Buying laptop. Want PoE to fly on it. Looking for tips!

"
Drakier wrote:
"
From what I gather, WiseGuard seems to have a pretty good idea as to what he wants seeings how WiseGuard did pick two computers (the Asus being the better one IMHO) with i7 processors, the right RAM, etc.

I guess I'm not seeing what you see...

From the OP, both of them have the same CPU and everything.. the only difference is the ASUS only has 6GB of RAM while the Dell has 8GB of RAM.

Just based on the specs I could find on what was posted and online, I would think the Dell would be the better system, everything else being the same.

Are you seeing something different than I am?

Edit: in addition to the 6GB vs 8GB thing, the 6GB is almost certainly 2 sticks... since they don't make 6GB sticks as far as I'm aware...

the 8GB is 1 stick, which leaves more room for upgrade to 16GB at a later time.

Edit 2: I also agree that an SSD would do a lot for performance.. especially in PoE over a 5400RPM HDD

True, yet you forgot one thing... Reliability and/or durability, and Dell computers (from my many years of experience in the IT industry) break down a lot faster.

To be fair, sure, I have seen only some decent Dell computers that have actually lasted a while, but they are few and far in between. Not only that, Dell support is the worse of all, suckering their customers into paying for products they don't really need. However, to be fair again, almost all computer manufacture companies are guilty of that, yet Dell is the worst offender of them all.

P.S. My friend, they make 8 GB memory sticks for Laptops, and there is no such thing as 6 GB divided into two sticks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231705

That's 16 GB total with two sticks in that link.

For 6 GB to be divided into separate sticks of memory, you would need three 2 GB sticks or six 1 GB sticks (which is impractical these days with the new computers they have out now.)
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Dec 29, 2014, 5:10:50 PM
I don't disagree with you that Dell is crap... (I believe I already said so in a prior post). My stance was purely on the specs of both laptops.

Also, I'm aware they make 8GB and 16GB sticks... I was talking about 6GB ... because his ASUS specifically says 6GB.. which means that he'd be wasting money attempting to upgrade it, as there is at least 2GB of RAM that would essentially have to be thrown away.

With the 1x8GB stick in the Dell, that likely leaves a full empty slot open for a nice cheap 8GB upgrade to double the available RAM without any "waste".

I was looking at it from an economic standpoint.

I agree with pretty much everything else you've said.. ASUS is a better brand.. I just think that a 6GB version is stupid compared to an 8GB... unless that REALLY said 16GB and it was just mistyped... in which case, then the ASUS is better anyway all around.
Last edited by Drakier on Dec 29, 2014, 5:04:13 PM
Good evening,

Thank you for your comments. Sorry for causing commotion.

Alas my budget is not very big. Pretty much posted what i can afford.

Also i was planning to switch to SSD. As i recall, Chris Wilson himself stating that "closest you can get to pay2win in PoE is to get SSD".

Only issue i have with SSD is limited size.
Tho there are ways to replace DVD-ROM with HDD.

But i wonder if 8/6 gigs of ram will be enough and GFX is good enough :/

I still might consider buying desktop, but at this point in my life i am not sure where i will end up within 4 months. Buying "gaming platform" based around "poe strongboxes" look kind of silly.
"
Drakier wrote:
I don't disagree with you that Dell is crap... (I believe I already said so in a prior post). My stance was purely on the specs of both laptops.

Also, I'm aware they make 8GB and 16GB sticks... I was talking about 6GB ... because his ASUS specifically says 6GB.. which means that he'd be wasting money attempting to upgrade it, as there is at least 2GB of RAM that would essentially have to be thrown away.

With the 1x8GB stick in the Dell, that likely leaves a full empty slot open for a nice cheap 8GB upgrade to double the available RAM without any "waste".

I was looking at it from an economic standpoint.

I agree with pretty much everything else you've said.. ASUS is a better brand.. I just think that a 6GB version is stupid compared to an 8GB... unless that REALLY said 16GB and it was just mistyped... in which case, then the ASUS is better anyway all around.

To clarify what I meant, all I am saying is that if WiseGuard is going to invest into an Asus Laptop similar to what he listed in his OP, spend a little more and make sure the ASUS Laptop has 8 GB of RAM, because there are ASUS Gaming Laptops that also provide an extra slot for 16 GB of RAM just like (I think) the Dell computer he listed does.

That is where I stand when it comes to the RAM between both listed computers.

EDIT: Then again, who knows. The ASUS computer he listed in his OP can have a 6 GB stick in it, yet that does not mean it only supports up to 6 GB of RAM. There are cases where a computer has 1 stick of 6 GB of RAM already in it in which it can be upgraded to 8 GB of RAM, and still have room for another 8 GB of RAM.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Dec 29, 2014, 5:21:30 PM
"
To clarify what I meant, all I am saying is that if WiseGuard is going to invest into an Asus Laptop similar to what he listed in his OP, spend a little more and make sure the ASUS Laptop has 8 GB of RAM, because there are ASUS Gaming Laptops that also provide an extra slot for 16 GB of RAM.

That is where I stand when it comes to the RAM between both listed computers.

Agreed.
"
WiseGuard wrote:
Good evening,

Thank you for your comments. Sorry for causing commotion.

Alas my budget is not very big. Pretty much posted what i can afford.

Also i was planning to switch to SSD. As i recall, Chris Wilson himself stating that "closest you can get to pay2win in PoE is to get SSD".

Only issue i have with SSD is limited size.
Tho there are ways to replace DVD-ROM with HDD.

But i wonder if 8/6 gigs of ram will be enough and GFX is good enough :/

I still might consider buying desktop, but at this point in my life i am not sure where i will end up within 4 months. Buying "gaming platform" based around "poe strongboxes" look kind of silly.

Yea, but here's the thing with SSDs, and I don't care what anybody says... SSDs, I have to say, are only really essential when it comes to Laptops because they need more oomph than Desktops do to push out much performance power as they possibly can.

Desktops, on the other hand, like the one I got, actually performs just as fast, if not, faster than most computer that have an SSD. To explain this, it's not just about an SSD that makes a computer perform well. An older or less expensive computer than mine can run an SSD all day, yet I have proved my computer that has a 7200 RPM HDD outperforms other computers with an SSD.

SSDs are like the poor man's shortcut to making your computer perform a little better. In other words, having an SSD in your computer (I promise you) is not the all-solution for a better performing computer. Many gamers stick SSDs in their systems and call it a day notably because they cannot afford the other components to make it even better, which is completely understandable.

Does that mean a computer that only has an SSD going for it absolutely sucks? No. It just means a computer that only has an SSD going for it is not good as it can be. A good processor, a good gpu, and perhaps a closed-loop liquid cooling system, is what is also required for great computer performance (if that is what you are truly going for).

That being said, if someone else had the same computer I did, yet with an SSD, I would venture to say the performance difference would be unnoticeable so as to be a fart in a 50 mile-an-hour wind.

My Desktop specs are:

Brand: Hewlett Packard
GPU: 1 Geforce GTX 760
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K at 3.70 GHz
Memory: 24 GB of RAM
Current Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (I know, but I am an 'out with the old in with the new' kind of guy since change is inevitable)
Liquid Cooling: Closed-Loop Liquid Cooling System (safer to me and better than liquid cooling systems you have to keep refilling that are also more susceptible to leaking)

Where I bought it: http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/mdp/desktops/envy-810-88146--1#!&TabName=vao (except I customized mine by using the 'Customize and Buy' button)

I am glad I could help.
HeavyMetalGear
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Dec 29, 2014, 5:59:52 PM
If I were making a new PoE gaming machine on a budget, I'd start with the video card, get at least 8GB low latency RAM, and then make do with whatever else I could afford.

Anyone can build a PC, and it's definitely worth it. I wouldn't consider a laptop for gaming unless I was camping.

The GPU and VRAM must be cooled properly, and that excludes almost all laptops. The heat isn't something which can be easily wisped away with booster fans, the issue is that the internal cooling is inadequate for the amount of stress the game puts on the hardware. This may change as smaller fabrication processes lower excess energy and increase speeds, but upgrading would never happen, it wouldn't be a cost-effective option in a laptop.

Look for a video card with high pixel fillrate, a lot of CUDA Cores/Stream Processors (for quickly compiling shaders), and enough memory (VRAM or texture memory sometimes). I'd say 2GB is the minimum.

Get at least 8GB system RAM so you can put the entire game folder into a RAM drive. This is basically a fake storage disk which lives in fast memory. There are a few utilities to accomplish this, described in the thread. If you have enough RAM, you can forget about expensive SSD technology, and get the cheapest, slowest, most unreliable mechanical hard drive. (If you do for whatever reason need a laptop, get an SSD, they don't break nearly so often when dropped. Vibration/harmonics is also an issue with old HDDs.)

Timing on RAM is important, nearly as important as the clock speed. You want higher clock speeds, like DDR3 1600 MHz or higher, but lower timings, the lowest CL (CAS Latency) for the 1600MHz modules is best. Never mismatch RAM because even with all the same timings, the small differences from manufacturing could throw everything off, get "matched pairs" or 4-stick kits. Don't get value-brand RAM, you get what you pay for.

The rest should be easier to decide, since they are all on sale. Match the motherboard chipset and CPU with your RAM choice, and you'll need to pick the PSU based partly by the power you need for the video card.

The monitor should be a gaming TN(Twisted Nematic) LCD with 1ms G2G response time and minimal "input lag". If you had a greater budget, I'd recommend the 144MHz displays, but you can always upgrade to that later. Although, if you need perfect RGB color for your photoshop work, or a wide angle of view to watch movies with your friends, I guess buy a quality IPS panel instead, but it will be pretty blurry in the game.

To help fill in the blanks, see the sidebar with the helpful links on the right. See http://www.logicalincrements.com/, http://pcpartpicker.com, and http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html to help you judge price vs. performance. Don't be afraid to google research those parts, especially with "path of exile" included as a search term, many problems crop up with specific components.
Last edited by ionface on Dec 30, 2014, 3:52:50 PM
Good evening,

Updating my... "state".

Ditched the laptop idea. Went for desktop, built a little "budget" PC. Still need a descent monitor.

Main components:

SSD: 128gb Corsair Force Series
RAM: 8gb 1600 mhz ddr3 CL 8
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
CPU: i7-4770

Had to "save up" a little bit on ram and CPU cooling.
Built everything for around 1k euros (that includes additional hdd, motherboard etc.)

Did some dailies today. Almost died three times, everything was so... shiny and beautiful, i didn't notice my HP bar dropping.

Will post entire set up later on.

P.S. Haven't tried lockboxes yet.
hp dv7 2.5 ghz 8gb ram 640m is more than enough
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
Asus or lenovo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info