Coming back, is it worth it ?

Hello there, i'm thinking about coming back after almost one year (i left after the Atziri patch), however i admit i'm a bit lazy to browse through several pages of patch notes to find the needed info, so...

-i used to love the cyclone CoC discharge build, is it still as good as it used to be ? I had quite good gear for that and it was by far the most fun character for me, so that worries me if they nerfed it to the ground

-i got tired of the overall poor loots (doing maps for days and days with nothing interesting to ever pickup on the ground), did they improve that or should i still expect to run maps for months until i get a useable item ?

-how bad is the economy in Standard lately ?

-any fun/effective new builds out there without a lot of gear or do most interesting builds still require items impossible to find anyway ?

I pretty much stopped because i grew tired of doing the same maps over and over with the RNG fest (Atziri fragments were the nail in the coffin for me), and being unable to build the characters i wanted to as i didn't have hundreds of exalts to buy the needed items. Any hope or, still the same ?
It's mostly the same, although you totally need to check out hideouts, and Masters are fantastic, at least once you level them up and are able to add mods to items. Masters also have special currency exchange rates when they're in your hideout (for example, once daily Vorici will sell you 20 Fuse for 64 Jeweller's).

Still expect to run maps with little to show for it except shards, occasional sets to use in the Chaos recipe, and bloodshot eyes. Oh, and a tiny bit of xp.

Standard economy is killer for good gear, good for great gear, but has awful prices compared to other leagues for amazing gear. The economy's pretty stable. Right now 1 Ex = 34ish Chaos = 15-16 Regret = 200-240 Chromatic = 40-42 Fuse...

You could wait a bit and come back for Act 4.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Tempada on Feb 12, 2015, 8:51:41 PM
"
Axylxys wrote:
Hello there, i'm thinking about coming back after almost one year (i left after the Atziri patch), however i admit i'm a bit lazy to browse through several pages of patch notes to find the needed info, so...

-i used to love the cyclone CoC discharge build, is it still as good as it used to be ? I had quite good gear for that and it was by far the most fun character for me, so that worries me if they nerfed it to the ground

-i got tired of the overall poor loots (doing maps for days and days with nothing interesting to ever pickup on the ground), did they improve that or should i still expect to run maps for months until i get a useable item ?

-how bad is the economy in Standard lately ?

-any fun/effective new builds out there without a lot of gear or do most interesting builds still require items impossible to find anyway ?

I pretty much stopped because i grew tired of doing the same maps over and over with the RNG fest (Atziri fragments were the nail in the coffin for me), and being unable to build the characters i wanted to as i didn't have hundreds of exalts to buy the needed items. Any hope or, still the same ?

1. Cyclone coc should still work without much problem. But if you relied on block or dodge, don't get your hopes up. Damage avoidance was destroyed recently.

2. Loot is still shit. You're more likely to grow five feet more than to get good loot in this game.

3. Standard has been going down and down. Don't farm there. Farm in the temporary leagues.

4. Still the same. The only "cheap" builds were damage avoidance and those were put six feet into the ground recently. Expect to spend exalts to get a build working.

I'd just stay out of PoE. I'm still trying to get at least one build that I'll enjoy working but no sign yet. But low-life requires a shavronne's wrappings, mjolner requires too many items, cast on crit does require some good gear (which I have none of and no exalts to begin getting the gear), and all of the builds I can get working are not to my liking.

If you're into searing bond, totems, RF, Incinerate, or other builds like those then yet PoE is worthwhile.
Mmmh, that's a bit of what i feared :/ I never liked new leagues, starting all over every few months isn't appealing for me. Meh i'll probably try to put together something close to my old build and see the Masters stuff.

And lol the rates, before i left exalts were going for around 20-25 chaos.

Thanks for the answers by the way, is there anything to be careful about masters, such as picking the wrong one or some builds need a special one ? The wiki wasn't really clear on what they do, from what i understood they sell random gear and can be used to add one affix to items ?
Last edited by Axylxys on Feb 12, 2015, 10:35:26 PM
"
Axylxys wrote:

Thanks for the answers by the way, is there anything to be careful about masters, such as picking the wrong one or some builds need a special one ? The wiki wasn't really clear on what they do, from what i understood they sell random gear and can be used to add one affix to items ?

- Elreon needs a great clearing speed, AOE damage;
- Vorici needs one to be careful and pay attention to the requirement of a particular mission (don't kill boss, keep boss on low life for 10 sec, don't kill any guard, etc.);
- Vagan needs PvP capabilities;
- Haku calls for great movement speed and high armor;
- Tora, Zana, Catarina all call for no special preps, just do their missions like you do maps.
"
astralgazer wrote:
- Haku calls for great movement speed and high armor;
And elemental resistances. And chill/freeze immunity. His missions are basically "try not to die while running through all kinds of shit without using movement skills"
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Also don't forget that game client now spies on you.
In years to come
You hear my name
When darkness falls
On judgment day
"
Lorginir wrote:
Also don't forget that game client now spies on you.
@OP: In case you get alarmed by this statement, just know that usage of 3rd-party programs to modify game content (primarily with regard to cheat hacks) will get you a straight-up, no warning ban. This unfortunately includes tools used for QoL purposes, so if you were using any before this, don't load them up again.
"
Axylxys wrote:
Mmmh, that's a bit of what i feared :/ I never liked new leagues, starting all over every few months isn't appealing for me. Meh i'll probably try to put together something close to my old build and see the Masters stuff.

I also started again some weeks ago and i also don't like the idea of leagues. I'm not a "24/7 player" so i'm lucky to have at least a little bit of stuff.

I'd say if you don't have the high expectations to have gear for those 100+ exalts builds quick, you can still have a good time.

For me i started really simple with a ground slam/heavy strike marauder to get into the game again.
When he turned 50 i started a flicker strike shadow which got to 60, but he is a little bit squishy so i played the marauder again for farming currency.
He is 73 now and i'm making a new one with ground slam, herald of ash and ele prolif.
Oh, and i made a summoner witch with skels, zombies, spectres and dual totems with summon raging spirit.

I really like it here again, especially after Blizzard "destroyed" my DH. I like D3, but PoE has so much more to offer regarding variety in builds, the currency system, masters, maps etc pp, so i don't mind if the high-end-items are not affordable.

Last but not least: it's free, so knock yourself out ;)
ehh ive been trying to level my 89 char to 90 but i just cant seem to motivate myself at all.

the next upgrade to my gear would cost me 40 - 150 exalted orbs. and that is to upgrade from a crappy 6l i found on the ground and put 10 chaos into.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info