Are we really that bad of a community?

"
poepropaganda wrote:
Personally I think most of the community is ok. With the exception of certain individuals given immunity by GGG.

BaBaJi gets away with murder

Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
"
ghamadvar wrote:
One look at GD now and the question seems to be answered. Boy oh boy.

I think measuring the value of a community by some innocuous troll threads in GD might be a little harsh.

When was the last time someone in game actively swore at you or insulted you? Have you ever been PMed in the forums by someone threatening to kill you?

Yes, yes, there are a lot of people like me (and worse) in these forums who don't take shit very seriously and are quite stupid in our postings - but considering some of the outright threatening and verbally abusive behaviour I have seen in other games/forums, we're really pretty much at the low end of the spectrum :)

My two cents, anyways - lets try and keep a bit of perspective about these things, yeah? :)

I am not taking it too seriously. The last time somebody jumped at me must have been in the last month. It was in a "what is better?" discussion. Took one posting "pro D3" and things became harsh. My posting was deleted by service. His posting got deleted by service.

And i don't mind trolls or "stupid" postings like you named them. It simply is not a great view when you click on an official forum and all you see is troll-postings all over the place, nonsense and stuff like that. That's all i am saying. It is initimidating, it expels people. That's not good. That's all i am saying.

So i am not a mad bro. I am just worried why things like this happen, can happen and are not stopped.

And to answer Charan: A community stands for diversity, you are right. But a community always should have a regulation of power, standards, rules and some degree of equality that all should respect. If a community loses this, it becomes a bad community and finally a non-community. This was the question: Are we a bad community. And i would say: yes. Today. Just because some act like there is no community. Some regard the rules as necessary, some ignore them. There are too often the infamous five bullies who beat down a guy. And there are too often bystanders who don't do shit against it. A community is like a football team, you are right. We have running backs, quarterbacks, safeties, guards and so on. And all are different. Wonderful. But all should know where they are playing at and that they are playing football, as a team. Is it hypocritical to say "we are a bad community"? Maybe. But it seems to be hypocritical as fuck to say "there is no problem. As long as there are some good apples, everything is fine", when we don't have clear rules and standards that define the good apples. Too often only those are regarded as "good" who don't hit the nerves of the bad apples. And this is Lord-of-the-flies-style, don't you think? Every community needs it's trolls, nerds, knowitalls, pros, amateurs and so on. But they all should play for the same team. If a community gets cannibalistic, things are not going well. If a community that has no community-rules at all is still called a community, it gets hypocritical for real yo.

The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
"
ghamadvar wrote:

And i don't mind trolls or "stupid" postings like you named them. It simply is not a great view when you click on an official forum and all you see is troll-postings all over the place, nonsense and stuff like that. That's all i am saying. It is initimidating, it expels people. That's not good. That's all i am saying.

Every forum I've ever been a part of, and there are too many to count unfortunately, this is never the case.

If it is filled with troll and and nonsense the community is active - people are trying to get attention. If it is filled with help and carebear then you can always find long threads to the tune of, "how can we get more people to play this game?"

carebear/helpful forums always support unpopular games.
It took me some time to get what you wanted to say. So sorry if i get you wrong here:

If a game is running, if a community is active, this means, the game is alright and trolls and nonsense are just a sign for a good, healthy game?

Never thought of it this way, to be honest. If it is so: i am still not absolutely fine with it, but i could live better with it XD

The problem is: I don't think that this is the case. I think that most of the trolls are bored and are loving their roles (that's what i encountered in the numerous forums i have been to: people falling in love with their roles and not being able to leave them when it is necessary). That it is not a coincidence that the amount of trolls has risen since we have fallen into the "pre-act4"-hole. I think the QQ and the flames have been increased since PR got out of control. I mean look at this: This is a 17-pages thread about the quality of the community. Not one official has shown up. People can say what they want here (including me, exaggarating and stuff, sorry for that again). Troll-threads are born in a hurry and there is next to no moderation. I don't know if this is a popular-unpopular thing. I think that every game needs more helpful and carebear-postings and discussions. I know a lot of games and forums that died shortly after the communities turned into warzones, ruled by warlords and witches ;)

And i don't know how the quantity could say something about the quality. Maybe we have an active community and a good game. That does not necessarily mean that the community is good and the game is active ...

I know I've been modded for some semi-light stuff, while defending PoE fans, so I cant agree there.

Go to the forums on the current online big hitters: LoL, Hearthstone, DotA, CoD, World of Tanks, etc. Beautiful vile bile everywhere. Then skip over to quality games that have struggled to find an audience. The Secret World for an example. On the first two pages you will always find "what can we do" threads from impassioned players desperate for their game of choice to find a broader audience.

The only games that seem to buck these trends are KMMOs. ArcheAge for the clearest example. Players bitter they sunk $150 into a founder's scam so while they beg a company that pisses in their mouths daily for a better game - they troll the shit out of it.

Point is: troll, anger and nonsense always means you are doing okay.

I forum as a hobby :P

Last edited by FireWalkWithMe on Mar 23, 2015, 9:42:05 AM
"
I know I've been modded for some semi-light stuff, while defending PoE fans, so I cant agree there.

Go to the forums on the current online big hitters: LoL, Hearthstone, DotA, CoD, World of Tanks, etc. Beautiful vile bile everywhere. Then skip over to quality games that have struggled to find an audience. The Secret World for an example. On the first two pages you will always find "what can we do" threads from impassioned players desperate for their game of choice to find a broader audience.

The only games that seem to buck these trends are KMMOs. ArcheAge for the clearest example. Players bitter they sunk $150 into a founder's scam so while they beg a company that pisses in their mouths daily for a better game - they troll the shit out of it.

Point is: troll, anger and nonsense always means you are doing okay.

I forum as a hobby :P

I totally get you. But again: This cannot /should not be the way love goes ;)

@Charan: I understand. It is depressing indeed. Thanks for your advice. Maybe i shall return to may hideout and mumble softly into the local chat-channel ;) Your sig hits the spot. Unfortunately ...

"
ghamadvar wrote:
It took me some time to get what you wanted to say. So sorry if i get you wrong here:

If a game is running, if a community is active, this means, the game is alright and trolls and nonsense are just a sign for a good, healthy game?

Never thought of it this way, to be honest. If it is so: i am still not absolutely fine with it, but i could live better with it XD

The problem is: I don't think that this is the case. I think that most of the trolls are bored and are loving their roles (that's what i encountered in the numerous forums i have been to: people falling in love with their roles and not being able to leave them when it is necessary). That it is not a coincidence that the amount of trolls has risen since we have fallen into the "pre-act4"-hole. I think the QQ and the flames have been increased since PR got out of control. I mean look at this: This is a 17-pages thread about the quality of the community. Not one official has shown up. People can say what they want here (including me, exaggarating and stuff, sorry for that again). Troll-threads are born in a hurry and there is next to no moderation. I don't know if this is a popular-unpopular thing. I think that every game needs more helpful and carebear-postings and discussions. I know a lot of games and forums that died shortly after the communities turned into warzones, ruled by warlords and witches ;)

And i don't know how the quantity could say something about the quality. Maybe we have an active community and a good game. That does not necessarily mean that the community is good and the game is active ...

So you rather have them lock threads like these? Or do you want probation tags and banned tags under everyones names? I think you are being quite melodramatic, unless the forum is where you get your social fix. I get mine from actually going outside and interacting with people, albeit thats only when im drunk.

And no "official" has shown up? Why? To make this a 100 page threads of people bickering with devs and asking why they dont get their way? That is already the reason people bump suggestions, to get a dev response, i think we are pretty solid on those on the overall forum.

Besides, you forget one vital part, its only the same bunch making the QQ desync and whatnot threads and theyre a vocal minority, the majority plays the game and has fun and doesnt give a damn about the forum. Thats how it should be.
"

unless the forum is where you get your social fix. I get mine from actually going outside and interacting with people, albeit thats only when im drunk.

I hope you realize that being a drunk who cant talk to someone unless they are altered is not superior to someone who is a shut-in who gets off on forums.
"
"

unless the forum is where you get your social fix. I get mine from actually going outside and interacting with people, albeit thats only when im drunk.

I hope you realize that being a drunk who cant talk to someone unless they are altered is not superior to someone who is a shut-in who gets off on forums.

Did i say i was superior to you? And besides, going outside beats sitting in front of a PC any day.
"

Did i say i was superior to you? And besides, going outside beats sitting in front of a PC any day.

To me? No.
But you implied you are superior to someone who sits in front of a pc all day, as you stated again in your second thought.

I feel a shut-in that interacts with people online is superior to a drunk who is so self-conscious they cant walk outside without being inebriated: 10 out of 10 times.

That is coming from a fellow drunk > shut-in mind you.

brb, i'm going to go get drunk, lift at the gym then talk to a bunch of hot babes surfing on a red ferrai teenwolf style

/outtie
Last edited by FireWalkWithMe on Mar 23, 2015, 9:59:23 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info