How to save evasion or Acrobatics

"
XCodes wrote:
This is so asinine...

I'm sick and tired of people going on and on about how each of the defenses is bad. They all have strengths and weaknesses, and if you're being serious about the matter then you should know that if you itemize around those differences then you'll have an effective defense. I realize that ARPG players sometimes have a difficult time with critical thinking, but you really should try it in this case.

What's asinine is people complaining about suggestions being made on the suggestions forum. Thanks for the bump though.
Best defensive stat is movement speed. All the rest only serves as a buffer. :p
Evasion, Acrobatics, and all of that is ok. Yes, as Scrotie will say it's kind of a "Yo Dawg" meme going on with it, but it's a very survivable playstyle, IF you play as an evasive character. You cannot be in groups and expect to never get hit, you have to get HP, and you need to maximise your survivability stats, but that is true of any defensive system in the game taken in a vacuum. When you start combining defensive systems in PoE you start to hit amazing returns on your survivability, like HP/Eva/Acro/Phase Acro/Shield or DW Block/Arrow Dodging. This is an incredibly survivable build, very likely to never even be close to a one shot mechanic, and can mitigate (to an extent) from every damage source in the game. If you throw in Endurance charges as well, you even have ACTUAL mitigation against physical damage as well.

I am sorry that many people are perpetuating the stereotypes of Evasion being horrible, but a large part of that is trying to rely on only Evasion, and nothing in the game works by itself, you always have to layer survivability stats.
"
ghostcub wrote:
Evasion, Acrobatics, and all of that is ok. Yes, as Scrotie will say it's kind of a "Yo Dawg" meme going on with it, but it's a very survivable playstyle, IF you play as an evasive character. You cannot be in groups and expect to never get hit, you have to get HP, and you need to maximise your survivability stats, but that is true of any defensive system in the game taken in a vacuum. When you start combining defensive systems in PoE you start to hit amazing returns on your survivability, like HP/Eva/Acro/Phase Acro/Shield or DW Block/Arrow Dodging. This is an incredibly survivable build, very likely to never even be close to a one shot mechanic, and can mitigate (to an extent) from every damage source in the game. If you throw in Endurance charges as well, you even have ACTUAL mitigation against physical damage as well.

I am sorry that many people are perpetuating the stereotypes of Evasion being horrible, but a large part of that is trying to rely on only Evasion, and nothing in the game works by itself, you always have to layer survivability stats.

While I don't agree entirely, what you said about layering survivability is true. And you'll notice, my concept doesn't suggest evasion should be relied upon alone, as other defenses remain intact. This is more about giving evasion mechanics a feel of control, rather than a feel of chance.

Thanks for conveying your perspective respectfully.

Last edited by Craptain on Feb 7, 2013, 2:33:25 PM
"
Craptain wrote:
"
ghostcub wrote:

While I don't agree entirely, what you said about layering survivability is true. And you'll notice, my concept doesn't suggest evasion should be relied upon alone, as other defenses remain intact. This is more about giving evasion mechanics a feel of control, rather than a feel of chance.

Thanks for conveying your perspective respectfully.

The problem with your idea is that you're turning what is an inherently "passive" defensive triad into 2 "passive" and one "active" defense. I don't think that will work, and will end up having people to rely on more button mashing and end up just causing issues over time as new people come to the game and see the dichotomy.
I like evasion a lot more than armor. Evasion + life means that I can tank bosses way easier, since armor is basically useless on physical-hit bosses.
IGN: Miablo
Getting active skills via passive tree will not happen. And evasion has the same problem like armor. Both works well, but both let high impact blows kill you, if you have low life points. So every player is forced to max defense skills and life.

Patchworking on armor or evasion will not help, because both system allows high hitting blows to crush you. Team could buff armor and evasion or nerf incoming damage, but this will make pure defense classes undying.

Perhaps team could go another way. Heavy crushes will not fataly kill a player, they will make moderate damage peaks and reduce armor rating, evasion chance and flasks effect as shortly stacking debuff. Melees can tank heavy crusher, but more and more hits will finally overwhelm them. Players have now the option, to build high dps-classes for fast damage or heavy armored or evasive tanks who can hold more debuff stacks.
Agreed with a previous commenter, every defense has its use. Energy shield is good for preventing stun, health is a good all around defense, armor is good for negating damage from all sources and dodge is great at negating 100% damage every other attack. You can't have armor without health, you can't have dodge without health. Basically, health is the prime factor. It's /the/ stat. The others just support it.

I would also dislike the idea of an evasion bar. I feel that a health and energy shield bar is already enough, and an evasion bar would just be pushing it over the line. Evasion works for what it is, and it works here much better than in every other game I've played. Is there room for improvement? Yes, obviously. There's always room for impovement. But for what Evasion is, I'd say it's working well. A passive that gives damage reduction based on dodge would be nice or something, but evasion /is/ just evading attacks.

Every 2-4% of evasion = 1% all around damage reduction passive? The reasoning could be that you've gotten so well at dodging attacks that even when hit, you know how to move to lessen the blow. If they attack your arm from above, you'll know to move your hand down and back, thus lessening the time the blade is touching you, while also lessening the pressure that the blade has on your skin.
"
Nibori wrote:
Getting active skills via passive tree will not happen.

Never suggested it. Converting evasion into a resource is a passive function. The different active skills would still come from skill gems.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info