@GGG questions about Invitational Procedures.

"
Qarl wrote:
Part of the goal was to be fairer with our prize support for our competitive players. There was justified criticism that our racers were not getting prizes, while the PVPers were.

Just to be clear, I do appreciate the invitational and recognition for racers.

^tag, not about the prizes much to me but just the racing scene altogether and how the event is structured I guess.

I will just be happy with what we got though and hope for some positive changes.
Last edited by terrex on Feb 19, 2015, 5:07:30 PM
"
Qarl wrote:

The feedback I am seeing is that our top racers don't want an invitational event, is this correct? If its more about the implementation, let us know what you want invitationals to look like.

What? I've only seen terrex be against it.
More attention to races and more reasons to compete are great.

The only problem a lot of top racers find with the current event is that the two prizes available don't really work well with how racing functions, which is on a per class basis.
"
terrex wrote:
I find it pretty disgusting they are bringing real world prizes to races and rank overall. You have to play tendril/trap or leap slam in order to compete for this. Unless you are playing these classes / builds on vanilla and have been for quite some time, you probably will have no chance against people using these as their primary classes.

It just blows my mind how narrow this is actually appealing to if anyone at all in racing.

lol

No matter what class/spec you have you always end up with like 4 skills at most, 1 singletarget and 1-2 aoe and 1 aura. It's honestly not that big of a difference. Learn some basic attributes, quest rewards, specs, all which are attainable simply by asking anyone who plays this and that, or just looking it up. Rest boils down to basic rng, just like anything else in this game.

Most likely the race will be 1 hour or less since that seems to be the new norm (also most balanced for different classes), which means there's even less to learn than if you had to go past act2.

"
Qarl wrote:

The feedback I am seeing is that our top racers don't want an invitational event, is this correct? If its more about the implementation, let us know what you want invitationals to look like.

Not at all, QQ gon QQ. The roccat races were far from perfect, that doesn't mean they were bad in any way. I liked doing them, and learned a lot even though I was far from winning.
[quote="Hilbert"]
CT should be around the art of PKing and not griefing lower levels.
[/quote]
http://www.twitch.tv/zoroxo123
"
ZoRoXo wrote:
"
terrex wrote:
I find it pretty disgusting they are bringing real world prizes to races and rank overall. You have to play tendril/trap or leap slam in order to compete for this. Unless you are playing these classes / builds on vanilla and have been for quite some time, you probably will have no chance against people using these as their primary classes.

It just blows my mind how narrow this is actually appealing to if anyone at all in racing.

lol

No matter what class/spec you have you always end up with like 4 skills at most, 1 singletarget and 1-2 aoe and 1 aura. It's honestly not that big of a difference. Learn some basic attributes, quest rewards, specs, all which are attainable simply by asking anyone who plays this and that, or just looking it up. Rest boils down to basic rng, just like anything else in this game.

I just don't think one event is an accurate representation of what potential people have.

"We're running our first Racing Invitational this season. Anyone who receives an alternate-art Demi (i.e. the top 20 by season points and the top 3 of each class in the signature race) will be invited to the invitational event at the end of the season. It'll be a race similar to the signature race but with a different seed."

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1198387

"
boof wrote:
What? I've only seen terrex be against it.
More attention to races and more reasons to compete are great.

The only problem a lot of top racers find with the current event is that the two prizes available don't really work well with how racing functions, which is on a per class basis.

Not against an invitational, just bothered by certain parts. Sorry if this was unclear.

It has potential without a doubt but one event seems rushed. If it was 3-4 races, maybe different mods and some being more difficult. It could still even be rewarded for placement points based on overall but at least there is more risk, more actions required and a lot more racing itself.
Last edited by terrex on Feb 19, 2015, 5:57:08 PM
I also really like the idea of an end of season invite only race event. Any negativity was mostly about guessing who gets to participate (answered) and how it will be structured (still curious). All the top racers competing for a shared objective is exciting for sure. The question is then: Is there a best way to do this?

Some random thoughts...

1 race (yolo)
4 races (your best run overall)
4 races (average of your best 3)
"
Throzz wrote:
I also really like the idea of an end of season invite only race event. Any negativity was mostly about guessing who gets to participate (answered) and how it will be structured (still curious). All the top racers competing for a shared objective is exciting for sure. The question is then: Is there a best way to do this?

Some random thoughts...

1 race (yolo)
4 races (your best run overall)
4 races (average of your best 3)

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1198387

"
We're running our first Racing Invitational this season. Anyone who receives an alternate-art Demi (i.e. the top 20 by season points and the top 3 of each class in the signature race) will be invited to the invitational event at the end of the season. It'll be a race similar to the signature race but with a different seed.

This is what I am basing my reaction on.
"
tagpt wrote:
One concern is it will give an advantage to players like us who have been racing since closed beta.

I meant solely demis won in the Signature race only this season.

Further:

As someone who plays a class that has never been "on meta" I am very open about how upset I was that there couldn't be 6 prizes when 5 were given to GGG for the Roccat.

The people who won the Roccat Races were all primary\secondary Duelist players, and one map hacker.

I understand we have 5 fingers, and we count in base 5 or 10.... doesn't matter this game is based around 6 man parties and 7 classes now and 6 back then. It makes no sense in one week races to award to top 5 places and it doesn't make sense here or in the Roccat race either.

We had this discussion in mumble and CWU more or less said "life isn't fair."

I think a lot of people will echo this sentiment.

1. You trip and break your phone. Your friend drops his all the time and nothing bad happens to his. This one time for you and it broke. Nothing you can do about it now, it broke, you can try not to drop a new one again but sometimes life isn't fair. Correct Usage

2. I play and practice Marauder all the time, and for every other racing event, excellence is determined intra-class, not overall. This situation applies to Terrex on ranger in this thread, and others I am sure. Top two by experience in a environment where balance is never achieved, thus top 1 of each class, is thrown out for this one time. "Lifes not fair suck it up" Incorrect usage

The difference is situation 1 shows that since nothing can be done, sucking it up is the best course. The sitution in 2 is justifying unfairness because it doesn't pertain to CWU since his two primary classes in playing PoE has been Duelist + Templar.

The world is not automatically "just", it only becomes so through actions.

None of this is to say that CWU wouldn't be an odds on favorite to win anyways, but just my 2c.

If the end prizes can't be fair just because they only have two, then my interest is in making the race as fair as possible.

Another proposal I had was one prize for caster, and one for melee. So Scion, Templar, Shadow, Witch would be one group where top 1 is a prize, and second group is Duelist, Marauder, Ranger.

This is still inherently unfair for Shadow, Scion, Ranger and Marauder, but its fairer in my opinion.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
Last edited by Morsexier on Feb 19, 2015, 6:43:35 PM
To clear up any confusion, early in this topic I have shown pretty negative feedback and didn't really explain much. I've never really played games with the goal of winning something in real life and to be honest in most cases it's not that appealing. This is my own preference. It's great to see prizes cause people love that stuff and it does have the potential to create a more competitive environment with a common goal depending on the circumstances.

I am appreciative of an event but butthurt it is announced with only one race to determine the results which kinda has been explained throughout the topic now. If there will be more invitational events I just hope that we can show off more skill in a more in depth series of races. I am looking forward to seeing how this invitational gets played out.
Last edited by terrex on Feb 19, 2015, 8:09:35 PM
"
Morsexier wrote:

None of this applies to me, but from a less biased viewpoint: +1 from me. The logic is sound but I still feel with two prizes there isn't a good way to make it fair for all classes. I don't think splitting it by role is the solution.
SeoHyun (www.twitch.tv/Awkamess)
My racing guides for S11:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15DtU8a7ruzt_q7x51pS6lG4QOl_XxAmcdP6RU-61qUU

"Terrex is irrelevant." ~Lonestar420 2015
"
Morsexier wrote:
Could you clarify this
"
The starting point is not x many spots from particular places.

maybe I am not reading this correctly, but you are saying that we will have this event be limited by purely alternate art winners?

Yes? Maybe i'm misreading your misunderstanding, but the overarching comment is that you get 1 spot if you won any number of alt-art demis. That seems to make everything crystal clear.

"
Morsexier wrote:
Or are you saying we can help determine a way to have the event?

We can help determine next season's Invtational, if we don't like its structure this season.

Terrex, more than 1 race isn't really viable due to scheduling issues. The more races it involves, the more invitees won't be able to participate.

Equalizing 7 unequally balanced classes for 2 prizes seems simple. Rough example (may need tweaking):

A) Have the Invitational be the same race as the Signature (different seed is fine).

B) For each class, sum up the top 3 season Signature experience results and divide by 3 (to minimize outliers).

C) In the Invitational, your score is your experience / B for your class.

[several edits] Example with numbers:

Mors made the Season 9 Invitational, played Marauder, and got 16,000,000 experience. B = (15518859+14371898+13473077)/3 = 14454611.333. Mors scores 16000000/14454611.333 = 1.107.

Terrex made the Season 9 Invitational, played Ranger, and got 14,500,000 experience. B = (14236684+13821985+12818233)/3 = 13625634. Terrex scores 14500000/13625634 = 1.064.

Throzz made the Season 9 Invitational, played Templar, and got 18,500,000 experience. B = (18206279+17002683+16879611)/3 = 17362857.666. Throzz scores 18500000/17362857.666 = 1.065.

Each player gave it their all and beat the Sig record by 300k-500k. Mors 1st, Throzz 2nd.
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
Last edited by unsane on Feb 20, 2015, 2:18:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info