Mapping tips for new, and old players!

Hello my fellow Path of Exile Players!

How are we all?!

das good, or bad.... whatever floats your boat before the whole titanic thing happens and it sinks.

I'm here today for my first detailed guide for mappers who want to make the best of this amazing end game content.

So.. What are maps?

Maps are an item acquired in Merciless, typically found in 64 monster level areas (Act 3: Ebony barracks, Merciless difficulty) and onwards.

Maps come in levels from level 66 to 80 (Uber atziri included)

Now, what is the best gear to use if i'm new to mapping?

A question that i have seen many times in the time ive played this game... The best gear varies between survivability, and magic find (MF). I'm about to explain in depth and with item links... so, be prepared!

Survivability is both Life, life regen, Resist, Armour/Evasion rating, or Energy Shield, as well as Block chance (which comes with any shield)...

I'm sure by the time you have reached merciless, you understand what linking skills are, right? good.
When you begin mapping, and have low survivability, it is best to have the following gems to help you survive.

and well, many more, if you would like to know more, youll need to contact me below :)

now, those gems might be useless to the big guys who are lvl 90+ and have GG items, but as a noob, it has helped me alot...

There is one unique, that i want to mention, that has helped me alot, when it came to finding nice items and decent uniques...

it gives you item rarity, as well as resist and some defence.

Now, here are some tips..., thats right, tips, no more rambling!

- Survivability will always be more important then MF until you reach a level where your skill tree is practically finished.

- Vendor trips (full inventory of rares) are very useful, you only get 5 chances, so dont die while planning to do a map with 5 vendor trips!

- if your gear is bad, farm Dominus! or the docks!

THIS IS A BIG ONE :3 (totally what she said)

- If you are just starting out, look for % monster pack/magic pack/rare pack! they can get you levelled in one map :3

- Untainted paradise might be nerfed, but that also means it will cost less to get a spot, there is, unfortunately, no loot, so, its basically an EXP map.

- Tora, Elreon, Zana and Haku (untimed) are all great chances to rack up some Experience... Tora is great with magic mobs, Elreon sends you waves of enemies to crush :D Zana is basically a free map, as she summons 6 or 1 portal with a map linked to it... AND IT COULD ALSO BE A UNIQUE <3 And haku has some friendly monsters (if you avoid those darn totems)

Now, people might disagree with me on this, and thats fine, each to their own... but to the noobs or beginners out there

Clear speed doesnt matter when you first start out... because you might only have a 4L and it will be slow, that is fine, go at your own pace... i started slow, really slow, like, so slow it puts racing above the speed i mapped at...

Now... to conclude

With maps, HAVE FUN, please, you might die, lost 10% exp, its no big deal :) because not only will you get loot, but alot of experience and fun :)

Now, if you wanna see some decentish end game mapping gear, let me link you my Tornado Shot crit rangers....

Mind you, this gear is end game and really expensive, so, its okay if you do not have these items.

If you do have any questions, please, PM me here (click PM on the right of this post, under my forum name, and type away) or Whisper me at: TwisterShot

Thank you for reading, please, let me know what you think :)
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
boop

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
bumping for gooooood measure :3 dont be shy ppl, please tell me how i did for my first guide ;3

Heh, nice. Although, if you accept some tips:

1) The gems... Keep in mind that some builds have restrictions. Some don't use a bow, some can't afford one more aura. On the other hand, Temporal Chains is a nice touch and Freeze Mine truly shines here.

2)Dominus and Docks are risky for unprepared characters. I'd rather say City of Sarn.

Other than that, it's a really nice guide! I like your style; straightforward yet useful.
Keep it up! ^_^

PS!
Also, Aurseize is a nice touch. Pretty underrated, except for MF characters.
"Path of Exile needs a Circlejerk Subforum" -cypherrage
Last edited by Voidin_Blitz on Nov 23, 2014, 11:33:50 AM
"
Voidin_Blitz wrote:
Heh, nice. Although, if you accept some tips:

1) The gems... Keep in mind that some builds have restrictions. Some don't use a bow, some can't afford one more aura. On the other hand, Temporal Chains is a nice touch and Freeze Mine truly shines here.

2)Dominus and Docks are risky for unprepared characters. I'd rather say City of Sarn.

Other than that, it's a really nice guide! I like your style; straightforward yet useful.
Keep it up! ^_^

PS!
Also, Aurseize is a nice touch. Pretty underrated, except for MF characters.

<3 much love man! yeah, i rarely see gems like temp chains and freeze mine used in early mapping stages :P so i decided to make some use for it :P

Thank you for the compliment :) im hoping to add more guides later on, in the future...

i came here to see a detailed guide how to kill orchard boss, like how to move, how to breathe, how to meditate b4 the fight but it aint here, it aint here at all! none understands me!..
"Individuation ends when emptiness and form become one" Carl Gustav Jung
"
dealer13 wrote:
i came here to see a detailed guide how to kill orchard boss, like how to move, how to breathe, how to meditate b4 the fight but it aint here, it aint here at all! none understands me!..

You kill the Orchard boss by being Chuck Norris.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
"
Now, what is the best gear to use if i'm new to mapping?A question that i have seen many times in the time ive played this game... The best gear varies between survivability, and magic find (MF).

It depends on what your goals are as well, if you're more concerned with leveling or farming currency to be able to afford upgrades. I would suggest that, initially (especially for new players), the focus should be on res balance and defenses, reaching 75% cap to all elemental resistances as soon as possible, with as much life/es on said gear as possible. Then the secondary focus should be on damage boosts. Third, any magic find that can be added in the process.

"
it is best to have the following gems to help you survive.

A lot of the gems you've linked, as mentioned by another poster, are build dependent. The fundamental focus for survivability gems that are universal would be a Cast on Damage Taken / Enduring Cry setup and either leech on gear or the leech gem. For Iron Reflexes or evasion builds, Grace. For Eldritch battery Builds, clarity + discipline + artic armour are a must. Like you say there's a wide variety of defensive possibilities. These are just a few that you've listed.

"
There is one unique, that i want to mention, that has helped me alot, when it came to finding nice items and decent uniques...

- Survivability will always be more important then MF until you reach a level where your skill tree is practically finished.

While the Best In Slot (BiS) unique for a hybrid combination of MF/defense, I feel it's important to mention that this should be replaced with any pair of life/es gloves (as build-appropriate) until the player has enough of a life/es pool in order to be able to eat burst damage and keep fighting. 3.8K life and 4.5K ES would be my recommendations, as ES builds tend to lack in other defensive measures early on.

You mention this, as noted, but I wanted to add some detail.

"
- Vendor trips (full inventory of rares) are very useful, you only get 5 chances, so dont die while planning to do a map with 5 vendor trips!

This is critical. A lot of players underestimate the value of taking the time to slow down and vendor all the rares they find. I can make anywhere between 3-5ex worth of raw currency per day (in an MF setup, obviously), with a large portion of it coming from vending literally all the rares I find.

But even with minimal MF, taking the time to make these vendor trips is a key difference in being able to afford upgrades, and not being able to.

"
- if your gear is bad, farm Dominus! or the docks!

I would suggest for those with resistance troubles for those particular areas to also try Catacombs, City of Sarn, or Library/Archives. Or if you can handle the tentacle miscreations in Lunaris, farm Piety.

"
- Tora, Elreon, Zana and Haku (untimed) are all great chances to rack up some Experience...

Haku is virtually always timed. But every other master provides a small map area to get a bit of extra XP out of.

More importantly, especially in early challenge leagues or as a new player in general, there are three masters I recommend having in your hideout at all times for dailies, once you can, and focusing on levelling:

Zana (Free map, free map pool sustain)
Haku (Most flexible master for upgrading found armour)
Elreon (Add that missing THING on your jewelry)

"
Clear speed doesnt matter when you first start out... because you might only have a 4L and it will be slow, that is fine, go at your own pace...

Agreed. Patience is key in order to gear and level up effectively. It's more important to play less risky and farm everything you can to level up and get currency to be able to afford those upgrades to improve your clear speed later. Rushing maps early and dying lots as a result is a surefire way to get frustrated.

--------------------

I'd like to add one thing here for players interested in playing hardcore for the first time. The easiest thing to do is choose a build that will rip you immediately without being geared, getting angry and ragequitting.

Finding an effective build for your first HC character that can successfully farm with decent MF and not rip (even if the clear speed is slow) is important. If only so that you can afford the gear to play the build you WANT to play.

For that, I recommend the following: Crit-based Blood Magic Three Dragons Flame Totem.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/989913

The gear that Zaun uses is BiS but the principle is the important bit. The blood magic variation takes away mana concerns and actually frees up item affixes for you to be able to get MF on virtually everything, and the life regeneration you sustain from it provides excellent survivability.

Alternately, if you don't like Blood Magic, there's this normal FT MF variant more suited to SC play but can be easily adapted to HC.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/979802

Anyway. My thoughts.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
bumpinggg

up

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info