Endless Coldsnap - Seeking Build Advice

"
Ikbosh wrote:
Re: Void Battery, I'm all ears, what would you recommend I use instead?
Re: Zealot's Oath, excellent question, not sure why I have it either.
Re: Shield, new to CI. Feel free to elaborate?

The Void Battery hurts your build, because it forces you to get all the power charges to get decent spell damage, and Resolute Technique on top of it just so that your Cold Snap will work. Just get a rare wand or sceptre with high spell damage, cold damage, cast speed, and mana regen.

For CI, the shield slot is a big source of total ES. Especially if you want to use Carcass on your chest slot, which also has low ES. My main point was you are not using the bonuses of your unique shield. Just get a rare shield with high ES, mana regen, and possibly some spell damage and resists.

If you fix your mana regen from the freed up passive points, and put some on your shield, ring, and weapon, you will be able to replace your Mana Leech with your Concentrated Effect, and counter the area reduction by picking up the area nodes on the tree. This will give you a lot more damage, and longer freezes.

Quickly rearranged your tree, probably not optimal, but shows some of the ideas.

"
derriesen wrote:
Im currently working on an endless Cold snap Build. But my apporach is a bit different.

here is my current gear:
Spoiler

Here is the Tree I will get to once I respecced a little:

Gem Setups:

Cold Snap - Concentrated Effect - Increased AoE - FC - Cold Pen - Added Light (additional Shock chance)
HoI - Clarity - PoI - Reduced Mana
HoT - Curse on hit - Frost Bite - Reduced Mana
For Bosses: Vaal Saprk - Added Chaos - Added Cold - GMP - Inc Druation

Since I cant crit I try to have a very high chance to freeze. Apart from that the focus is on dealing damage, which also results in higher freeze durations aka survivability.
I decided against Ele Prolif after testing because: Allmost All mobs except Rares and Bosses die with one cast. Everything else gets frozen, and the AoE is big enough for Ele Prolif to be actually useless. I decided to instead go for a quality (to be improved) added lighting damage to get more chance to shock besides the 10% from tree (For bosses etc.)

Mana is an Issue why I wwent Eb and the Pledge helps tremendously. Very safe and fast clearing build (Ranged instant AoE Freeze with huge consistent damage? Hell Yeah!) Except against ele reflect mobs... but I'm working on this issue with more life and higher Pruity atm.

regards

Definitely looks very interesting, would love to involve you in my Theorycrafting sesh with Hellcat5 if you'd be interested? I reckon between the three of us we could come up with a very refined version of the Endless Cold Snapper?

"
Zed_ wrote:
"
Ikbosh wrote:
Re: Void Battery, I'm all ears, what would you recommend I use instead?
Re: Zealot's Oath, excellent question, not sure why I have it either.
Re: Shield, new to CI. Feel free to elaborate?

The Void Battery hurts your build, because it forces you to get all the power charges to get decent spell damage, and Resolute Technique on top of it just so that your Cold Snap will work. Just get a rare wand or sceptre with high spell damage, cold damage, cast speed, and mana regen.

For CI, the shield slot is a big source of total ES. Especially if you want to use Carcass on your chest slot, which also has low ES. My main point was you are not using the bonuses of your unique shield. Just get a rare shield with high ES, mana regen, and possibly some spell damage and resists.

If you fix your mana regen from the freed up passive points, and put some on your shield, ring, and weapon, you will be able to replace your Mana Leech with your Concentrated Effect, and counter the area reduction by picking up the area nodes on the tree. This will give you a lot more damage, and longer freezes.

Quickly rearranged your tree, probably not optimal, but shows some of the ideas.

So you mean something like:
or

Because they gave me much lower damage than Void Battery? I know I could get better wands etc, but was using an example of what I used prior to Battery. Since I sustain 8 Power charges constantly.
However, I'll do some more Math when I get home from work tonight and peruse your idea.

Correct Resolute Technique is /required/ for me to not crit so I don't lose power Charges due to Romira's, so I'm not sure why you would suggest removing Resolute from my Passive Tree? That would mean at times I would be sitting there waiting for a CD... likely killing me in the process?
And I mean if you're not getting Resolute Technique, I'd almost wonder why you'd even stay that side of the tree :)

Regarding shield, that makes sense, no I'm not using Aegis and I can see that really clearly, I intend to sell it off and look into alternatives.
Currently wonder if a Low Life build would work. But will spend some proper time theorycrafting that.

Mana regen is currently one of the biggest issues, but due to freeze duration for the time being I don't need to cast it non stop, it just means I don't actually do my DPS. However I just realized potentially swapping out Faster casting for Conc Effect may solve or help greatly solve my mana regen issue.

Currently, mana consumption is 98 per cast, at 0.53 cast per second. (1/0.53)*98 = 184.9056603773585
Changing to Conc effect makes 131 per cast, at 0.75 cast per second. (1/0.75)*131 = 174.6666666666667
However. DPS goes up by about 60-70% according to the tooltip with 8 Power charges.
Thus meaning my overall leach would be substantially higher per cast. This will require more testing.
Because now I hit fewer enemies per cast, potentially actually reducing my real damage per second, thus leach per second.

EDIT:

Update my Passive Tree, and goal passive tree. Will update main post with information.

New current passive tree:

New goal passive tree:

New goal passive tree has me respeccing certain points for better efficiency. So please take that into consideration.
IGN: Ikbosh
Last edited by Ikbosh on Mar 12, 2015, 11:43:21 AM
really weird setup on top of that 2,5k coldsnap is basicly nothing
HoI and HoT are a must have and i would use a heartbeaker for the culling on top of that you want a shitload of crit multi and no rt the moment you crit you pop a doedre

seriously 10k dps should be possible with the right setup
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
"
ventiman wrote:
really weird setup on top of that 2,5k coldsnap is basicly nothing
HoI and HoT are a must have and i would use a heartbeaker for the culling on top of that you want a shitload of crit multi and no rt the moment you crit you pop a doedre

seriously 10k dps should be possible with the right setup

Completely agree.
I have no recollection as to why it was originally designed or used those items.

However, care to elaborate a bit more on the concept you mentioned? My experience is now lacking, and decoding exactly what you meant has left me uncertain - I'll be googling a bit of it to try understand, but I feel I misunderstood something completely

EDIT: Culling Strike is not worth the huge sacrifice in DPS.
EDIT: Looking into Doedre's Elixir, I don't see how that will benefit me as such. That leaves huge room for error, and I can almost guarantee times when I wouldn't be able to cast. Due to charges on the Flask or sometihng? Or should I be sacrificing multiple Potion slots for these?

Currently planning on selling off some of it, and getting a tonne more ES and mana regen etc gear.
Last edited by Ikbosh on Mar 12, 2015, 8:18:42 PM
I always wanted to use taryns shiver, but normally cold spell and no crit sucks(so the staff is not so good), accept romiras cold snap. So i used it and a 5L in carcass for triple curse on hit.

Almost 7k av. dmg(tool tip) and 2,6 casts per sec.

Maybe this will help u.

Gear

Videos

Prestinct (made quick video just for this post)
PvP 1
PvP 2

Last edited by 1337fun on Mar 12, 2015, 9:50:49 PM
"
1337fun wrote:
I always wanted to use taryns shiver, but normally cold spell and no crit sucks(so the staff is not so good), accept romiras cold snap. So i used it and a 5L in carcass for triple curse on hit.

Maybe this will help u.

Gear

Videos

Prestinct (made quick video just for this post)
PvP 1
PvP 2

Quite intriguing. For me, I woudln't be able to use Taryn's Shiver, mainly due to insane loss of potential ES. You seem to have more damage, but I think it's due to the amount I've invested in ES. I believe once I've obtained better gear, I'll be able to be more lax on ES and focus more on damage (Thus increase life leech, thus increase in survivability).
You're also able to run EB - Meaning much higher Mana + Mana regen.
My cold snappers gear

Dont mind the links in helm they are there for the lolz and when i get hit i get power charges.

Tree
http://goo.gl/nj2EMf

average damage per snap is 8k and cast speed lets me cast it 4times a second for an effective dps of 32k. Havent tested atziri yet but the build has permafreezed every boss except palace dominus second form so far.
"
My cold snappers gear

Dont mind the links in helm they are there for the lolz and when i get hit i get power charges.

Tree
http://goo.gl/nj2EMf

average damage per snap is 8k and cast speed lets me cast it 4times a second for an effective dps of 32k. Havent tested atziri yet but the build has permafreezed every boss except palace dominus second form so far.

Looks close to what I posted earlier, but I dont get why you run so much CWDT? My experience with endless coldsnapping evolves more around monsters either beeing dead instantly or frozen, so I dont take much damage.

Too bad the Pledge is corrupted, the second green link is pretty wasted. You could put Added Cold there, If youre running EB plus a high clarity you shouldnt need mana leech anyways.

-----------------------------------------
"

Maybe this will help u.

The fact that critting is really bad on a cold snapper made me use Pledge of Hands.
With the Gear I posted earlier, a not so well optimized tree at level 79, I can dish out 5700 avg damge per cast (lvl 17 Cold Snap) and 4.5 casts per second = 25k nominal DPS. Which doesnt acount for 25% increased damage against frozen enemies, Shock and -70% Cold resistance on cursed enemies. So against a frozen shocked and cursed enemy with 50% cold resist it should be more like 55k.

My problem atm is more that I tend to one shot myself when I accedently cold snap a grout that gets reflect from an aura. Like 2 Enemies are ok and countered by my resist and leech but more enemies hit at once instakill me^^. I'm thinknig about taking the penetration out even though its a more multi, and adding added cold, so I dont reduce my own resistance on reflects so much...

--------------------------------------------
@Working with CI: I woudl absolutely use a shield if going CI and something like

in main hand. I would still use a Carcass because the AoE is so juicy and get the ES from the shield mainly, there are strong Shield nodes at Witch and Shadow (near gost reaver which you want anyways).

regards
Last edited by derriesen on Mar 13, 2015, 6:17:16 AM
Hey all!

I've updated the original post with my progress thanks to all your valuable input.
Seriously, appreciate everyone's comments and advice. Has definitely given me some better direction.

I'd love it if you'd review my current layout, do you see any better ways for me to use my skill points?
I've done many iterations and comparisons (using a skill tree calc) and can't seem to find anything much better.

I've fixed my skill placements up a bit and things are generally looking all round better.
I can play with a mate on 78 maps (I don't do the most damage at the moment though haha).

I'm still looking to get rid of that Mana Leech gem eventually and have a Cold Penetration instead.
Also in the process of trying to sell some of my items to get a 21 Cold Snap.

Will continue to keep everyone posted.
Last edited by Ikbosh on Mar 19, 2015, 12:55:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info