This shit makes me pull out my hair.

"
mitchyu117 wrote:
How in the name of fucking Christ do people make a decent character without twinking themselves with past drops from other characters?

play the game a longggggg time and go through multiple iterations of the same build you want to try (if you're not using any guides)

I think my first build (a freeze pulse witch) went through 3 different iterations before I managed to get the gear/gem setup right such that I could complete merciless and get into maps. Stalled out around level 55 in open beta when I hit merciless, stalled out around level 70 in a3 merciless in domination, then got up to ~level 80 in domination trying again before moving on to something that could clear 71+ maps more quickly.

By the point I had a map viable character, I had probably spent about 200 hours or so playing PoE. By the time I had a high level (76+) map viable character, I had played well over 1000 hours.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Hey im also new but i use molten strike build from sty on you tube my gear is 51 and i have found some nice gear but im having fun even with dieing
My first char was a fail to ..played with it up to level 60-70 ( can't remember exactly ) and delete it due to the fact that i knew that it was a fail.Started over ..leveled until 84 ..it was pretty decent.Now I'm into PoE again ( after a 1,5 years break ) ..started a new char ..currently at level 84 ( ironically ) leveled in less that 3 weeks ..but I now have a better understanding of how the things work and whatnot.But I'm FAR from being an expert.You can never be ..the game is constantly updating and making you discover new stuff ..I had to read A LOT from forum and poe wiki ..as well as starting threads to ask people some help regarding my tree/gear/build,etc.I'm still doing that ..I think the best thing you can do is figure out if you just wanna have some fun ..or build a wicked char that clears out everything with ease ..at least until 77-78 ..or maybe that too.The fun begins when you stop dying often and get awesome gear ..good luck bud.
"
holy_death wrote:
Hey im also new but i use molten strike build from sty on you tube my gear is 51 and i have found some nice gear but im having fun even with dieing

You'll find death much less fun when you get to merciless and the penalty doubles!

Don't mean to be discouraging, but better to see it coming than to think all is great then get that slap in the face...

I can relate to the OP as I just hit merc for the first time this weekend. Been playing for two weeks now and I'll admit I probably put way more time into it than I should. Er, I'm very hooked, sheeze. Anyway, let me tell you about transitioning from cruel to merc for the first time. Everything seemed to be rolling great for me until I woke on the beach for the third time. Suddenly everything seemed way harder than I expected. It's definitely not a linear jump like going from act 1 to act 2!

And I got very discouraged and frustrated about the time I met my fist unique on the coast and got obliterated. after a couple more failed forays I found my half-full XP bar emptied. Then I gain a few notches of XP and lose them repeatedly. That was quite maddening and I felt like I was stuck. Done for. Might as well quit because I can't get that uber gear... I went on to try some stuff anyway since at 0 XP one has nothing to lose. Went to get the medicine chest on Tidal Island and I swear it took me about FORTY attempts before I got it. But I finally saw what was going on.

It was the elemental attacks that were getting me. Checking it out, I saw that my resists that used to be fine were now abysmal! So I started fooling around with all the crap in my stash that had resists on it and was able to get up to at least 30's and 40's on my resists at the cost of some armor class and DPS. That change turned the game around for me and I've been watching resists like a hawk ever since.

Also I have altered my play style quite a bit and am way more cautious as the monsters have a much larger aggro radius and will hunt you down from far away if you get careless. Where I used to run up the path a ways until I encountered something, I started moving up cautiosly and giving stuff time to find me instead. Results in far fewer big hairy battles leaving me in better control of the situation in general. Also I have adopted a "perimeter first" approach since you won't find yourself in the middle of a swarm of monsters if you're hugging a wall. After the walls are cleared off I'll go for the interior areas a bit at a time. For the same reason, I'll also make sure the local area is very clear before I pop a strongbox. There's enough going on there that I don't need the locals joining in. Also on my list of important tactics is timing stuff with the XP bar! If I'm over about 50% I try extra hard not to do anything stupid, but will give ANYTHING a shot if I have nothing to lose. When I get to Merveil I'll show up with an empty XP bar ready to run at her as many times as it takes. Might be 40, I don't care...

Getting my resists up in the 40's-60's ranges has been a huge help for me but at two weeks into the game I'm no expert. I'm not saying the elemental resists are going to be everyone's savior here, but do watch out for those and try to figure out where you are struggling. I bet you can overcome it with some work! Also just because you're on merciless now doesn't mean you're stuck there. You can still play cruel and farm XP and gear in cruel act 3 for a while. I did that looking for gear upgrades and to heal my badly wounded XP bar.

By the way I'm playing my own build and enjoying it quite a bit. I'm playing a Duelist, dual wielding claws, wearing as much armour class as I can get and attacking primarily with molten strike. Also I haven't bought any equipment from other players, only recently having made my first trade which was some various orbs for a couple chaos. I did burn through a few of my own orbs playing with gear mods though so I don't know if that's still considered found of if it becomes crafted at that point.
Stealth gearing issue and lack of tutorial topic.

There is a point about the game which depending on how much you are willing to participate in the game.... I play mostly self-found (buy probably 2-3 things or ask a guild person who has it), and the first character is intentionally made just to farm for subsequent characters. It's not a terrible build, it just gets to level 65 really quickly without issues because beyond that it because unreasonable to upgrade gear to do higher level stuff because I would either have to buy (nope) or find it (triple nope - not King Minos). Crafting is sort of an option even tho' hybrid physical%/accuracy removal was bad (either make it lower and cost more or add another tier up of physical% and make it cost more, it's effectively the same and less weird for including it then completely removing it). But that's a whole of oh well because I was ok with that not being there but I would actually use orbs on items and maybe get something pretty good. But benches turned it into a trade era and that's a different issue altogether...

The difficulty spikes between end cruel and end of merciless are very detracting from the game. If you was dying up until this point, it is true that your deaths will indicate where you might be going wrong so listen to what other people have been saying in this topic. Additionally usually not acquiring much life, having no means of leech and/or you don't kill things quickly enough are the main culprits.

There is also the lack of willingness to upgrade equipment because sockets are important and the difficulty of replacing.
Last edited by YellowMage on Jan 26, 2015, 11:40:09 AM
"
rarugren wrote:
"
holy_death wrote:

You'll find death much less fun when you get to merciless and the penalty doubles!

Don't mean to be discouraging, but better to see it coming than to think all is great then get that slap in the face...

I can relate to the OP as I just hit merc for the first time this weekend. Been playing for two weeks now and I'll admit I probably put way more time into it than I should. Er, I'm very hooked, sheeze. Anyway, let me tell you about transitioning from cruel to merc for the first time. Everything seemed to be rolling great for me until I woke on the beach for the third time. Suddenly everything seemed way harder than I expected. It's definitely not a linear jump like going from act 1 to act 2!

And I got very discouraged and frustrated about the time I met my fist unique on the coast and got obliterated. after a couple more failed forays I found my half-full XP bar emptied. Then I gain a few notches of XP and lose them repeatedly. That was quite maddening and I felt like I was stuck. Done for. Might as well quit because I can't get that uber gear... I went on to try some stuff anyway since at 0 XP one has nothing to lose. Went to get the medicine chest on Tidal Island and I swear it took me about FORTY attempts before I got it. But I finally saw what was going on.

It was the elemental attacks that were getting me. Checking it out, I saw that my resists that used to be fine were now abysmal! So I started fooling around with all the crap in my stash that had resists on it and was able to get up to at least 30's and 40's on my resists at the cost of some armor class and DPS. That change turned the game around for me and I've been watching resists like a hawk ever since.

Also I have altered my play style quite a bit and am way more cautious as the monsters have a much larger aggro radius and will hunt you down from far away if you get careless. Where I used to run up the path a ways until I encountered something, I started moving up cautiosly and giving stuff time to find me instead. Results in far fewer big hairy battles leaving me in better control of the situation in general. Also I have adopted a "perimeter first" approach since you won't find yourself in the middle of a swarm of monsters if you're hugging a wall. After the walls are cleared off I'll go for the interior areas a bit at a time. For the same reason, I'll also make sure the local area is very clear before I pop a strongbox. There's enough going on there that I don't need the locals joining in. Also on my list of important tactics is timing stuff with the XP bar! If I'm over about 50% I try extra hard not to do anything stupid, but will give ANYTHING a shot if I have nothing to lose. When I get to Merveil I'll show up with an empty XP bar ready to run at her as many times as it takes. Might be 40, I don't care...

Getting my resists up in the 40's-60's ranges has been a huge help for me but at two weeks into the game I'm no expert. I'm not saying the elemental resists are going to be everyone's savior here, but do watch out for those and try to figure out where you are struggling. I bet you can overcome it with some work! Also just because you're on merciless now doesn't mean you're stuck there. You can still play cruel and farm XP and gear in cruel act 3 for a while. I did that looking for gear upgrades and to heal my badly wounded XP bar.

By the way I'm playing my own build and enjoying it quite a bit. I'm playing a Duelist, dual wielding claws, wearing as much armour class as I can get and attacking primarily with molten strike. Also I haven't bought any equipment from other players, only recently having made my first trade which was some various orbs for a couple chaos. I did burn through a few of my own orbs playing with gear mods though so I don't know if that's still considered found of if it becomes crafted at that point.

Capping resists should be your priority if you are brand new. Resists and as much Life on gear as you can find. Everything else should be secondary, especially if this is your first character ever. Also, make sure you keep an eye out on the level of the map. Tidal Island Especially. You would think it would be 52 since that is the level of the surrounding areas. It's actually a 58 zone. In Merciless, the side zones are significantly higher. You can see the zone level by hitting tab (brings up the minimap). level will be in the top right corner.
if the game seems to be too difficult, get help. join a guild, participate, share, enjoy group play. it's a online multiplayer game after all.

playing alone sure is hard, it took me 3 years of playing to find my first 6-link chest.

and for the mentioned difficult spike you're right, game is a piece of cake for most (me included) until cruel dominus teaches you otherwise.
the game needs more dificult spikes earlier in cruel. merveil for example.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Another bad player writing thread about how bad is he.
I think ''New player here,need help'' would be better title for your thread than ''This shit...''
Last edited by And1111 on Jan 26, 2015, 1:23:41 PM
"
Jaxom wrote:

... Tidal Island Especially. You would think it would be 52 since that is the level of the surrounding areas. It's actually a 58 zone. In Merciless, the side zones are significantly higher. You can see the zone level by hitting tab (brings up the minimap). level will be in the top right corner.

Thanks for that! I actually knew that and look at that info often but didn't think to look at it this particular time. I had just assumed that it was near the level of the area I came from. Makes me feel a bit better that I was able to handle normal and blue monsters just fine, it was just the ones with the fancy name tags (rares? uniques?) that slaughtered me.
Last edited by rarugren on Jan 26, 2015, 2:47:53 PM
"
Antnee wrote:
What I'm getting from this is that you just don't want there to be a beginning.

I've never used a guide, and I do just fine in all the leagues. You get better by doing, not by copying.

I've done a character without a guide before this and had even worse results.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info