[1.2] Whaitiri's Agnerod East Arc Trapper - 68% Pen, Dualcurse, Acro/Ondars

New, party-oriented 1.3 Version: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1178911

--------------------------------------------------------

Hi fellow Exile, welcome to my Agnerod East Arc Trapper guide!

This build is, as the name implies, centered around the unique staff "Agnerod East".
Instead of being a tooltip-DPS blender, it focuses on consistent damage-multipliers that work behind the curtain - resistance reduction, -penetration and shock.
With maximum penetration and dual curses you can bring enemies down to up to -180 lightning resistance in best case, which together with shocks and Multitrap Arcs' mad chaining eradicates big packs quickly.
Defense comes in form of high mobility, dodge, evasion and the ability to kill from range.

It's a very fast-paced and fun build, but requires some currency to get started and is thus probably not suited for new players.

1. Passive Tree

2. Bandit Rewards

Help Oak
Kill All
Kill All

3. Gems

This should go into your staff.. Arc + Trap outclasses Lightning Trap by miles. Multiple Traps gives us 3x the chains going through packs at once. Lightning Penetration to reach maximum light res penetration. Add Empower for more damage in a 5L.

If you're fortunate enough to own a 6L add Elemental Proliferation for more consistent shocks, but it's not needed at all.

Herald of Thunder isn't just good for constant curse application, but also deals some significant damage in this setup and usually 1-shots smaller trash enemies. Reduced Mana and Curse on Hit are self-explanatory. Conductivity + Elemental Weakness as full-dps setup, for more defense switch Ele Weak with Enfeeble.

If you own a 6L add Empower for more flat damage on Herald of Thunder's bolts (Lv3 adds around 1.1k top-end damage) or Enhance for more powerful global lightning damage (thanks to sherkhan for the idea). You could also add a third curse if you got a +1 Curse Amulet or use Doedre's Damning.

Selfcast Arc to trigger Herald of Thunder and as backup damage, since traps have a cooldown.
Faster Casting > Spell Echo, the latter will only unnecessarily lock you in place for an unneeded second cast. Lightning Penetration to go with the theme of this build. Culling Strike to make sure you get the kill over your traps, to constantly keep up Herald of Thunder.

You can also switch Lightning Penetration with Item Rarity to grind some currency or cull in parties.

Reduced Mana, Grace and Clarity finish our Aura Setup. Arctic Armour gives some extra movement speed and damage reduction.
Keep AA at a level that matches your Mana Regeneration, in my case that's Lv11.

CwDt + Enduring Cry helps against physical hits that get past Evasion Entropy and Dodge.
Vaal Grace + Increased Duration helps surviving tougher bosses and exiles.

4. Equipment

Our main stats are Life, Evasion and Lightning Damage %. Around 350 Energy Shield or Mana is needed on gear to use 5l+ Traps with a high level Clarity, 69 Strength to equip Agnerod.
6L's are not needed, infact you can do well even with 4L chest/staff.

Agnerod East is the key unique for this build, and the only way to reach maximum possible Light Res Penetration in this game. The penetration is added globally to all your skills including Herald of Thunder's lightning bolts. Agnerod is also the biggest source of pure %-based Lightning Damage in this game. This again highly favors Herald of Thunder, which is affected by Lightning Damage % but not by Spell Damage.

Please don't come and claim your mirrorworthy +3 Spellcrit Staff which costs 100x the price of Agnerod is better, because for this build it's not.

A life-based Atziri's Splendour with either Eva+ES or full Eva is a solid choice and gives massive Life back when culling with your Arc. Lightning Coil or a high Eva rare chest may be better, but it'll be extremely hard to get the right colours for Herald of Thunder. A high Eva+ES Carnal Armour would be a good compromise if Splendour is unavailable.

Get a pure Eva or Eva+ES helmet with Life and Resistances. I've tried dropping Charisma and use Alpha's Howl, but it wasn't enough mana left to lay traps.

Same as helm slot, Eva+Es or pure Eva with Life and Resistances.

BiS boots for all Acro/Phase Acro chars. Good corruptions would be +Dodge or +Movement Speed.

Doryani's Invitation giving us badly needed Strength, some Resistances, Lightning Damage % and free leech to our culling Arc and Herald of Thunders bolts.

I'll summarize jewelry because all three slots need the same - Life, Resistances and Mana Regeneration Rate. Helpful attributes on top would be Strength, Lightning Damage %, Cast Speed, Energy Shield and Mana.

Seething Divine Flask to quick heal, an Eternal Flask (preferably Saturated) to counter DoT's.
A jade flask for some additional Evasion when needed, Quicksilver Flasks for fast movement.
Suffixes needed are Staunching, Warding and Heat, try getting Adrenaline on Quicksilvers.

5. Leveling

I've respecced a Lv77 Shadow from Beyond to this build, so i can only give theoretical advice up to that point.

Use Fire Trap + Lightning Tendrils until you get Arc, then switch to either Arc Traps + Tendrils or Fire Trap + Arc. Auras to run are Herald of Thunder and Grace, add in Clarity after getting Charisma.

6. Gameplay

Throw a trap into a pack, then cull with Arc. Keep your focus on packs, Herald of Thunder's bolts will usually get rid of single spawning enemies on the way to the next pack. Try luring bosses into packs to make use of the chain madness Arc Multitrap unleashes against them.
Bossfights get substantially slowed down if there's no pack or adds to chain from, in that case try to lure them into your traps and fire Arc from distance or switch Light Pen/Ele Prolif with Remote Mine, take out Trap and kill the boss with mines.

In potentially dangerous situations pop Vaal Grace, and if the detractor is attack based also your Jade Flask. Elemental Reflect is not much of a problem, lay off the culling Arc if it's a really big reflect pack.

I haven't tried Atziri yet and am not really interested to do so, there's lots of designated builds to farm her easily.

Most mapmods work without a problem, here's what to do in the very few exceptions:

Elemental Reflect: Pretty easy, just pop your Eternal Flask after each pack. If you get it paired with -max res/Ele Weak, take out some damage or lay off selfcasting Arc completely.
No Mana Regen: It's possible with a Splendour, but you may get into problems vs. bosses. You also have to drop Arctic Armour and Clarity. I recommend to reroll the map.
Blood Magic: Can work with Life Leech on Herald of Thunder, but i recommend reroll the map.
Some funky combination of multiple damage mods: Switch Ele Weakness with Enfeeble and play carefully.

7. Videos

Gorge w/ 5L Agnerod
Twinned Courtyard Bosses w/ Cold Dmg, +Life and EE

More to come when i get something worth recording.

You can also check it out live at: twitch.tv/enki91poe

8. Screenshots

Arc Trap

Arc Cull

Herald of Thunder

Defenses

Defenses + Flasks

Thanks for reading my guide. Post questions and concerns in comments.
twitch.tv/enki91
Last edited by Enki91 on Jan 17, 2015, 1:17:45 PM
Thanks! I tried Arc curse proc but didn't really like it.
HoT usually curses the enemies while i throw my traps, which wouldn't be the case with manual Arc proc. On the other hand, against longer bossfights it can happen my curses and HoT expire, in that case manual proc would help.
Both has their advantages/disadvantages, since the majority of maps is pack clearing i prefer the HoT proc.
twitch.tv/enki91
Looks pretty slow clearspeed for a 6L.
I think agnerods is better in pvp than pve.
Ign: Ohjeahx
"
Ohjeah wrote:
Looks pretty slow clearspeed for a 6L.
I think agnerods is better in pvp than pve.

The video is with a 5L as mentioned in video description and/or right below the link.
My shitty laptop giving 10-15fps while recording didn't do any favor either.

I solo'd this char from 77-89 within ~12hrs playtime, which in my opinion is pretty fast for a noncrit build.
twitch.tv/enki91
"
Enki91 wrote:
I solo'd this char from 77-89 within ~12hrs playtime

Sure.
IGN: PipeBender
"
peilord wrote:
"
Enki91 wrote:
I solo'd this char from 77-89 within ~12hrs playtime

Sure.

Not like i streamed throughout the whole time and got the VOD's ;)
twitch.tv/enki91
Added a video of Courtyard bosses with some interesting mods.

Had not much time playing, but recently hit 90 and still without deaths. Will run this in the 1w race or maybe next HC temp, depending how much time i got playing the next weeks.
twitch.tv/enki91
saw the courtyard video and got sad u were self arcing instead of throwing traps.i always respect a traps /remote mine build.it seems from the video is just the trapper is not ur style.gl
"
gokulnath wrote:
saw the courtyard video and got sad u were self arcing instead of throwing traps.i always respect a traps /remote mine build.it seems from the video is just the trapper is not ur style.gl

It's for a good reason. Courtyard bosses tend to desync alot due to the cycloner, atleast for me. My traps could "miss", but the selfcast Arc is guaranteed to hit. Still starting off with throwing a trap into their direction most of the time though.

I can work on a vid of killing the boss entirely with Remote Mine, just need to gather some maps first.
twitch.tv/enki91
Hit 92 today, died once so far, at dual Palace Dominus - ironically when i didn't play solo.

Changed the endgame tree slightly to reach the flask nodes. Also trying out Enhance over Empower in 6l HoT for more global Light Dmg%, works pretty well so far but the missing ~1.1k dmg on HoT's top end per bolt is noticeable.

Can't wait for the 1w Race and next HC league to give this a go there!
twitch.tv/enki91

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info