[outdated] Farvel's crit dagger BUDGET cycloner

I will not be updating this guide, the main reason is that I absolutely hate the cyclone rework (50% less dmg on the first hit)and I do not wish to play any pure cycloner (aka non CoC) builds as long as cyclone remains in this state.

Here's a link to my new guide, in-depth poison trapper prolif

Hey guys, quick update for 2.0

I don't have time right now to fully update this, expect the big update to come in the following week (final version of the build will include all variants of crit cyclone viable as a shadow). However, I can give you the updated tree and links (gear should remain the same, swap coil for daresso's defiance)

2.0 Passive tree (click me)

Links :

5L =
Cyclone + blood magic + melee phys dmg + added fire + faster attacks
6th link =
Increased crit damage OR life leech OR fortify OR phys to lightning OR increased area of effect / conc effect

CWDT = Cwdt + tempest shield + immortal call + inc duration

Movement = Whirling blades + blood magic + fortify + faster attacks

Curse on hit =
1) Tempest shield + curse on hit + assa mark + blood magic
2) Herald of thunder + curse on hit + assa mark

Auras :

Hatred + herald of thunder + herald of ash

Welcome,

I didn't see a lot of 1.3 dagger crit cyclone builds so I thought I'd share my own.
This build uses the good ol' abyssus and lightning coil combo BUT in a more tanky way than usual.

This build is focused on being cheap and effective : perfect for a temp league or a long race environment.

Pros :
- CHEAP : Less than 10 exalts
- Ideal for a new league
- Atziri viable, and easily. (You can take 2 aoes UNFLASKED before dying.)
- 78 maps viable. (Vaal temple as well, boss might be pretty hard depending on your gear tho)
- Can run every map mods except -max (it does not scale too well with lightning coil as you might imagine)
- Not scared of double reflect at all. Definetly uncomfortable though.
- Hardcore viable.

Cons :
- Not Uber viable in its current state.
- You're a melee.
- DPS can be considered pretty low compared to STD builds using better gear. (but then again, this build is worth 10exalts, and can be done with 2 exalts)
- Early mapping is going to be rough if you are using LC+Abyssus at lvl 60 with undercapped resists.

Defensive stats

Offensive stats

Screenshot is a bit outdated, my damage is higher now that my gems are better.

35k UNFLASKED

==========================================================================

Level 91 skill tree

Bandits

Normal :
Help Oak for the +40 life.

Cruel :
All three options are viable here.
I personally killed them all. (but % phys is good and % attackspeed is decent as well.)

Merciless :
Help Alira for the +1 power charge.

Leveling progression

Level 80
Level 70
Level 50
Level 28

I leveled as a melee using static strike (sword and board, DW, 2h.. anything really). I didnt spec into daggers until higher levels so I can use any weapon I find.

If you want to level with cyclone i'd suggest using facebreakers.
Avoid linking multipliers to your cyclone at lower levels because you most certainly won't be able to sustain it; stun, life gain on hit, blind/life leech will do the trick in a 4L.

Elreon jewelry (even crappy one) is welcome as you won't be bothered with mana issues through your leveling.

Links and gems

Main attack :
Cyclone
Blood magic
Melee physical damage
Faster attacks
5th link : Added fire
6th link : Increased critical damage / physical to lightning

Curse on hit setup
Herald of thunder
Reduced mana
Curse on hit
Assassin's mark

Auras
Herald of ash
Hatred
Herald of ice
Reduced mana

Cast when damage taken setup
Cast when damage taken LVL 7
Enduring Cry LVL 9
Immortal call LVL 8
Increased duration

Main shield links
Vengeance
Endurance charge on melee stun
Melee physical damage

Dagger links
Blood magic
Faster attacks
Whirling blades (can be replaced with vaal cyclone if you don't mind running)

Saffel links
Spell totem
Assassin's mark
Blood magic

The saffel is mainly used for Atziri (but also for crematorium boss, palace boss and shipyard boss to name a few), hence the spell totem setup.

Gear explained

Helmet

Abyssus is your best choice here.
It adds insane damage, and we can mitigate its drawback by using Lightning coil.

Your priority when buying an Abyssus is to get a 40% damage taken one, and obviously a decent crit multi.

Price : 10-30c

The alternative is Rat's nest, which in my opinion is nowhere near as good as Abyssus for this build, BUT is a much much safer (might be more suited for hardcore) alternative.

Price : 20c to 2 exalts

Armour

Here you obviously want to use a Lightning coil as the build is built around it.
(You can also use Belly of the beast or Carcass Jack if you are using Rat's nest)

Price : 1 exalt to 2 exalts for a 5linked one, around 20exalts for a 6 linked one. A few chaos for a 4 linked one.

Dagger

Bino synergizes really well with Adder's Touch, it will make you tankier due to its health regen.

Price : ~5 exalts
I bought a perf bad for 3 exalts, divined it into this.

You can obviously use a rare, and it will usually be much better than Bino dps wise.
Things to look for on a rare :
- 250+ pdps
- 8% or more critical chance
- Huge APS (because it will scale better on your flat phys from gear and on your herald of thunder/ice damage. Also it's better for whirling blades obviously :D )

Shield

Perf life Lioneye with the highest armour possible.

Price : 1-10 chaos

A saffel switch with the best spell block possible.
You can definetly play without one in switch, but why would you really?

Price : 4-8 chaos

You can also use a crest of perandus if you feel like you need life leech.
I personally dont like it too much because of the low evasion/armour.

Price : 1-3 chaos

Belt

Here there is only 2 options
1) More life, slightly more resists
2) Life leech, slightly more damage

A good rustic sash with triple resist and high life.

Price : Around 1 exalt

A doryani phys belt

Price : 1-2.5 exalt

Gloves

Maligaros are good but they come at a price : no life, no resists.
If you feel like you can use a pair go for it, I personally can't.

Price : 20 chaos - 1.5 exalt

This is what I'm currently using (kinda crappy but I mainly keep them because I need the colors)
Rare gloves with life, resists, flat phys, attack speed, life leech is what you want.

Price : Nothing to few exalts I'd imagine.

Boots

Here you want triple resists + life + frw

Rings / amulets

You just want to fill your needs here

- Need int to carry that herald of thunder ?
- Need more resists ?

Try to have life on every piece, if you don't need to fill any other holes go for flat phys / crit chance / crit multi / life / life leech

Prices can go up really easily around here.
But you can still get decent pieces for 5-10 chaos :

Flasks

No links because my flasks would be a pretty bad example.
You want something like this :

- One instant flask

- One atziri flask (20qual and perf if possible)

- 3 modulable slots depending on what you are doing :
Surgeon topaz anti shock
Surgeon ruby anti ignite
Surgeon sapphire anti freeze
Surgeon quicksilver with anti freeze
Surgeon granite with whatever you want (anti bleed?)
Surgeon quartz with whatever you want (highly optional)

You can also use a rumi's concotion to replace the granite or a taste of hate if you want more damage. Those flasks are expensive and they are not in our "budget" but they are definetly worth mentioning.

Basically you got it, use whatever you're confortable with and obviously all surgeons if possible as they are OP as fvck when you have 90%+ crit chance.
Having swap switches depending on what you're doing is a big boost to your survivability as well.

Current gear in Torment league

Atziri informations/mini guide

I'm no Atziri expert, but I never had any issues killing her at least, here's how I do it :

Double Vaal :
Use one topaz flask with remove shock. Use your saffel. DONT get hit by Vaal smash.
Try to kill them at the same time approximatively.. that's it really

Trio :
Use your normal shield.
Kill the whore in the middle first, then kill the flame guy, then kill the whirlwind guy.
Self cast immortal call really helps here (I don't use it cause I really can't be arsed, but it's way safer to use it tbh)

Use one ruby flask, one granite with remove bleeding, one instant flask with remove bleeding (and a third remove bleeding if you're really not experienced with the fight)

Atziri :
Use your saffel's.
Use one ruby flask and one topaz flask.
There's no secret here, try to dodge as much as you can, if you think you're going to get hit press the corresponding flask, avoid double flameblast at all cost.
You can tank spears np, I never tried to dodge them as they do like no damage even when they crit.

During split phase you can hit any atziri except the reflect one (she's holding a mirror and the other ones have either a spear / red glowing hand / blue glowing hand)

During the zombie phase just spin around atziri, you don't need to gem swap or anything.

Notes to myself

160 + to Dexterity
80 + to Intelligence
240 + to Strength
Weapon
4 % additional Physical Damage Reduction
74 % increased Accuracy Rating
34 % increased Attack Speed
8 % increased Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons
4 % increased Melee Attack Speed
34 % increased Melee Physical Damage
77 % increased Physical Damage
66 % increased Physical Damage with Daggers
30 % increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons
2 + to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range
Spell
12 % increased Cast Speed
20 % increased Mana Regeneration Rate
12 % increased Spell Damage
Defense
168 % increased Armour
54 % increased Evasion Rating
48 % increased Evasion Rating and Armour
20 % increased Life Recovery from Flasks
14 % increased Movement Speed
162 % increased maximum Life
3.3 % of Life Regenerated per Second
2 % of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Life
5 + Life gained on Kill
50 + to Evasion Rating
52 + to maximum Life
8 +% to Fire Resistance
20 +% to all Elemental Resistances
1 +% to maximum Fire Resistance
0 Enemies Cannot Leech Life From You
0 Ignore all Movement Penalties from Armour
Crit
197 % increased Critical Strike Chance
190 % increased Critical Strike Chance with Daggers
38 % increased Critical Strike Multiplier
60 % increased Critical Strike Multiplier with Daggers
135 % increased Melee Critical Strike Chance
15 % increased Melee Critical Strike Multiplier
0 Critical Strikes with Daggers Poison the Enemy
Misc
20 % increased Elemental Damage
12 % increased Melee Damage
Charge
18 % increased Power Charge Duration
1 + Maximum Power Charge

Last edited by Farvel on Mar 17, 2016, 2:29:55 AM
Thanks for guide, helped me a lot :p
awsome build, very fun, also add levling guild please i didnt really know how to start it and what skills use at start, also when started cyclone i always died :D, any updated?
Since when are 10 exalts "CHEAP"?
Make
Spectral Throw
great again
"
awsome build, very fun, also add levling guild please i didnt really know how to start it and what skills use at start, also when started cyclone i always died :D, any updated?

Thank you,

I'm going to update the build very soon (probably tonight!)

I leveled with static strike with mostly self found crap (except for like 2 pieces of crappy elreon jewelry)
I didnt start using cyclone until lvl 60+.

You can also just use 4L cyclone with facebreakers (cyclone - stun - life gain on hit - added fire) for leveling.

"
Since when are 10 exalts "CHEAP"?

10 exalts are necessary for stomping 78 maps with ease.

You can make this build work in lower lvl maps for less than 2 exalts.
By the time you get to high lvl maps you will be able to invest more exalts into your gear anyways.

All I had when I started this build was barely decent rares and a 5L coil I got for 1.5 ex.
Using a 6%crit ambusher with 240 pdps as a weapon. It did the job long enough for me to upgrade my gear through drops/recipes.
So I decided to started playing POE, I found this guide and being my first ever POE character trying to make it work in bloodline league, first guy i got it to lvl 59 or something got all the skill gems set up, but can't use all 4 auras, and I died to bleeding mobs after i cycloned into it and didn't have bleed removing flask like a noob that I was. I was very very up sad that it died, because it was so much fun! So i decided to make a 2nd one, now I got it to lvl 65, that's the level where lvl 16 reduced mana cost will allow all 4 auras to be casted in the same time. I'm now farming merciless ledge like a pro with shit gears that are all self found. Only trading i did was skill gems. I have almost the exact skill gem set up to the

my skill tree

and here is my screenshot of my stats
Spoiler

I don't even have max resist, but fun build.

I'm pretty sure i'm ganna die if i don't farm better gears at the ledge, hasn't have any luck so far.
Last edited by huihshen on Feb 27, 2015, 5:19:25 PM
Hey, glad you like the build.

-----

I edited the guide a little bit and added a new video :
Death and Taxes

I'm pretty much done with this until Act 4, so if you want me to add something to the guide or if you want to ask me something about the build dont hesitate to post here.
just got my lightning coil for 10c and 6 vaal today. came with 1 socket, I ended up getting it 4 linked and farmed some better gears to have max resist with the lightning coil, but i needed to put a point into the passive resist to all near the marauder starting point. Level 71 and still alive :)

Been farming Docks in A3 merciless but my HP drops below half over and over when I fight that cycloning dog boss. Pretty scary.
"
Cast when damage taken setup
Cast when damage taken LVL 7
Enduring Cry LVL 9
Immortal call LVL 8
Increased duration

Why lvl 7 9 and 8 ?
Lvl 7 cwdt requires lvl 43 gems, so you want to level the other 2 gems accordingly.
Inc duration is a support gem so you can level it to 20/20 no matter what.

It's simply the setup I felt was the most comfortable for 78 maps :
- It will proc instantly if you're doing phys reflect map/pack
- The IC duration will be very significant in high level maps, and proc decently often.

You can level it higher if you feel like you need to, or you can completely remove it and run selfcast IC if you like it more (in hardcore for instance or just for uber trio..)

You can also use a lower level cwdt setup if you're doing lower lvl maps ; lvl 3 cwdt for 66-72 is probably better.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info