Unable to MapViewOfFile in MapChunk. Error code 8

Error code 8
Error 8
30/06/2015 map chunk error code 8.

I have just installed a far superior graphics card to my old one (AMD R7 650x) AND have installed 4 gig of ram (I know that's standard now days but I have it)

We (My partner and I) Still get this Error, I have heard it was a RAM error before but its bullshit. It appears that the Dev`s of path of Exile haven't a solution to this problem or any advice as, despite searching numerous forums and upgrading various devices, still the path of exile "Dev`s" have made no comment on "their own website" as too a solution" I will try a direct E-mail as they have been very helpful via E-mails in the past about dynamic isp problems and will see if I get a reply .. But ... Like ... ERROR CODE 8 Map chunk. We like the game, tell us how to fix it or you fix it or we all go play other games. We would rather you just sort it out, i`m starting to think its just weak development.
Hi there!

This Error message is usually in relation to a lack of available physical memory, or corruption within the game files. Please perform a Pack check as detailed here.

In particular it may help to add "-gc 2" to the end of your Path of Exile shortcut target location if you're playing on the standalone client (It should look like this: "C:\Program Files\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\Client.exe" -gc 2), or your Launch Options if you're using the Steam Client. For more information on this, please visit this thread.

-gc 2 is garbage collection, it cleans out some stuff from ram each time you change area.
It does not prevent the error from occurring but it can slow it down enough so you may not see it during normal play.

I hope this helps!
✮ Please contact support@grindinggear.com if you need any help!
Hmm strange. I get this error with my 12GB of ram! And only 40% was in use.
The force is strong in the power of the thorns!
I may be mistaken, but I think I found a solution a couple of months ago that was different from the one Tom posted in the common errors archive. Something about changing a windows setting using the run command. I never had this issue again using that computer.
Hello Guys from GGG and fellow players,

since i must pause to play any pc-game for a few months, i now have hollidays and try to play PoE. I said try, because after getting some updates and gamestart the game constantly crashes to the desktop with the known issue "Error Code 8".

I watched many threads in this forum about this problem, tested all tips i can read here. But none of them works fine. Since i updatet the game, almost any time when i try to travel via waypoint or portal scroll, The game kicks me out. This sucks!

I have many different games on my pc nearly all of them work fine, but PoE stretches my nerves, after all i have done to solve the problem alone.

Yes, i have a Win 7 32 bit pc with "only" 4 GB Memory, but till the last one or two updates the game runs fine in any case. And now unplayable.

I see it not as my fault and want to know if there is a way to solve this problem. When not, i quit playing this game, because if other players have PCs with 12 GB and have the same Problem, no one cann tell me, that the 4GB memory is the problem.

And iam disappointed when i see that some of the other players have the same problem since the middle of 2013!

Please tell me, that there is a solution for this problem, or i leave the game because i cant get a new PC or OS everytime the game gets an update...
A dream you havent fought for, will haunt you the rest of your life
"
Pegasus_HH wrote:
Hello Guys from GGG and fellow players,

since i must pause to play any pc-game for a few months, i now have hollidays and try to play PoE. I said try, because after getting some updates and gamestart the game constantly crashes to the desktop with the known issue "Error Code 8".

I watched many threads in this forum about this problem, tested all tips i can read here. But none of them works fine. Since i updatet the game, almost any time when i try to travel via waypoint or portal scroll, The game kicks me out. This sucks!

I have many different games on my pc nearly all of them work fine, but PoE stretches my nerves, after all i have done to solve the problem alone.

Yes, i have a Win 7 32 bit pc with "only" 4 GB Memory, but till the last one or two updates the game runs fine in any case. And now unplayable.

I see it not as my fault and want to know if there is a way to solve this problem. When not, i quit playing this game, because if other players have PCs with 12 GB and have the same Problem, no one cann tell me, that the 4GB memory is the problem.

And iam disappointed when i see that some of the other players have the same problem since the middle of 2013!

Please tell me, that there is a solution for this problem, or i leave the game because i cant get a new PC or OS everytime the game gets an update...

Upgrade to a 64 bit OS? it's the only true fix...doesn't matter what GGG do the problem you have is that the game requires 2 gig of ram and you crash because your PC can't provide it, they have already reduced the assets file sizes, knocked off 2 gig+ from the ggpk file, they have altered what is required to be loaded...but at he price of the client freezing every now and then (strong boxes, standing in town, rogue exiles/other)...even then the more they add to the game the more potential assets need to be loaded to your ram so anything they would do won't fix it for all and won't be a permanent fix.

You could try the 3 gb switch (google it) but this would not work for everyone and it can be problematic.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Hello lagwin1980,

thanks for the info why this happens, it helps to understand the problem.

But it is still not satisfationing, that most (online)games novadays, work for better looking and so on games, but leaves the players alone who cant switch permanently to new hardware or a new OS...

But anyway, your tip with 3 Gb switch let me search the internet for the that and i tried as one other user wrote. I was sure, that i did this as one of the first solutions to solve this problem, but now i cant remember if i did it with admin rights...

I tried the procedure once again (to be sure to be locked in as admin) and to my surprise, the game runs abaout an hour, without a crash...

We will see, if this solves the problem permanent, but its good to see that it makes it possible, to play longer and to switch to other places in the game without permanently crashing the game.

Thanks for your "push forward" ;-)

Pegasus

Ah and by the way, happy new year!
A dream you havent fought for, will haunt you the rest of your life
Last edited by Pegasus_HH on Jan 1, 2016, 8:40:55 AM
Last edited by _ly on Jan 3, 2016, 3:00:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info