[2.1] Dual Apep's Chaos Crit - Stapling Chaos to a Level 1 Spell (Draft Spark Totem tree up)

Hi guys,

played high crit/multi fp in rampage a bit but wanted to do something with apeps too, this is awesome.

To Enki91: I played fp with ~640 multi, leech gem gmp coldpen & 20/20 fp with vaalpact i was able to oneshot myself on 18% ele reflect maps. Not on normal packs though but you might need it if you stick to level 20 fp. :p
Think this could work with Ball Lightning or Lightning Tendrils?

Both benefit hugely from the cast speed and don't require GMP, freeing up a link.
Last edited by Languidness on Nov 28, 2014, 3:28:52 AM
What are you thoughts on Cherrubim's Maleficence? Although it doesn't have resistances or ES that is converted into mana via EB, it can roll pretty high life (70-100), just under 2k arm+eva (converted to pure armor via IR), and gives decent bonuses to chaos damage (up to 20%) and life leech rate (30%).
IGN: ITTVx
SHOP (archived): 312212
@Languidness

I think Ball Lightning is bad. It can hit at most 5 times per second each enemy at only 30% damage effectiveness regardless of how fast you shoot. Compare that with 6+ attacks per second at 100% effectiveness with positive damage from multiple projectiles rather than a guaranteed negative.

However, I think that Lightning Tendrils has potential. The damage effectiveness is offset by the 4-attacks per cast. With a lower crit chance, a smaller area, and no shotgun, it has drawbacks, but I like the ability to deal full damage at maximum extension. It would be safer, but deal less damage. It might be sweet with Knockback due to the absence of shotgun.

@ITTVx

That armor seems ok, especially if you were to go the direction that Enki91 takes it without MoM. It does have several things that generally help and the chaos damage is better here than it would be on other builds, but I'm not sure it is enough to take the place of another option. If I were to go this way, I might consider Belly of the Beast, Lightning Coil, or Atziri's Splendor instead.

I'd have to try it, but the leech bonus on Cherrubim's Maleficence may be the best part. Combining it with some cleverly crafted Vorici's jewelry might make the leech from the spell much more potent. I'm not sure it would be enough to ditch MoM though.
Doomed for Life
OK, leveled to 86 pretty easily today, checked out the feedback you guys gave and wanna give some more feedback myself now.

The following only applies to making this build work with a Lv20 Freezing Pulse!

------------------------------------------

This is the most optimal tree for both DPS and survivability, while having enough regen to support the huge mana cost:

Gear-wise i didn't change too much. Dropped Vaal Clarity for a second Ass Mark for bosses with external bossrooms, where you may not always be able to keep up HoT for autocursing. Also split the Maligaros in 2x 2ls, since Empower of course also applied to my Enduring Cry (duh!).
Also managed to vaal an Added Chaos to 21/20 :)

DPS (with all DPS nodes) is at 193k shotgun, 253k with Atziri's Promise and Vaal Haste up.
Pretty good results for a pair of 2ex wands i'd say.

Survivability is ok. Dropping MoM hurts alot in situations with high burst damage, but it works if you are aware of the danger and play carefully. Relying completely on buffed AA and killspeed kinda reminded me of playing my LL Wander back in the day.
It works to cramp in Cloak of Defiance for more survivability if needed, but you'll have to drop Discipline and Inner Force and get your resistances from other slots.

Gear i was using is the following:
Spoiler

On a fun sidenote, was still reaching 109k unbuffed with this:
Spoiler

Again, thumbs up to this idea SirDragos, i knew Apep's had potential but never expected this.
Also a special thanks to LazyJanitor for creating this wonderful unique.
Will try around with a few more skills after the 1w race ends!
twitch.tv/enki91
Last edited by Enki91 on Dec 3, 2014, 12:42:54 PM
why does nobody notice the a circle of chaos damage on the top right corner ? It's not far too

also, why GMP, not LMP ?
Last edited by SaoDiSeng on Nov 28, 2014, 4:56:01 PM
"
SaoDiSeng wrote:
why does nobody notice the a circle of chaos damage on the top right corner ? It's not far too

also, why GMP, not LMP ?

We noticed it, but it is not efficient enough. No other 5 dps nodes are worth trading to get it. What would you cut that is not better? I had it on several drafts of the theorycraft, but I ended up cutting it.

As for the LMP/GMP issue, have you ever played with Freezing Pulse? GMP is much, much better when you can shotgun. The 50% less damage for 5 projectiles works out to 250%. LMP is is 30% less damage at 3 projectiles, which works out to 210%. Try playing a Freezepulser for a while on one and then switch to the other. You'll notice a pronounced difference.

@Enki91

Nice job with the tree and lvl 20 variant. The only thing I can see changing with the tree is I'm not sure that Method to the Madness is good enough anymore when so much of your damage is non-chaos. The Scion's generic Spelldamage and some cast speed might be better.

I'm definitely going to try out a version like this with Berek's Grip after the respec. I think I'm going to try out Added Lightning and maybe try to fit in a Cold Snap on a 4L for emergencies instead of going whole hog with the CoT CoH or using Ice Spear as a single target. On my last Freezepulser, I used that to proliferate freeze in a pinch and I think it might fit here.
Doomed for Life
Last edited by SirDragos on Nov 29, 2014, 11:47:33 AM
how about using glacial cascade, do you think the 80% effectiveness is practical? Considering that theres chance or hitting multiple times per target, the chaos damage would amplify several times
Last edited by KingKendrick on Dec 3, 2014, 9:11:41 AM
Of course you were right about the scion spell damage nodes! Kinda overlooked them as they were saved as bad nodes in my memory :D

Updated the previous post with new tree and updated dps numbers.
twitch.tv/enki91
"
how about using glacial cascade, do you think the 80% effectiveness is practical? Considering that theres chance or hitting multiple times per target, the chaos damage would amplify several times

Glacial Cascade works as well. My buddy has designed a self-cursing Punishment/Shackles of the Wretched build that is an offshoot of this project that started from pure GC Dual Apep's. He evolved into using Pledge of Hands after a while, but there is some great info here on the Apep's version: http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/2mw3dk/punishing_yourself_in_path_of_exile/ along with a video.

@Enki91
Thanks for the updated tree.

I want to try your high lvl FP version in 1.3.
Main changes:
Maligaro's over Voidbringer
Berek's Grip
One more regen piece of jewelry if I can swing it.
Your auras, but perhaps empowering Clarity and Discipline in Geofri's.
High level empowered AA
Your links, except Added Lightning instead of Faster Projectiles.
No single target Ice Spear.

I've been playing with the new skill tree in the builder. It has several new toys.

I'm not sure about the Celestial Wheel outside Templar. I could take other dps nodes, but since my damage will be approximately 60% elemental, that percent of 40% elemental + 30% most of the time + the other benefits seems worth it. Thoughts?
Doomed for Life
Last edited by SirDragos on Dec 5, 2014, 5:23:53 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info