This shit makes me pull out my hair.

I really think there is a massive flaw in the game that makes the game unplayable for any new player that isn't an utter psychopath.

When a player begins the game, they probably don't have much of a knowledge for build-guides, unique items, maps, proper way to go through the passive tree, etc.

Since the first go-through is pretty easy, they progress onto merciless, and there is a sudden difficulty spike, where you will not only fail at if you aren't very experienced and don't follow a build, you probably won't get through merciless if ARE following a build guide, and you aren't twinked by your previous characters. Either way, your first two characters probably aren't going to make it to mapping, and even then they probably won't have gear that great, and get shat on.

I have a level 59 cyclone duelist that I've leveled by a build guide, and that character is a piece of shit. Other people just unique items to rocket their character through leveling, and currency to get them better items once they've hit mid 60s.

When a new player feels so inadequate in a game they quit. I'm probably going to quite because I wasted 2 weeks on a character that is so fucking awful that they can't farm anything decent, and lose experience trying to level faster than they gain experience, whereas others are getting to mid 80s in the course of a couple 3-hour periods, all because they have the utter skill and brilliant ability that they got some decent drops, and thus some currency.

How in the name of fucking Christ do people make a decent character without twinking themselves with past drops from other characters?
I truly do not mean to be rude, but this is a learn to play issue.

There will be many people who won't be able to hack PoE as it isn't casual or forgiving enough as other games like D3.

This isn't me saying Poe>D3, just games are designed differently. Theres pros and cons on both ends and naturally some will prefer one over the other.

Certain features of the games may be loved by one person and loathed by another. Can't make everyone happy.

ign KlearSpeed

1.3 Torment - Scion Kinetic Build Guide (HC Viable)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1146976
Last edited by iMbaQ on Jan 25, 2015, 7:12:20 PM
There are a handful of people that play self-found. Now I don't know if some people use only the items they find on the character or not. Though it mostly comes from knowledge of the game when doing builds. Most likely you are going screw up your first build when starting out.

I was aware of this myself when I first started to play the game so I took the safe route and picked a build I like from the community knowing it would work. While it is preference on whether or not you like doing that. I do agree it's a better feeling when you do stuff on your own and it works compared to using someone else's build. However, I did this so I wouldn't end up wasting my time cause I knew myself I would probably have made a weird build that wouldn't work at the start.
"
mitchyu117 wrote:
I really think there is a massive flaw in the game that makes the game unplayable for any new player that isn't an utter psychopath.

When a player begins the game, they probably don't have much of a knowledge for build-guides, unique items, maps, proper way to go through the passive tree, etc.

Since the first go-through is pretty easy, they progress onto merciless, and there is a sudden difficulty spike, where you will not only fail at if you aren't very experienced and don't follow a build, you probably won't get through merciless if ARE following a build guide, and you aren't twinked by your previous characters. Either way, your first two characters probably aren't going to make it to mapping, and even then they probably won't have gear that great, and get shat on.

I have a level 59 cyclone duelist that I've leveled by a build guide, and that character is a piece of shit. Other people just unique items to rocket their character through leveling, and currency to get them better items once they've hit mid 60s.

When a new player feels so inadequate in a game they quit. I'm probably going to quite because I wasted 2 weeks on a character that is so fucking awful that they can't farm anything decent, and lose experience trying to level faster than they gain experience, whereas others are getting to mid 80s in the course of a couple 3-hour periods, all because they have the utter skill and brilliant ability that they got some decent drops, and thus some currency.

How in the name of fucking Christ do people make a decent character without twinking themselves with past drops from other characters?

Cyclone chars without items are pretty bad indeed :D
R.I.P 4.B.
"
iMbaQ wrote:
I truly do not mean to be rude, but this is a learn to play issue.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/532639/filter-account-type/staff
What I'm getting from this is that you just don't want there to be a beginning.

I've never used a guide, and I do just fine in all the leagues. You get better by doing, not by copying.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Practice makes perfect.
PoE isn't supposed to always be easy. If it was too easy, there by definition wouldn't be any challenge to it. People that have only made a couple of characters shouldn't expect the game to be nerfed so they can beat everything more easily.
Research and planning will get you much further. Some - a fair amount even - of the research needed can be learned by simply making a first and even a second character. Even more learning can be had, by posting questions on the forums and having a healthy expectation about the steep learning curve.
Where there's one they're bound to divide it right in two.
My first character was a hardcore templar, he was a bit of a hodge-podge of elemental quest-reward spells with life/energy shield.

I think they died somewhere around level 50.

"
they probably don't have much of a knowledge for build-guides, unique items, maps, proper way to go through the passive tree, etc.

I was in much of the same boat, except when I was debating about what type of character to build I took a glance at the passive tree and read some of the information in this site to figure out what might be interesting/fun.

I've always wanted to create a proper tank-mage and I decided to try for that and for a first character it was pretty decent.

Later on I figured out the mistakes I'd made when playing a new character.

One lesson I've learned was not to have your mana flasks be your only source of staunching.

Oh, and I guess I do also browse the forums a bit so I'd read about the corrupting blood effect before I encountered it. (Didn't save my first summoner after panicking after running out of flash charges and running away from Dominus into the rain though.)

I certainly don't believe you need to be an "utter psychopath" or be "twinking themselves with past drops from other characters?"

I've never followed a guide, though I have looked at a couple to see if there's a better path in the passive tree or a particular node cluster that I've missed.

Though I would recommend starting in hardcore and making a new character with each death so that you can try new builds and never get too bored with a single character.
And of course have a fresh start with your previous mistake.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Ok, I hope this is not taken the wrong way, but I think its best to try the game first through an hardcore perspective.
I say that because lots of people in SC tend to fall into the error of ignoring a few deaths they have on the way to merciless, those should be a wake up call but because the weight of death really doesnt feel heavy until you are higher lvl (cause it takes much longer to level up by then) people end up with bad builds and/or ineffective gear. This is also reflected on the way you play the game, its obviously more likely for one to end up less careful.
the nature of SC makes it so that players are less likely to be as good as they could be if it was in HC (ofc there are good SC players, sure as there are bad HC players, though those usually dont get far)
I would like for one day, to not see someone die in a party I join when I am testing something in standard.
sure play SC but when you die, stop for a moment and think why you died and see if you could not improve anything.

Oh and yes, there are a lot of shit builds... "this build is cheap all you need is a 6l ex ex ex + item, etc" EVERY FREAKING TIME.

Here's a thing, you see that build who requires you to have a unique? dont start it if you dont have it. It wont drop. Adquire it first if you can. try searching for the cheapest build possible. Try posting your tree and gear in Gameplay Help, im sure a lot of people can give u tips on what you should improve.
Oh and dont underestimate flasks, learn their mods, there are some you absolutely want and some you will want to avoid in most builds (im looking at you sapping and caustic)
Oblivious
Did you give feedback about your experience in the feedback forum?

This game was originally created as a hardcore gaming experience. GGG has been working to make the game more accessible however, so it's important that if you run into a difficulty wall you let the devs know where it was and what exactly served as the wall.

So much of this game's focus is on the end-game (climbing up the map levels, getting that "good enough for my purposes" gear, trying to at least reach level 80), I'm afraid a lot of the 1-65 experience is not given the proper spotlight it deserves. This is one of those areas where you constantly see patchnotes where GGG tweaks this, adjusts that, so that tells me it is an area they're actively trying to improve upon.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info