[1.3] The TANKIEST REAVER ever ! High Block - High Life - High Regen - Minimise reflect issu

Hello exiles/mate/bro'/dude : i'm sorry for my poor english, but i'm french

You're way to impress ladies with this build

Concept & Requirement

Reave is one of my favorite melee skill !

=> It has 100% of base damage (and not 80% has Groundslam)

=> It groes when you hit : with a very fast attack, you reach very quickly 120% more radius (8th stage)

=> It is very effective skill as a clearspeed skill !

How to get a high DPS on Reave ?

=> Attack speed to get DPS and 8th stage

=> Passive tree ofc + Resolute technique

=> Auras (Hatred - HoA - HoT)

=> Dual curses

=> Extra elemental damage from socket gems

Passive tree / Stats

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgQAmy25Hd3jXzmwq_Tmvqe9NmVNhNlHfsGCL8y2imLshO8FLXrvdO1eE2BLrK8M96mVwL9AoDJOG5eDticLhtFhUu9OhmA6UhiRvJ8UcQ48YxfXfsEHG6qBOvJaEPCCB9l80iHyQdlhz36tjXzZ9zIoKotPm2qFUuRRl3lQR18_FCDvDozP9khYYz38eTl-4ho-xPZyqf5UDc0rUBzOPQ_3TXYrgIon7fMG-6oGOSSLUWCApFXWZOcXL_rSZp7AGrFC8xFxhUbXVyknL5BVGjiCm-w473w8BZo7n9_AZqIABLNXDRkufLs62PAf

Important stats

=> Life : +172% life, 3.8% life regen, +340 strength

=> Tank : +100% armour, +27% elemental resistance, +19% block chance, +205% increased Defences from Shield

=> Mana : 19% reduced Mana Cost of Skills, 18% reduced Mana Reserved

=> DPS : +70% attack speed, +364% physical damage, +56% Elemental Damage, 8% increased Area Damage

=> Buff : 10% chance to Freeze and Ignite, 5% chance to cause bleeding, +25% damage from status ailments on enemies, +27% effect of Auras you Cast, 20% increased Radius of Area Skills

Gear

There are few uniques that you really need on this build.

Windscream : to get the dual curses which be developed later

Carcass Jack : could be considered if it's tanky enough

Devoto's Devotion : to get some damage and especially attack speed

The reste

=> Rings need life on hit / mana on hit (or leech) and damage

=> Amulet needs damage and res

=> Shield needs armor and res

=> Body armor needs life and res

=> Belt needs as much as physical damage

=> Gloves needs res and attributes to gear/gems requirement

=> Weapon : at least 2 APS and physical/elemental damage and %increase physical damage

Gems, links & explanation

DPS : Reave - Physical lightning damage - Added fire damage - Concentrated effect - Multistrike - Faster attacks

Spoiler

%q on Reave, and other gems are ofc a huge bonus !

Hatred set up : Hatred + Reduced mana + Empower/Portal/Whatever

Spoiler

The third gem could be replace by Leap slam to get a free 3L

Movement set up: Leap slam - Faster attacks - Reduced mana

Spoiler

MOOOOOOVE

Curses link : Curse on hit - Herald of thunder - Vulnerability - Elemental weakness

Spoiler

Why Vulnerability ? Buff HoA damages and Reave damages !

Why elemental weakness 50% damage is elemental + extra elemental damage (+120%)

Classic : Cwdt - Immortal coil - Increase duration - Enduring cry

Spoiler

Classic.

HoA set up : Herald of ash - Reduced mana - Increase burning - Elem prolif

Spoiler

This could permit the build to be super fast !

Yet, a 4 single target link could be done here and put HoA with Hatred.

Tanky ?

=> High armor

=> High block

=> Near 4% life regen + life leech/on hit on the gear

=> High life for a Reaver

=> 50% physical / 50% elemental damage : reflect issu ? NO' MAM'

Bandits

=> +40 life

=> +18% Physical Damage or 8% attack speed.. should go attack speed

=> Passive

About me

I really enjoy creating new build but I terribly need some feedback.

I hope one day to try this thing out, if someone could do it (as older builds that I created) it will be awesome !

Thanks a lot for reading this post. I'm looking forward to get some answers, improvement and questions.
Last edited by Justice_ on Mar 12, 2015, 6:45:00 PM
Hi there,

Interesting build.

I made a similar build (but with a 2h sword mara), and have tried HoT-CoH without success.

The problem i see in your build is proccing the shock, RT prevents crits and the chance to shock is only 10%, this is not ideal if you need everything cursed when you want it.

My solution to the problem was to use a secondary attack that is used to specifically curse groups.

At first i used Leap Slam - CoH - double curse. This was quite effective as i would leap into the middle of a pack and curse everything before unleashing my main attack.

But i was using a 2h so i had another 5L available. i switched to flicker-splash-coh-double curse and this was the best method.

You're using shield+sword so perhaps the leap slam curser i suggested might work better for you.
So many strikes within one breath.
But only one strike needed, for certain death.
"
fiqst wrote:
Hi there,

Interesting build.

I made a similar build (but with a 2h sword mara), and have tried HoT-CoH without success.

The problem i see in your build is proccing the shock, RT prevents crits and the chance to shock is only 10%, this is not ideal if you need everything cursed when you want it.

My solution to the problem was to use a secondary attack that is used to specifically curse groups.

At first i used Leap Slam - CoH - double curse. This was quite effective as i would leap into the middle of a pack and curse everything before unleashing my main attack.

But i was using a 2h so i had another 5L available. i switched to flicker-splash-coh-double curse and this was the best method.

You're using shield+sword so perhaps the leap slam curser i suggested might work better for you.

Hi mate !

First of all : a 2h reaver ? I think it's not possible "Only works with Daggers, Claws and One Handed Swords."

Secondly : don't underrated the 10% shock chance !

50% of my damage is lightning damage : every hit could proc shock with 10% chance.

Attack speed : 2.08 (sword) + 23% (weapon) + 70% (tree) + 8% (bandits) + near 20% (gear) = 4.6 attacks per second

With multistrike : "107% more attack speed" => the calculator said 11 attacks per second !

Every second, i got 110% chance to proc shock ! It's basically every attack !
No no no no no ! that's not how probability works !
if you try 2 times a 50% success event, it doesn't mean it'll succeed.
your chance to activate shock will be :
1-(mult of every fail chance) = 1-(0.9^11) = 1-0.35 = 65%

So you have a little less than 2/3 chance to shock stuff every second. It's probably good enough, but as someone who had some issues with probas, I wanted to clear things ^^
"
Seivlas wrote:
No no no no no ! that's not how probability works !
if you try 2 times a 50% success event, it doesn't mean it'll succeed.
your chance to activate shock will be :
1-(mult of every fail chance) = 1-(0.9^11) = 1-0.35 = 65%

So you have a little less than 2/3 chance to shock stuff every second. It's probably good enough, but as someone who had some issues with probas, I wanted to clear things ^^

Ok sorry dude, I probably need to study a little bit more on probability ahah

I think that even 65% chance to shock is very efficient !

=> Curses are easy to proc because you just have to hit 2 times the first enemie and then Reave radius / HoT procs / HoA prolif would do the job off screen !

=> Maybe it's possible to change HoT to Ball lightning against bosses because you want to curse them in order to kill them faster

=> High attack speed + 50% elemental / 50% physical damage + Multistrike (less damage, more attack speed) means no reflect issu !

I still have some questions :

=> Devoto's devotion : is it the best helmet ?

=> Is it possible to run Great Old One's Ward shield in order to hit harder or the bonus isn't impressive ?

=> Do I need a single target skill ? As Double strike or Viper strike or whatever ?

=> Life on hit or Life leech ? Mana on hit or Mana leech ?

Thanks a lot !
Summary after playing this build in the 1M race.

So I decided to try this build out in the new 1 month leagues, and I must say, it works.

I have a history of playing spellcasters, so I wanted to try out something different, so a Tanky, non crit, elemental melee build seemed like a thing I'd like.

I changed a couple of gem setups though.

Gems and Links

Reave - Multistrike - Weapon Elemental Damage - Physical to Lighting

I use just a 4 Link, as I wanted to wait with a 5L until I had a carcass, I do have one now, but still trying to link it.
Weapon Elemental Damage is great, It greatly increases your damage opposed to added fire. as a 5th link I'd either take Faster Attacks or conc effect, but it'll need some testing.

Hatred - Reduced Mana - Herald of Ash

I didn't have enough space to go for the separate Herald of Ash links. This still worked wonders though.

Herald of Thunder - Reduced Mana - Curse on Hit - Elemental Weakness

I didn't have a Windscream so no dual curses yet. Ele weakness greatly improves your damage, I'd say go for this setup ASAP.

Leap slam - Faster attacks - Blood Magic

Our Life regen makes this pretty much a freebie imo better than Reduced Mana.

Cwdt - Immortal coil - Increase duration - Enduring cry

Works great, Personally I leveled CWDT until it triggered at around 1/3 of my health, helps greatly against big physical hits. No perma immunity, but it gives you a lot of time to react.

In the passive tree I changed some stuff as well. Primarily Int is hard to come by early on.

Passives

49 points (End of normal/early Cruel)
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgQAXzmbLd3j9Oawq76nvTZlTYTZR37Bgi_MYuxNRgUteu907YTvYEsyTo-ZBIfAv0CgXhOsrxuXOlKGYGFS704YkbyfggfZfBRxDjzZYVcN0iHyQSftGS5yqcT2fNn3Ms9-rY0=

No real changes here.

73 points (End of Cruel/Early Merciless)
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgQAXzmbLd3j9Oawq76nvTZlTYTZR37Bgi_MYuxNRgUteu907YTvYEsyTo-ZBIfAv0CgXhOsrxuXOlKGYGFS704YkbyfggfZfBRxDjzZYVcN0iHyQSftGS5yqcT2fNn3Ms9-rY3EFf5UDc0rUBzOPQ_V-MS47Dh8uySLgpuxQvMRcYXAGkbXVymQVScvGjh35Vfi7SA=

I grabbed Mana Flows at the duelist area for some much needed Intelligence, The mana regen is a nice bonus when fighting against bosses.

I then rushed for Celestial Punishment and Judgement, while picking up a +30 int node and holy balls. Proccing HoT is not a problem what so ever, our attack speed is very good, and with our Int now pretty high, we can level HoT. Also, with our Phys to Lighting gem, our lighting damage is high enough for the shock duration to be pretty long, after one pack, I was proccing HoT consistently.

Also, my pathing is a little bit different, as I went through Catalyse, our heralds and our Phys to Lighting gem all count as Weapon Elemental Damage, so this is a nice damage boost.

Level 81 (99 points)
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgQAXzmbLd3j9Oawq76nvTZlTYTZR37Bgi_MYuxNRgUteu907YTvYEsyTo-ZBIfAv0CgXhOsrxuXOlKGYGFS704YkbyfggfZfBRxDjzZYVcN0iHyQXKpxPZ82fcyz36tjcQV_lQNzStQHM49D9X4xLjsOHy7JIuCm7FC8xFxhcAaRtdXKZBVJy8aOHflV-LtIPxLFE12rOoY8wb7qgY5UWDhcwSzogDwH-98n9_AZotPm2qFUuRRl3koKhQg7w5QR18_eTl-4ho-

Grabbed all the remaining life nodes here and there, grabbed Amplify and Sanctuary, went through the marauder area and optimized some pathing at RT. The order in which you do these things is up to you, it's pretty straight forward what gives you more damage and what gives you more defenses. this will be my final point as I will be 4/4 :P

You may notice that I dropped all the aura nodes, I didn't need them at all, I had more than enough mana and felt that my points were better spend in Ele damage and defenses.

I also dropped the sword nodes as it were too many points imo for little return, again, elemental damage and defenses were my personal priority.

Leveling
- Grab a Wurm's Molt. I found one very early on, and it gave me enough Int for a lot of my skills, some nice life leech and some much needed mana leech.

- Weapon has priority. Our build is pretty tanky without much gear, even resistances aren't a problem, but the damage is pretty low until our heralds are leveled, so try to upgrade your weapon as much as possible.

- Heralds are OP. level them ASAP.

- CoH is OP. I was playing with heralds and a 2 link pretty much all the time, so when I grabbed my CoH in late merciless I was astonished with the difference it made, try to get this fast.

Everything else was smooth, I had no problems at any point whatsoever, any deaths was because I was trying to race asap with a character and playstyle I was rather unfamiliar with. No death was due to a bad build or lack of gear, although reaving on a 2 Link has pretty low damage in merc :P

Mapping and Gearing.

- Easy to gear, I'm level 77 right now, on a 4 Link, without any of the uniques listed and it works like a charm. Good clear speed, great tankyness, no mana problems whatsoever. All of my gear was self found or 1c, with the exception of a 7c sword. All that is needed is enough int to level your HoT and Ele weakness and 2% mana leech.

- Easy to play. The tankyness of this build is noticed very early on. The only thing you really have to focus on is lining up as many opponents to hit with reave.

- Map mods are a joke. 2% mana and life leech and I was doing no regen maps without a care in the world, I had no problems with -max resistances since our HP pool is just so damn big. the only one we avoid is Blood Magic as we rely on our Hatred and Heralds.

- All bloodline mods are doable. Necrovigil isn't even that bad as we either blow the bastards up when we freeze them, or we can kite them away and let the HoA burn or HoT lighting finish them off. Phy Link is the only one stopping us, and that is soon to be removed. even Beyond bosses weren't a problem.

Conclusion

This build works, cheap, easy, can do all map mods. Fun to play as you just leap slam #yolo into Cult of the Elements packs and start reaving.

The uniques OP provided will make things all the better I'd imagine. Personally I think Carcass Jack will be the best first choice. And I'd even say Aegis is a nice bonus, as long as your other gear has your resistances and stuff covered, we get a lot of + Defenses, so we'd have enough energy shield from Aegis alone to make it work.
Last edited by Legionicus on Apr 2, 2015, 5:11:21 AM
hello im a total noob and gona try this (if i understand it) thanks c:
can this be made with templar?...also whats dps when mapping?
Last edited by Daemonion on Apr 5, 2015, 10:16:03 AM
Seems like a cool build, might try it :)
Oh, but
"
Cwdt - Immortal coil - Increase duration - Enduring cry
should be
Cwdt - Enduring cry - Immortal call - Increase duration I think (so that enduring cry activates before immortal call)
Last edited by Severinus3 on Apr 5, 2015, 11:37:12 AM
gonna try out this build on flashback league, will report how it goes! ;P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info