Buying laptop. Want PoE to fly on it. Looking for tips!

Good evening.

I am planning to buy a new laptop and of course i want games to fly on it!
One of those games is PoE.

I don't want to see frame stuttering when discharges fly around, nor when i freeze pulse, nor when i open storage boxes and i want to play on descent graphics.

Now the question is. Will this be enough?

ASUS X751LN-TY001D
CPU: Intel Core i7-4510U 2GHz/4MB
GFX: NV GeForce GT 840M 2GB
RAM: 6GB DDR3-1600
HDD: 1TB 5400rpm

or

DELL Inspiron 17 5000
CPU: Intel Core i7-4510U
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce 840M 2GB DDR3L
RAM: 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3L-1600MHz
HDD: SATA 1TB 5400RPM

I am asking because my current laptop is ~5 years old and i barely play PoE on minimal settings with textures set to "4" through notepad.
Dying to strongboxes is kinda annoying...

Maybe someone has perfect solutions?
Last edited by WiseGuard on Dec 29, 2014, 3:08:53 PM
If you want PoE to "fly" on it, don't get a laptop.

Honestly. I'm not trolling or joking. Laptops are not meant for gaming. They have inherent design flaws that make them very poor gaming machines. Yes, many laptops are capable of some degree of gaming. But if you're serious about gaming, you really should invest in a desktop instead. It will last you a lot longer, and those are designed for proper airflow and other things to make high-end gaming work well.
Good evening, thanks for reply.

I can't really go with a desktop, due to the fact that its not very "portable".
"
WiseGuard wrote:
Good evening, thanks for reply.

I can't really go with a desktop, due to the fact that its not very "portable".

I completely understand. I'm just saying that you're not going to likely be able to get PoE to "fly" on a Laptop.

Laptops are totally meant for portability, but they're really meant for more office-style tasks... not gaming.

Even most "gaming" laptops aren't great for gaming as they just have thermal and other issues which prevent them from reaching the same levels as desktops. In addition to that, as I said before, laptops are generally locked into hardware... so you will end up going obsolete with the laptop much sooner than a desktop due to the ability to upgrade desktop components piecemeal.

Both the laptops you linked are similar in terms of what specs you listed, except that one has only 6GB of RAM (which is an odd number) and the other has 8GB.

I generally avoid Dell as I don't agree with their business practices as it comes to hardware lock-in, but in the case of laptops, you generally get hardware lock-in anyway... so that point is fairly moot.

The other thing about both of those is the 5400RPM drive is going to be slow. You're going to end up waiting a couple of minutes for PoE to load, and you'll likely get "load stutter" on resources as it attempts to load from the HDD into RAM on-demand... so while you might not experience any other FPS issues, you WILL get stuttering on lockboxes and uncached effects.

Edit: Are you sure the Dell comes with the nvidia 840M? The Dell site isn't showing that as an option... perhaps I'm not looking closely enough to find it.
Last edited by Drakier on Dec 29, 2014, 3:39:17 PM
Listen, don't listen to these guys saying a good or decent laptop won't run PoE very well. I am a licensed Network System Administrator, and if you tell me what your budget is, I can help you find the best laptop you can buy for your money to play PoE very easily.

That being said, if your budget is a little 'too' low, I cannot necessarily guarantee the above stated, yet I can still try to help you the best I can.

Sure, laptops do not dominate desktops, but that doesn't mean you cannot run PoE well enough on a good or decent laptop computer.

P.S. Don't go with a Dell computer whatever you do. I would look into a Hewlett Packward, Asus or MSI Gaming Laptop.

Furthermore, if you are worried about cooling issues with a laptop, looking into buying one of these Laptop Cooling Pads http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=laptop+cooling+pad&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3561222297&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10404956242104758055&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6hggaixps5_b on Amazon (or whatever Online site you prefer, for example, NewEgg)
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Dec 29, 2014, 4:09:43 PM
I'm not saying it's not possible to run PoE as best as possible on a laptop.... but you're going to pay a LOT for it, and still be locked into the hardware.... for the same amount of $, you can get a desktop that is twice as good, upgradable, and will always play PoE better.

You pay for the mobility.

Out of the 2 laptops you linked, they both will not be able to make PoE fly and never give you stutters... it's not going to happen. That was my main point. Laptops are not meant for gaming.. doesn't mean you can't spend a LOT of $ to get one that can play games decently. But as I said.. for the same price, you can get twice the desktop... so *shrug*
"
Drakier wrote:
I'm not saying it's not possible to run PoE as best as possible on a laptop.... but you're going to pay a LOT for it, and still be locked into the hardware.... for the same amount of $, you can get a desktop that is twice as good, upgradable, and will always play PoE better.

You pay for the mobility.

Out of the 2 laptops you linked, they both will not be able to make PoE fly and never give you stutters... it's not going to happen. That was my main point. Laptops are not meant for gaming.. doesn't mean you can't spend a LOT of $ to get one that can play games decently. But as I said.. for the same price, you can get twice the desktop... so *shrug*

I get what you are saying, but WiseGuard wants a Laptop, and in my line of business, you have to work with what the customer wants, not what you think the customer should get that may not agree with their budget (in this case, a Desktop), or may not agree with their preference.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
"
I get what you are saying, but WiseGuard wants a Laptop, and in my line of business, you have to work with what the customer wants, not what you think the customer should get that may not agree with their budget (in this case, a Desktop), or may not agree with their preference.

Yeah.. I get it.. just wanted to make sure the OP was aware of all aspects.

In my line of work, customers don't always know what they want... they know WHAT they want, but WHAT they want is not always best.

I have to play the other side on occasion to make sure that those aspects have been considered
"
Drakier wrote:
"

Yeah.. I get it.. just wanted to make sure the OP was aware of all aspects.

In my line of work, customers don't always know what they want... they know WHAT they want, but WHAT they want is not always best.

I have to play the other side on occasion to make sure that those aspects have been considered

I get the part about making sure WiseGuard here knows all the aspects when it comes to Laptops vs. Desktops, yet I have to disagree with everything else you said, only because it does not seem to pertain to WiseGuard, though it does pertain to many other people when buying a new computer.

From what I gather, WiseGuard seems to have a pretty good idea as to what he wants seeings how WiseGuard did pick two computers (the Asus being the better one IMHO) with i7 processors, the right RAM, etc.

Furthermore, WiseGuard says the computer he has now is 5 yrs old. Therefore, I am quite sure if WiseGuard got the ASUS computer he listed, he is going to see a great difference vs. someone who already has a great computer trying to earn brownie points by buying something just a little better where performance gain is hardly noticeable.

EDIT: The only thing, though, I would suggest to WiseGaurd is getting an Asus Laptop (if a Laptop is what he truly wants) with an SSD (Solid State Drive), and if not an SSD, at least get an HDD with 7200 RPM.

In addition to that, make sure to have at least 8 GB of RAM (if it agrees with your budget).
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Dec 29, 2014, 5:05:06 PM
"
From what I gather, WiseGuard seems to have a pretty good idea as to what he wants seeings how WiseGuard did pick two computers (the Asus being the better one IMHO) with i7 processors, the right RAM, etc.

I guess I'm not seeing what you see...

From the OP, both of them have the same CPU and everything.. the only difference is the ASUS only has 6GB of RAM while the Dell has 8GB of RAM.

Just based on the specs I could find on what was posted and online, I would think the Dell would be the better system, everything else being the same.

Are you seeing something different than I am?

Edit: in addition to the 6GB vs 8GB thing, the 6GB is almost certainly 2 sticks... since they don't make 6GB sticks as far as I'm aware...

the 8GB is 1 stick, which leaves more room for upgrade to 16GB at a later time.

Edit 2: I also agree that an SSD would do a lot for performance.. especially in PoE over a 5400RPM HDD
Last edited by Drakier on Dec 29, 2014, 4:48:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info