@GGG questions about Invitational Procedures.

I wish people who didn't participate in almost every race had a shot at this. I guess if I can pull off a sig record I might have a shot.
"
unsane wrote:
Terrex, more than 1 race isn't really viable due to scheduling issues. The more races it involves, the more invitees won't be able to participate.

Why exactly? If you are staying top 20 then you have to be doing quite a bit of races so I don't see this being an issue at all. One race is a pity event, we got it just because apparently people complained that pvp people got prizes so we got this one event to determine something. I honestly don't know because to me one race can't really show much at all, specially with the sig mods.
"
terrex wrote:
"
unsane wrote:
Terrex, more than 1 race isn't really viable due to scheduling issues. The more races it involves, the more invitees won't be able to participate.

Why exactly? If you are staying top 20 then you have to be doing quite a bit of races so I don't see this being an issue at all. One race is a pity event, we got it just because apparently people complained that pvp people got prizes so we got this one event to determine something. I honestly don't know because to me one race can't really show much at all, specially with the sig mods.

I do tend to agree with this. For instance, given 4 races I think Helman would win Duelist every time, and maybe even the event.

Given one race, I could easily win Duelist, which is a shame.

The multiple race format doesn't always lend itself to a shoutcasted event, unless they run back to back to back or something.

I am honestly not sure what the answer is, and I know that for GGG they have the same problem.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
"
Qarl wrote:

The invitations list is "Anyone who receives an alternate-art Demi."

If you receive more than one alternate-art demi, you will not receive multiple prizes.

The starting point is not x many spots from particular places.

The rule is, earn an alt-art demi, get an invite.

The feedback I am seeing is that our top racers don't want an invitational event, is this correct? If its more about the implementation, let us know what you want invitationals to look like.

Part of the goal was to be fairer with our prize support for our competitive players. There was justified criticism that our racers were not getting prizes, while the PVPers were.

The method of invitation is based on knowing roughly how many invitees we want. We explored the idea of choosing a sub-set of specific events to provide invitations directly, and then having secondary criteria from ladders. However, we couldn't find a way that really worked, and the association with alternate-art demis seemed easy to explain and understand, and reflect what players tend to play towards anyway.

the invetational is a GREAT idea, however, i'd like to comment on method of invitation which i dont think is great and generally agree with rithz's sentiments in this thread.

i took a look at my performance in the signature races for season 10 for an analysis and to make a point. im a relatively unknown racer when compared to the "power houses" but if we take a look at numbers i think i put up "top 20" result.

i participated in 9 sig races in which my overall (not class rank) ranking for finished events were, 23,14,8,4,7,16 (one being a re roll after a death). i chose to include unfinished events regardless of the fact they don't count to emphasize skill and to normalize results if the schedule permitted more opportunities for me to compete in sig races. overall ranking for unfinished, 9,8,7 (one i ripped after race ended, one was 10 min left in race, and one was with 1 min remaining).

these results come from a less than 50% participation rate based on available sigs. in general i think performance would have been similar given more races or maybe nominally better (more experience to increase performance, good rng, other factors - normalization of true performance with a larger sample size). given these stats:

-i didn't make top 20 rankings based on points in this season for alt-art demi
-i didnt make top 3 class for alt-art demi
-if i were to average those 9 rankings i would, on average, place 11 (overall) ***a huge hypothetical but with fair certainty this would be the case, if i would have participated in roughly the same number of events that the players in top 20 did, i would probably be ranked in this spot +/- a few***
-i won 1 demi

my point is, if we had an invitational last season, based on these results i would not make the invitational given its current method of invitation. the question becomes, are these results indicative of someone being a top 20 player that should receive and invitation? it's debatable, i would venture to say yes (but obviously i'm biased). regardless, it should at least provide enough doubt to question the current method. furthermore, i think that if i were to look at the results more closely on average i probably place top 3 in class most races, if not top 3 minimally top 5. the problem is, the only option i now have is to post a top 3 class record for a sig race (coming back to rithz's post), which is highly RNG driven and not illustrative of general performance/skill...unless youre motherfucking USAIN BOLT aka throzzz.

this touches on the criticism held by top racers that overall points don't necessarily correlate to your skill and where you stand vs other players. essentially an inherently flawed point system.

perhaps for next invitational other methods could be explored. mors offerend some input on this, past performance etc. im a fan of top 5 players from each class based on average performance in current season sig race (more intensive data mining). this would give you 35 participants but would require a separate system for ranking.

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
Last edited by HeaT1 on Feb 20, 2015, 3:22:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info