Is there a way to lock in 120fps in this game?

I ask because it makes a big difference to the visibility of text labels while running around, and as we know PoE has a ton of those.

With vsync on, the fps jumps around from 90 to 143 or thereabouts while in town (which I don't understand completely, as my asus vg278h monitor is only 120hz). Going out and fighting causes the fps to drop as low as 70fps.

I'm pretty sure it's the variable frame rate (quickly hopping around) that causes text to look blurrier, because turning vsync off reduces the jumping around so that text is appears smooth again. Of course, that also introduces tearing.

I've struggled with this for the past 15 months or so with the following specs:

i5 4670k
SSD
8GB ram
GTX 650 ti.

Just today I upgraded to 16GB ram (shouldn't make a difference) and a GTX 980 (SHOULD make a difference), and I'm seeing almost no changes in the above patterns whatsoever.

Is this a platform bottleneck, which I can do nothing about? I'm sad if so.
Wash your hands, Exile!
You can try using software like FPS Limiter, it should work.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
I ask because it makes a big difference to the visibility of text labels while running around, and as we know PoE has a ton of those.

With vsync on, the fps jumps around from 90 to 143 or thereabouts while in town (which I don't understand completely, as my asus vg278h monitor is only 120hz). Going out and fighting causes the fps to drop as low as 70fps.

I'm pretty sure it's the variable frame rate (quickly hopping around) that causes text to look blurrier, because turning vsync off reduces the jumping around so that text is appears smooth again. Of course, that also introduces tearing.

I've struggled with this for the past 15 months or so with the following specs:

i5 4670k
SSD
8GB ram
GTX 650 ti.

Just today I upgraded to 16GB ram (shouldn't make a difference) and a GTX 980 (SHOULD make a difference), and I'm seeing almost no changes in the above patterns whatsoever.

Is this a platform bottleneck, which I can do nothing about? I'm sad if so.

This is not a platform bottleneck on your end although bottle-necking will always be there since its usually your CUP bottlenecking your GFX or your GFX bottlenecking your CPU. This is true even if a poor coded application is used (like PoE in this case).

In PoE's case which has an extremely dated and poorly optimized engine as well as very well known poor netcode GGG chose to use made the whole thing feel even worse. Also PoE is not all core aware, its still the old school one single mega sized thread with some insignificant threads for stuff like sound or chat handling. Which means PoE is "mainly" using only 1 of the 4 cores you got in your 4670k.

Lastly even tho PoE's graphical engine is very taxing on the hardware, yet its not optimized enough to put out consistent fps even tho both of your GFX and CPU are both capable to do "more".

No matter how good your hardwares are, and you could have a super secret 32-core Core i9 9970k at 9.8ghz with 1 TB of DDR4, it will still be limited by poor coding.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
Last edited by Pewzor on Feb 8, 2015, 5:55:13 AM
"
Pewzor wrote:

This is not a platform bottleneck on your end although bottle-necking will always be there since its usually your CUP bottlenecking your GFX or your GFX bottlenecking your CPU. This is true even if a poor coded application is used (like PoE in this case).

In PoE's case which has an extremely dated and poorly optimized engine as well as very well known poor netcode GGG chose to use made the whole thing feel even worse. Also PoE is not all core aware, its still the old school one single mega sized thread with some insignificant threads for stuff like sound or chat handling. Which means PoE is "mainly" using only 1 of the 4 cores you got in your 4670k.

Lastly even tho PoE's graphical engine is very taxing on the hardware, yet its not optimized enough to put out consistent fps even tho both of your GFX and CPU are both capable to do "more".

No matter how good your hardwares are, and you could have a super secret 32-core Core i9 9970k at 9.8ghz with 1 TB of DDR4, it will still be limited by poor coding.

Pretty much this, I get frame stutter at times (on similar situations) no matter if my settings are max or min.

But, to improve your situation... since you're using gtx980, get nVidia Inspector -> profile settings -> path of exile. Set frame limiter on and turn vsync off.
Thanks for the advice and detailed information, all. I'll try the frame limiter idea.
Wash your hands, Exile!
If you have a 120hz monitor, v-synch should (as I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong) keep it at 120fps. The fps drops are problems with your rig and the game. Can't do much about that other than getting better hardware.
"Minions of your minions are your minion's minions, not your minions." - Mark
"
ciknay wrote:
If you have a 120hz monitor, v-synch should (as I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong) keep it at 120fps. The fps drops are problems with your rig and the game. Can't do much about that other than getting better hardware.

His rig can play BF4, CoD or Skyrim at max settings no problem. Problem is the game, and you can only use overkill (and the OP IS overkilling it) hardware to squeeze out a bit more from a crappy engine and single-threaded application.

All in all seeing that GGG still refuse to use better netcode/looser client trusting even after the thousands and thousands of players have left the game and the countless QQ on desyncs, I doubt GGG optimize their core/engine coding since it takes even more development resources than a simple netcode improvements that will go a long way on the dreaded desync issue.

One thing I know for sure however, there will be more microtransactions coming.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
"
Pewzor wrote:
"
ciknay wrote:

His rig can play BF4, CoD or Skyrim at max settings no problem. Problem is the game, and you can only use overkill (and the OP IS overkilling it) hardware to squeeze out a bit more from a crappy engine and single-threaded application.

All in all seeing that GGG still refuse to use better netcode/looser client trusting even after the thousands and thousands of players have left the game and the countless QQ on desyncs, I doubt GGG optimize their core/engine coding since it takes even more development resources than a simple netcode improvements that will go a long way on the dreaded desync issue.

He clearly has no idea about hardware. No need to explain.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
The game is poorly optimized. That's about it, really. I just recently upgraded to a laptop with a 980M (the fastest notebook card on the market) and the game still gets choppy when there's a bunch of effects going on in let's say, a full group or at least 4 people.
Standard shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/911509
"
Pewzor wrote:

That's like predicting QQ on these forums. Not really hard ;)
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info