.

"

Even though I have contributed money toward PoE's development, the rest of you should all be very grateful for even having half the content you are given in a free to play game. Therefore, if dealing with a little 'fantasy' when it comes to armors (as you guys call it) is the only price to pay in exchange for a free to play game, would you not want to deal with that over paying monthly fees?

Are you really trying to make people feel guilty for forming a opinion against a aspect of the game? Really?

"

..or better, where GGG is coming from in their decision to mildly cater to those who like a little 'fantasy' thrown into the mix.

It´s pretty simple. They need money, yes. But in the context i guess you´re saying it´s the only way they could have done so? If yes, i would have another opinion. You can make MTX that would have satisfied both worlds while not disturbing each others art taste.

"

One can also argue that even if (hypothetically) everyone who is in agreement with the OP got what they want far as everything being realistic gear-wise aesthetically, the game is still very unrealstic because, let's be honest... Any player in PvP (for lack of better example) getting hit with a sword 30 good times before they die is very unrealstic when two or three good hits with a sword normally gets the job done, so why the overkill? Why? Because, again, Path of Exile is a game, as is the case for countless other games.
Whining for too much realistic stuff only stunts the growth of creativity in any game.

Even the game designer/producer genius Hideo Kojima, who is a critically acclaimed avant-garde of stealth/shooter games knows the rule of thumb that going with plain realism all the way, likely than not, does not make for a very successful career in game development.

I am all for realism in art, and I am all for realistic graphics in games, but what good is a piece of art or a game if it rehashes every tiny nuance of reality without imaginative input whatsoever?

Now, would I suggest GGG's art design team to go all-out unicorns and rainbows in Path of Exile? No. Do I suggest GGG's art design team to only add a touch of fantasy in Pah of Exile? Absolutely!

Conclusively, here is the sum of my argument in a rhymed couplet:

If you cannot enjoy the imagination in the virtual world of gaming like most of us do,
The all-too-familiar door into reality's boring cyclical cycles is not very far from you. (me)

Just to hammer it down again. Some MTX (that are used primarily though) are not in line with the general art style of the game. That´s the basic thesis behind the argument of the op.
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info