Celestial Judgement - 2% reduction? Seems rubbish!

Because stacking... if you already use a spell&pen-gem, that node is awesome.
d:-D*
Say you're up against a boss and using cast-on-hit elemental weakness from corrupted gloves as your main source of reducing elemental resists.

Level 11 EW curse is -30% resists. Boss curse resistance is 70%, so really that curse is only reducing resists by 9%, and the boss has 75% capped resists to begin with.

Without this node, 100 damage is reduced to 34. With the node, 100 damage is reduced to 36. That's 12% MORE damage. In other words, this damage boost is calculated separately from the 18% increased damage boost the node is mostly known for.

It's pretty sweet, because it helps elemental damage users where they need help most - against capped resist bosses who shrug off curses due to their innate resistances.

That said, I do wish I didn't have to pass by so many 6% elemental damage nodes just to get to this and the other notable in the cluster. It's an ability that is more or less mandatory for elemental damage builds, so all those nodes to get to the notable seem like an "elemental damage tax" of sorts.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
Last edited by gilrad on Dec 13, 2014, 8:19:19 AM
"
gilrad wrote:
Say you're up against a boss and using cast-on-hit elemental weakness from corrupted gloves as your main source of reducing elemental resists.

Level 11 EW curse is -30% resists. Boss curse resistance is 70%, so really that curse is only reducing resists by 9%, and the boss has 75% capped resists to begin with.

Without this node, 100 damage is reduced to 34. With the node, 100 damage is reduced to 36. That's 12% MORE damage. In other words, this damage boost is calculated separately from the 18% increased damage boost the node is mostly known for.

It's pretty sweet, because it helps elemental damage users where they need help most - against capped resist bosses who shrug off curses due to their innate resistances.

That said, I do wish I didn't have to pass by so many 6% elemental damage nodes just to get to this and the other notable in the cluster. It's an ability that is more or less mandatory for elemental damage builds, so all those nodes to get to the notable seem like an "elemental damage tax" of sorts.

Ok, I _think_ I get where you're coming from here. So it seems like a good node to take for late-game maps when you are trying to maximise damage against bosses or ele-resistant mobs.

Thanks for the explanation, that really helps.

"
Raye wrote:
Hi OP, everyone else seems just to lazy to explain it properly, so I'll try:

Assume you're a freezing pulser, 100% cold damage. Assume you're attacking a creep with 1000 dmg while he's cold resistant with 70% cold res. You'd be doing only 300 damage.

Then a 2% cold res penetration takes you from 30% to 32% of your total damage, which is in fact 6,66% more damage.
It's all about turning the numbers, if you have 75% resistance to fire it's easier to think you only take 25% damage from fire. If you increase that with Rise of the Phoenix you get 83% res, or you take 17%. 17/25 = 0,68 which means you now take 32% less damage from cold than with 75% res.

It's mostly good vs resistance creeps (and PVP I'd guess), and without the 18% ele dmg I'd never consider it myself, but the cluster all in all seems very good for ele builds.

Thanks, that helps a lot!
Last edited by Yosharian on Dec 13, 2014, 8:23:34 AM
It can even get worse than that... in PvP you'll be facing players with 80% or more resistances. Cutting 80% to 78% is an increase of 10%. You've gone from doing 20% of your damage damage to doing 22% of your damage.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
It can even get worse than that... in PvP you'll be facing players with 80% or more resistances. Cutting 80% to 78% is an increase of 10%. You've gone from doing 20% of your damage damage to doing 22% of your damage.

I see. I don't plan on PvPing anytime soon but thanks for the illustration =p

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info