Static Strike

Anything in regards to the passive tree is a gambit at best as to where it ends up on the tree due to its sheer size, RNG element at its finest, so go figure tribal fury is down in lower marauder outside region, about as far of a stretch from my Inquisitor tree path heading through witch for crown of eyes conversions off the regions spell damage increases as it can get.

I still gotta be on the monsters face dude, maybe i'll take another shot at seeing if anybody got GG "+1 additional strike target" fingerless silk gloves with ES and cold/chaos res..... buy it on standard, and retire.

As to the skill itself, sure beams reach a hard limit on clear due to beam frequency being independent of any available stats, and pack size/density/health scaling up pretty infinitely, so 40% inc pack size, 30% more rare/magic, 60% more monster life, 300% inc monster life from party, static strike versus any grouping of packs even with 4-6 chains is gunna take at least 2 seconds. more if beyonds come into play.
Isn't that where we expect an aurabot to get involved?

Though i suppose i can appreciate maybe finally having enough single target dps to make sirius die, but if it were just that allowing all 6 beams to hit a single unique target while stationary would have been just fine.....
Last edited by ArcanicFlame on Jun 18, 2020, 10:24:59 PM
For me Static Strike feels a lot smoother than before the changes, especially with at least one of the Scion Duration clusters.

That being said, there's two/3 things about the skill that make it feel overall bad a main skill.

1. The range of the beams is very small, despite the chain range being quite long. It would be nice if it was either larger at base, gained radius as it levelled, or scaled with Melee Strike Range.

2. The skill is great for clearing, however I could not for the life of me make the single target feel good. This may just be a personal failing on my part, can't be sure.

3. Without sources of additional Strike targets, it's actually really awkward to consistently hit mob packs. This is a problem that's solved by using Ancestral Cry or picking up Tribal Fury. Though perhaps adding a small aoe, or perhaps even an initial static beam to the end of the attack could solve that.
Consider creating a jewel that does something like the following:

When you retaliate with static energy, extend static energy by 4 seconds and it chains +1 times to a maximum of +n times.

or

When you retaliate while affected by Herald of Thunder, the melee strike is replaced with Static Strike.

Of course, retaliate could be anything like crit, or get shocked, or something else (i just use it with retaliation skill gems and made a pretty fun 'thorns' build). If static energy had a better duration than 2 seconds (like it's original 4), it could be a nicely balanced skill. I'm not sure why you all nerfed it, but even as it is now, I have buffed it to ~5 seconds of up-time assuming I don't refresh it (then it's as long as I have enemies nearby for uptime) and each zap chains 4 times triggering more fun stuff every .3 seconds.

I don't mind that the damage is low because I don't use static strike to do damage. It's just a catalyst to trigger other spells in my setup, so if the frequency could be increased or the duration of the static energy buff, then all the better for me.

Edit: And I'm just considering now that the skill gem has the Strike modifier. Since this modifier doesn't seem to get as much love or play as Slam seems to, consider creating a whole line of jewels affecting each of the Strike skills to do more fun stuff.
Last edited by kahwigulum on Oct 19, 2020, 5:26:54 PM
building off the above^:

"static strike beam firings have a #% chance to apply a debuff to all monsters hit which causes them to take damage when they hit you"
"monster hits against you which trigger damaging defender abilities or incur damage to the attacker extend static strike buff duration .1 second to a maximum total 2 seconds"

Source options (for development choices):
threshold strike-themed jewel
non-threshold strike-themed jewel
inherent to skill gem
new or reworked alt quality of skill gem
rework of current superior quality of skill gem
some combination of the above

OR

bring the base duration back up to 3 seconds
Last edited by ArcanicFlame on Nov 18, 2020, 11:19:41 PM
Hello,

I have been brainstorming this skill for last few weeks and have one suggestion: Beams act as if they were projectiles,

Currently they have Chaining tag naturally but, it's not a hugely useful tag put it that way :P

Thanks for your consideration ! I have some interesting stuff with battlemage cry to test either way!

By the way last date on post is sadge... haha

Edit: This might not even be feasible since the damage is snaphshotting from a melee attack.

If we add, say, +2-4 base melee strike range onto the gem itself I'd be happy enough with that :P
Last edited by RUSHJKL on Jul 24, 2021, 7:43:41 PM
"
Jess_GGG wrote:
Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.

Im back again with further thoughts.

This skill is about snapshotting a large hit and running with it using phasing run.

Its fun to line up your buffs before hitting a mob because, with static strike, you can RUN with that damage.

So my idea is:

Duration of static strike buff is based on a health threshold of the mob you hit.

White mob in map will give you a nice long good buff to clear with, but vs a boss with high health, the buff will be much shorter.

A long static strike buff means you have a walking coc machine that ISNT cyclone for once, and is half lightning so opens up a whole slew of other options.

Edit: Static strike casts a linked lightning spell each time a group of beams is sent out.

Triggers are hot right now give static strike some love haha

Great league btw. Act 1 was the most fun Ive had playing the game in a long time.

Last edited by RUSHJKL on Jul 25, 2021, 3:43:11 AM
Beam Frequency is just too slow, even with Phantasmal Gem.

Gem needs a scalar. #% of Attack Speed gained as Beam Frequency. I think it would be fine as a Berserker skill then, just need to pick up Brinksmanship. Ideally one wouldn't run Phantasmal gem because reduced AoE is terrible.

It does giga damage, just not quickly enough for things you cannot reasonably expect to "one shot" i.e. bosses.

Other than that and the visual effect being kinda poor I feel the skill is pretty good and has great mechanics. Just needs a little help.

Last edited by SpergBerg on Apr 28, 2022, 7:16:37 PM
Played around with this a bit in endless delve. It gave me frenzy charges via ice bite, and fortify, despite chucking out helixes to deal with rares.

Playing this skill is self-torture. Unless you heavily invest into it and make it your main skill with tribal fury/ancestral call, even when a mob is walking toward you and you turn, nameplate and attack it, you miss about 50% of the time and beams don't start. It feels like you're a rat trapped in a sticky pad at times, you try to attack to kill things, and I'm a jugg so I can let them beat on me for a while, but it's just so slow because of the miss mechanic.

Suggestion:
It currently reads "attack with a melee weapon gaining static energy for a duration if you hit an enemy".
Delete the "if you hit an enemy" part.

This is dark ages of poe mechanics, there are so many punishments already in place for going melee, the fortify nerf alone means I'm likely to die if I can't keep it up and miss... I just don't know why melee is played by anyone when you can go caster and be guaranteed to hit things from a screen away when many of the melee skills are so punishing to the player and make quality of life terrible.
So I was theorycrafting static strike build and came across a thing that is hard to test.

How does static strike work with conditions like "enemies on full life"?

We have dagger mastery that gives 100% crit multi agains enemies on full life, so will that mean that when snapshot happens we get damage boost for the duration or just initial hit?

So as we are running only 1st zap on full life mob will get +100% multi?

Also seems like Nightblade support is bad with a skill since judging by wording on a gem we get damage boost after the first hit that enables elusive buff, thus cannot be snapshotted.

Any thoughts?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info