Mechanics thread

"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
You have to do it before.

Just like if you see Vaal use his smash it's too late to use a granite. You have to use the flask before the hit is initiated or the bonus armour won't be in the calculation.

No and no :/
-Degeneration updates retroactively just fine; pretty easy to eyeball this jump in damage
-Hit damage calculation is done when the hit connects, not when the attack is started

When a Skill is used, the game doesn't know what defensive stats to apply to the damage until the skill actually Hits anything. How could it roll damage at the start of the attack :/ That makes no sense.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/1gnxln/something_is_fishy_about_brutus/

"
[–]chris_wilsonLead Developer

For combat sync reasons, certain things are calculated when an action starts so that they can be sent to the client before the contact point occurs. Modifying your armour after the start of a Brutus attack will not affect the damage it deals.

Reddit is not where I first heard about it, but after some searching it was the only concrete post about it.

Could be that I heard it in one of Kripparians streams when Chris was there.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Last edited by Sneakypaw on Jul 23, 2013, 8:19:58 AM
To clarify, Leer Cast's aura's effective gain is mitigated by other +% damage right?
Since it's increased damage, not more damage.
Meaning a party member with +100% physical damage only receives +7.5% damage from it, right?
(:
Last edited by zakar on Jul 25, 2013, 11:02:07 PM
"
zakar wrote:
To clarify, Leer Cast's aura's effective gain is mitigated by other +% damage right?
Since it's increased damage, not more damage.
Meaning a party member with +100% physical damage only receives +7.5% damage from it, right?

You will gain 15% damage like said on the helmet, but since it is "increased" it's your base damage which is increased and not the final damage.

So if you had +100% physical damage, you will have +115% physical damage.
With 100 base damage, you will have 215 damage instead of 200 and so a final bonus of 7.5%
"
Kissan wrote:
You will gain 15% damage like said on the helmet, but since it is "increased" it's your base damage which is increased and not the final damage.

So if you had +100% physical damage, you will have +115% physical damage.
With 100 base damage, you will have 215 damage instead of 200 and so a final bonus of 7.5%

I thought so too.
With some quick testing of +64% elemental damage with weapons and 20% spell damage (just to be safe), I threw on a Stormcloud.
The result was a 0.803 multiplier. After the 30% less damage, that's 0.803 / 0.7 = 14.72% from the aura. It should have been ~9.15%.

I'mma need to test some more.
(:
Last edited by zakar on Jul 27, 2013, 1:17:52 AM
I read that

1. multistrike + minions works. i.e. zombies + multistrike, how does it even work? do they hit 3 times?

2. increased AOE doesnt work on melee-splash + minions. i.e. zombie + melee-splash doesnt benefit from ur increased AOE bonuses as opposed from using melee-splash on your own attacks, is this true?
[Trade] -> Whisper me IGN: TrapAndHide
"
OneMinuteAgo wrote:
1. multistrike + minions works. i.e. zombies + multistrike, how does it even work? do they hit 3 times?

Same as any other melee attack with Multistrike...

"
OneMinuteAgo wrote:
2. increased AOE doesnt work on melee-splash + minions. i.e. zombie + melee-splash doesnt benefit from ur increased AOE bonuses as opposed from using melee-splash on your own attacks, is this true?

Your Passives and gear apply to you, not your minions (unless specifically stated otherwise).
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
You have to do it before.

Just like if you see Vaal use his smash it's too late to use a granite. You have to use the flask before the hit is initiated or the bonus armour won't be in the calculation.

No and no :/
-Degeneration updates retroactively just fine; pretty easy to eyeball this jump in damage
-Hit damage calculation is done when the hit connects, not when the attack is started

When a Skill is used, the game doesn't know what defensive stats to apply to the damage until the skill actually Hits anything. How could it roll damage at the start of the attack :/ That makes no sense.

That said, the effects of a Granite don't apply until the server registers this, so there is delay on the Granite occurring and the effect of the Granite occurring, which can influence this.

In the reddit thread Kole was used as an example, who has fairly short duration attacks, so it'd be fairly easy for a Granite that you used after yourself seeing that he was doing an attack to not occur server-side before the attack, thus being the source of this falsehood.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
OneMinuteAgo wrote:

Same as any other melee attack with Multistrike...

"
OneMinuteAgo wrote:

Your Passives and gear apply to you, not your minions (unless specifically stated otherwise).

ah ok thx!

but if i have quality melee splash, will my zombies benefit from that +X % increased AOE effect with that gem?
[Trade] -> Whisper me IGN: TrapAndHide
Yes, they will benefit from the Quality bonus just fine.
*edit* nevermind
Last edited by wooli on Jul 27, 2013, 10:03:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info