2.0! Fill the screen with 42.5k dps poison clouds! (56.6k with curse) Tanky too! HC & Atziri Viable!

If you are looking for a very powerful solo build able to do plenty of dps and still be very tanky, you have come to the right place! With this Poison Arrow Scion, I have tackled Atziri many times, often deathless, soloed plenty of difficult end-game maps deathless, including Whakawairua Tuahu (the unique stand map), Oba's Cursed Trove, Death and taxes, and even Poorjoy's Asylum, yes, Deathless! Also this character can run any map mop in creation! (including BM, any reflect, no regen, no leech, etc.) so UNID maps are very doable. I am currently lvl 94, with some very expensive gear. However it is by no means mandatory to spend that much on this build. I did because I make lot's of money with this char and love having end-game gear. You could build it spending only about 3.5 ex. 3 for the mandatory Drillneck, and 1/2 for other gear. (I've been informed by the community that you don't even need a drillneck, so You could potentially create it using less than one exalt!) So without further ado, let's jump right into it:

Offence

Here is my main source of damage:

My main skill is: Poison Arrow - Pierce - Conc. Effect - Slower projectiles - Empower

The reason I use 100% pierce (I get the rest of the pierce chance from passives) with Poison Arrow is because
1: It allows me to make many poison clouds with one attack without the damage penalty from GMP, lMP, chain, etc., and
2: It gives PA a huge damage boost due to Drillneck (with Drillneck equipped, Pierce gives substantially more dps to the cloud than either faster projectiles or slower projectiles).

I am currently using a 21/20 PA and a lvl 4 empower, however you could still reach substantial damage with a lvl 19 PA and a lvl 2 empower.

A +3 bow is not completely nessesary, however it is very good to damage and I would recommend a 4-link +3 bow over a 5-Link +2 bow. Mine cost 2 ex, however a 4L would barley cost anything. I am currently saving up for a +3 6L with room to add a damage over time mod. I will then add Faster projectiles to my setup.

Defense

I use Iron reflexes with this build as I am not a big fan of evasion

For my chest piece, I use:

So I pretty much always have max endurance charges when I get hit as I kill things quite often.

I also use: Vaal grace - CwDT - Immortal call - Increased duration

So that when I do get hit, if it's 440 damage or more, I get up to 5 seconds of physical immunity instead of 3 seconds of onslaught, which I definitely prefer. Vaal grace is in there to get the duration increase, It doesn't trigger when I take 440 damage because it requires too high of a level. I use Vaal grace because I always like to use a Vaal skill and no damaging skills work because my weapon does very little damage on it's own and I didn't allocate any spell damage passives. Even Vaal haste isn't very useful because poison clouds don't stack and the build is mostly a solo build. Vaal grace or Vaal summon skeletons are the only ones that would be at all useful.

Reflect is completely irrelevant because I do chaos DOT, Corrupting blood is also irrelevant because I may or may not hit them and if I do it's once or twice, even proximity shield is irrelevant because the cloud damage counts as originating from where the cloud is located.

Passive Tree

Here is my passive tree at level 94:

My plan for later levels is to just grab more small life passives.

Here's the general path I suggest taking while leveling:
Leveling

Keep in mind that these are really just a suggestion, anything that suites your fancy will do just fine I'm sure.

Gems/Jewels

My gem setup:
Poison arrow - slower projectiles - Concentrated Effect - Pierce - Empower
Clarity
Cast When Damage Taken - Immortal Call - Increased Duration - Vaal Grace
Vulnerability - Increased Area of Effect - Phase Run - Increased Duration
Summon Flame Golem - Portal - Blink Arrow - Faster Casting

My Jewels:

I use this because I don't have enough inteligence if I don't use it. I socket it into the socket on the far right of the tree after the "Projectile Damage" Nodes so as to turn enough Dex into Int, but not much more than is needed as Dex is more useful to my character then Int.

This is a very powerful Jewel for a Poison Arrow character if you can find a good place to put it. I only use one as I can only find one good place for it. I socket it on the right of the tree next to the Shadow right above "Blood Drinker". It overlaps some with the radius of "Fertile Mind" to increase it's effectiveness. This is also part of why I placed Fertile Mind where I did.

For the rest of my Jewels, I shoot for damage and life. Most of them aren't very top-notch, however I crafted the Loath Solace and it ended up pretty darn nice. However, I exalted it and got the Crit chance :/ Oh well.

Bandits/Golem

Normal: Oak
Cruel: Kill all
Merci: Kill all or Oak

I killed all in merci not planning on using the Daresso's Defiance setup I use now, it would probably be better to help Oak, however I don't think it's worth it to spend 20 regrets for the change.

For a Golem, I suggest probably using Fire, however if you are really afraid of dying, or are trying the build in hardcore, a chaos golem might be used instead.

Current Gear

For explanation see Offence.

An overall good chest piece for an Iron reflexes character. For more explanation see Defense.

Nice boots with great move speed (extra-great with corruption)

Just want to get good amounts of AR/EVA, as much life as possible, and a bit of resistances.

Ring's are really where I get all of my resistances. I got two pretty good tri-res ring's with as much life as I could get.

A pretty sweet belt with great Life and Armour and some decent resistance rolls.

My Ammy is very nice, It cost 1 ex and has Great mods: %Armour, and tons and tons of life. The total pseudo is 110.5!

Pretty standard flask here, you want mostly life flask that go fast so you can get your life quickly in a pinch

Stats

Spoiler
Picture very slightly outdated. I have updated one of my jewels to be better since this picture was taken.

The reason it says the poison cloud only does 26k dps is because the tooltip doesn't take into account Conc. Effect. You can verify that here.

I have no idea why my tooltip only says PA has a 70% pierce chance, My character sheet says it has 100% and trust me, PA always pierces.

Physical Damage reduction is 66% with 3 charges, 71% with my granite flask, and 83% with both.

Irony
My chaos res is -57% :P Good thing there isn't reflect for Chaos DoT!

Gameplay Videos

I made some gameplay videos before 2.0 to show off how crazy awesome this build is! I might make some more videos in 2.0 if I get around to it. Keep in mind this build got substantially better in 2.0, raising my DPS with curse from 30k to 56.6k. I made three quick videos: (keep in mind that my frame rate drops a significant amount while I'm recording, so I'm not quite playing at my fullest potential)
Unidentified rare shipyard

https://youtu.be/KeTlO1lGVEQ

Map mods:
Unknown besides Vulnerability.

Blood magic palace

https://youtu.be/0ccEfLkeQ_Y

Map mods:
46% more magic monsters
Players have blood magic
Monsters reflect 18% of physical damage
Monsters' skills chain 2 additional times
Rare monsters each have a nemesis mod

Notes:
It really wasn't a good idea to tackle Dom with both BM and the FPS decrease I get from recording, usually I can take him down easy, but here i did die, I wouldn't have attempted Dom if I wasn't trying to show off for the camera :P

Atziri run

https://youtu.be/KhxTlHL15tw?t=6m36s

Notes:
This link skips right to the Atziri fight, feel free to rewind and watch the entire video.

I generally die about once in the total apex of sacrifice, however I do have the occasional run where I do the entire apex deathless which makes me very happy. It's best to do Atziri when you recently leveld.

Advice:
For the two Oversouls, I would recommend not cursing them as when I have done this it often leads to one dying much faster than the other one.

For the trio, I suggest killing the ranged one in the center of the screen then kiting the other two around and try to kill the cycloner next as I think that the other one doesn't do as much damage and is best to be left to the end.

For Atziri herself, Feel free to curse as her physical damage and dot is not very threatening compared to her flame blasts of death. Also try to always remain moving because PA doesn't require you to stand still to do your damage, and being agile is always beast.

Hardcore

I don't play in hardcore because my internet has severe lag spikes, however I think this build could be tweaked to work in hardcore. You may not be able to reach the full 30k dps although you could still achieve pretty good dps and you don't have to worry about reflect! You might have to spend a bit more money on good life armor, possibly even Kaom's despite the fire damage part being useless. Although Kaom's is pretty pricey. Regardless, the fact that I ran my first, second, and Third Poorjoy's I've ever done deathless with this build shows that it could probably be tweaked to work in HC.

Final notes

This build is very fun to play and I've been amazed at the content it has gotten me through, It's very nice to not have any issue with mobs that give itself and nearby allies ES due to Chaos damage. I would greatly appreciate any feedback/suggestions/etc. and feel free to leave a comment or even message me ingame at Sheleq, If I'm on I'd be happy to chat with you.

And that concludes my build guide! hope you enjoyed it :)
I am a shadow. I was born the youngest daughter of a respected family, raised to fight, weep and bleed for God and the Order. I would have died to keep my mouth shut. Professional integrity, it's called. That lord sang a different tune once I had taken their children.
Last edited by jugglereli on Aug 13, 2015, 8:56:34 PM
I made a tree for Evasion route with phase acro, no MoM, but a bit more life if anyone wants to take a look, I just prefer Evasion over armor.

Also does MoM do much for you? considering you have like 1k mana and 26 mana regen a sec? I heard people who take MoM say u need 1/4 - 1/3 of ur life as unreserved mana.
Steam- squurellkiller
IGN- Sir_Loots (Standard)
Last edited by squurellkiller on Feb 18, 2015, 2:07:59 AM
Thanks for adding a tree with Eva instead of AR, I personally prefer AR but this way works just as well for all you Eva-type people. And as for MOM, I seem to pretty much always have full mana when I get hit as long as the map isn't a no regen or half recovery map. I contribute this much to the use of hybrid potions, also my mana regen is actually 58.4 mana per second with Clarity, I foolishly took the screenshot while in town not thinking that through.
I am a shadow. I was born the youngest daughter of a respected family, raised to fight, weep and bleed for God and the Order. I would have died to keep my mouth shut. Professional integrity, it's called. That lord sang a different tune once I had taken their children.
I accidently created a comment, and can't seem to delete it, only edit it so ignore this :p
Last edited by jugglereli on Feb 20, 2015, 7:35:06 PM
I like it, however I did some changes that gave more attack speed / accuracy / strength instead of some intelligence. I also skipped the mana + mana potions and finished the 'Thrill killer' cluster instead:

Btw is Drillneck really a mandatory item? I don't have one yet and I still do ~9k tooltip damage.
Personal feedback thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1345148
Last edited by phaero on Feb 21, 2015, 8:36:20 AM
The change with taking att speed / accuracy / strength instead of int works about as good. Although I will mention that att speed isn't so useful with this build because since Poison clouds don't stack, I don't tend to attack at att speed. Also I really like the idea of taking thrill killer cluster instead of mana & mana potions, I think I'll respec to that also and take an extra life node. I guess Drillneck isn't entirely necessary, but its just about the best item you could get if you're running pierce. Just for reference, If I take off Drillneck, My dps goes down about 3.3k (actual dps not tooltip dps), plus my pierce is only 93%.
Last edited by jugglereli on Feb 21, 2015, 6:49:32 PM
One question, instead of Arcane chemistry or Thrill Killer, how about taking dynamo above scion life wheel? will it end up being better even though it will take one more point to do so?
Steam- squurellkiller
That actually might be a good idea, the amount of max mana is more than you would get from the thrill killer cluster but less than you would get from the arcane chemistry cluster. and PA would go down from 87 mana cost to 76 which is a pretty big difference. I would say Dynamo is almost definitely better than thrill killer if you're not going to use MOM, however I'm a bit torn. I think I'll use Thrill killer until next time I level up and I'll decide if I like it or if I'll use the next point I got to spec into Dynamo instead.
I got these today. Crafted the DoT on bow and bought empower for cheap
. Gonna make this build soon, dont know if i can afford Drillneck tho. Gonna try without it.
Steam- squurellkiller
Gear Lvl 86
Spoiler
Doing like 7k tooltip dps without Vuln, It's pretty good and cheap considering its a 4link with no drillneck. Actually, if i calculate in conc effect an vuln i get more than 14k dps, thats nice.
Steam- squurellkiller
Last edited by squurellkiller on Feb 22, 2015, 10:24:53 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info