Is there a way to lock in 120fps in this game?

Sorry I never posted back here. (I really wish these forums has a subscribe feature!!)

To report, I did use nVidia Inspector to limit my framerate, and it does improve things a LOT. Whenever there is a major update to the game (and I have to reapply the framerate limiting) I am reminded of how much it helps.

This supports my theory that the major cause of the extra blurriness wasn't occasional low (70-ish) framerates but rather vsync's tendency to make framerates jump up and down in large increments (rather than 1 fps at a time, like a gsync monitor or any monitor with vsync turned off).

So if anyone else has a similar problem (whether you have a high-end rig or not; I bet this solution would have fixed things while I was still kicking the gtx 650 ti), please give that solution a try.

And again, thank you very much Pewzor and Grughal.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Just adding to this, I personally use MSI Afterburner to monitor my temperatures and at the same time, limit my FPS when needed. I feel that 800 FPS is not needed in PoE, and it makes my GPU card hotter than it needs to be, so I limit FPS to 120 for this game and I dont feel any difference.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Turning on vertical sync for the game should be enough.
For maximal framerate, it's better however to have it turned off.

The vertical sync doesn't guarantee the framerate to be same as your monitor refresh rate, but after each rendered frame it will wait until vertical sync event occurs before updating the image to monitor.

To the CPU vs GPU bottleneck:
It still looks like the GPU is bottleneck for PoE. My AMD 2 3 Ghz processor rarely goes more than 50% of usage on the cores the game is using.

Upgrading graphics card maybe the solution, but usually anything above 30 FPS should be good for smooth play. In your case it should be no problem therefore.

AMD offers 5 Ghz processor to note for CPU bottlenecked applications.
MY CHALLENGES ARE DONE ON HC, IT'S NOT SC GUYS!
Last edited by Filousov on Mar 30, 2015, 11:18:44 AM
To reduce the framerate drops due to bad optimization and keep a minimum of 120 fps, I reduced shadow complexity.

With a GTX970, changing other parameters has little effect (I keep them maxed), but decreasing shadow complexity does have a big impact and allows me to keep the 120fps nearly full time, effectively reducing motion blur to zero with my 120Hz monitor, including texts.
Buy an SSD ... oh wait you already have one. *Facepalm*
I play in like constant 5 fps
its like having a "really poor performance" killer mod
"
tienbasse wrote:
To reduce the framerate drops due to bad optimization and keep a minimum of 120 fps, I reduced shadow complexity.

With a GTX970, changing other parameters has little effect (I keep them maxed), but decreasing shadow complexity does have a big impact and allows me to keep the 120fps nearly full time, effectively reducing motion blur to zero with my 120Hz monitor, including texts.

Thanks, will try this as well.

To the person who says GPU is the bottleneck: My upgrade from a GTX 650 ti to a GTX 980 had virtually zero impact on my framerates. Take from that what you will.
Wash your hands, Exile!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info