Mapping tips for new, and old players!

I recently started to do maps. First I entered them unmodded, just to get to know them. Especially as a new player starting with maps I recommend to avoid the Dungeon map boss, because even without any mods he seems to be designed for BiS players. The Orchard boss on the other hand can be done, if immediately after entering his area one drops a ranged attack/spell totem, while zigzagging in a distance and recasting the totem. But map bosses don't necessarily drop any better items than magics or rares and also have no guaranteed drops, so it won't be a big loss to skip them.

One general tip for new players:

For farming purpose stat values are highly overrated in the forums, it's not easy for a new player, who most likely has no valuable currencies a/o items yet, to get beyond 2,5k life and 1k ES without sacrificing too much damage. But this doesn't mean that A3m areas or maps won't be doable. Instead of sacrificing damage I recommend to use other defensives like minions or totems. A very efficient and save way for beginners is an Arc and a Frost Wall spell totem setup, it will greatly compensate the lack of defensives and knowledge until more of both has been achieved (though it will be useless against physical AoE like the Dungeon boss does, but this is the only limitation I encountered so far).
ty for guide
:)
"
HRDL wrote:
ty for guide
:)

you are most welcome :)
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
Where is the part for old players? ^_^
"
Punica1980 wrote:
Where is the part for old players? ^_^

oh, thats for the next guide :P
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
My tips would be quite different.

1. Know the types of monsters that regularly appear in maps, and the bosses.

Some monsters can be problematic, especially spawning from strongboxes, so if you know Devourers are a problem for you, don't run 73 Dark Forest maps with 50% extra magic monsters with Vulnerability.

Some bosses are better off skipped. While I can semi-easily do Merveil on a 75 Necropolis map, I still refuse to fight the 68 Museum map bosses because they can trap me by the entrance and overwhelm me. 72 Jungle Valley is another boss I never attempt, because chaos dmg flicker strike spiders are bullshit.

2. Smash ALL vases and baskets.

Especially important in high level maps; vases have given me maps, uniques, and plenty of rares. Maps being the key though; after you clear a 74 map and did not get another high level map... those vases may surprise you.

3. Sometimes it is better to run a low quantity map with 50% more magic monsters, than a high quantity map without extra magic monsters. It is ALWAYS better to run +magic monsters and +pack size.

Magic monsters always drop items. Having many of the monsters in a map magic (blue), means more items, and more chances at more maps.

4. If you are not doing the unidentified rare chaos/regal recipe, and get so many rares you couldn't possibly bring them all back (portal limited), then make sure you have Wisdom scrolls with you and bring back what will give you the best currency.

You need to know the vendor recipes. Knowing that +2 to bow skills rare will vendor alch shards, while the same bow without +2 won't, will make the most of what you can sell.

5. Carry on you - Trans, Alts, Augs, and Alch orbs. Add Chaos, Vaal, and Regal if you can afford it.

You don't want to waste a portal to go get an orb to upgrade a Strongbox, and you do want to re-roll any strongboxes for favourable mods. I'll often spend at least a stack of Alts re-rolling an Arcanists Strongbox; 15+ currency items is better than 7.

By spending many Alts, you may also come across the better rolls like 'contains 1 extra unique item' or 'items are fully linked'.

When you start doing 73+ maps and get ilvl 75 items, amass as many Regals as you can with the vendor recipe and bring some with you. On higher maps, I'll often Trans to make it magic, then Alt + Aug to get nice rolls, then Regal it.

6. If you are not going to scour a bad roll rare map, then Vaal Orb it.

While you can brick the map with the same mods, or simply get an unidentified result, I have Vall'ed 40% bad roll rare maps into 122% quantity maps with not so bad rolls.

7. Lastly, if you are totally new to do doing maps, level up if possible before doing them so you don't lose as much exp.

You will die while learning maps, and especially when 'trying out' that boss. If you are 10% to 70, go run a high level area you can easily clear and level up before trying that map.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info