Secondary/Off-hand slot usage for 2 Handed weapons

Hi,

i just had a great idea while starting a new character on my account fact is we all know 2handed weapons and their builds and underrated and underpowered compared generic builds, so i came up with a great idea to possibly fix this lack of power/investment/survivability along the game if you like me so wish to play and make a 2h weapon build.

My idea is using the secondary weapon/Off hand slot like bows the item would be a Guard/case/bag/ holster type item where swords, axes, maces are kept while a warrior isn't in battle, to be more clear here's a few images from google to show everyone what i mean:

Swords:
http://www.unitedmask.com/armor/images/king_sword_sheath.JPG

Axes:
http://www.wolfandhammer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Leather-Axe-Frog-Black-Fixed-1.jpg

Maces:
Couldn't find a quick img on google, but it's basically a leather or metal strap/ hook type role around the hold in a diagonal or straight trough the mace depending on where it is in the body.

Staffs:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_dJr64K8pv0/UhyMBi4mN6I/AAAAAAAADDA/_xfjMWfjB10/s1600/nickelodeonD4.jpg

The point of these items is to offer the stats that these characteristic weapons desperately need, such as accuracy elemental dmg (for weapons like oro's sacrifice elemental 2h staffs/aces for example) health/ res/ Armour basically an array of dif attributes to complete your character.

Please comment and feedback :)
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
This actually wouldn't be too bad. I support this.
Having a small buff to your 2 handed weapon build is definitely necessary IMO, since they often lack defenisveness.
Shouldn't be as strong as quivers, tho. Just some minor buffs.
agreed.

if you think about it, just defensive stats like health/armour /res would be enough this way you could go more offensive on your skill tree, and vice versa, offensive secondary, defensive tree.
i would support anything that helps even by a minimal amount the viability of 2h weapons.

+1
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
LOL that idea is suprisingly awsome :D usually those new item suggestions suck ^^
ign: ALLRAUDER
I would agree with this.. I always wondered why Bows got huge phys bonuses much like 2 Handed melee weapons but also got the ability to carry a Quiver that further adds to the stats and even opens up new build possibilities AND, the ability to stay at range, away from damage..... As it stands, the 2H play style is just a huge mistake on the players part, especially HC and no weapon archetype should ever be non viable in any mode of play. Hopefully in 1.3 we see some proper changes and some 2 Handed love.
Something done like this could be very mild, far less than a shield, and yet still be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Since shields are a major alternative, and 2 handed weapons have some obvious advantages over regular weapons, this slot would inversely need to have obvious disadvantages as compared to say a shield...

Done right, as in very mild, and it would be a very welcome addition.
I like this idea, but instead of three separate sheathes for Swords, Axes, and Maces, what if we just had some sort of studded arm wrap that would look like it's used for striking? We obviously don't have much say in stats, but the look is important, and we CAN influence that. Sheathes are simply boring, and I'd be remiss if I hadn't said anything that could prevent such an unexciting update.

Bows have quivers, those support the attack of the bow.

Two-handed weapons have lightweight striking implements, those support the attack of the weapon.

I see a theme we could set to make it easier to make design choices like this for other companies in the future, because sheathes are quite frankly lame and featureless. I always carry my two-handed sword on my shoulder anyways.

The skill shield bash, which I have faith will some day be added, could also make use of the small bundle of malice to allow two-handed users to use it. We could set the groundwork for bitchin' builds in the future right here, but not if we end up with sheathes.
Last edited by Sofunk on Nov 26, 2014, 12:47:15 PM
"
Sofunk wrote:
I like this idea, but instead of three separate sheathes for Swords, Axes, and Maces, what if we just had some sort of studded arm wrap that could be used for striking (obviously I'm only speaking about appearance, not practice)?

Two-handed weapons have lightweight striking implements, those support the attack of the weapon.

I see a theme we could set to make it easier to make design choices like this for other companies in the future, because sheathes are quite frankly lame and featureless. I always carry my two-handed sword on my shoulder anyways.

The skill shield bash, which I have faith will some day be added, could also make use of the small bundle of malice to allow two-handed users to also use it. We could set the groundwork for bitchin' builds in the future right here, but not if we end up with sheathes.

I'm not sure I'd be for this if its main function is to improves the attack. 2handed weapons should already be damage superior. The main drawback should be the lack of a shield. You can directly buff the 2hander if it was actually needed damage wise. What you don't really feel comfortable doing is putting shield like affixes on 2 handed weapons cause it feels funny. So creating something else to hold them, a mild shield like slot, has a practical application. Of course, this is also mostly needed because of being in melee range.

Bows have quivers, but then bows aren't actually as high dps number wise as 2 handed melee weapons.

I've also said this one before. I'd make 2h weapons not spectral-throw-able.

"
"
Sofunk wrote:
I like this idea, but instead of three separate sheathes for Swords, Axes, and Maces, what if we just had some sort of studded arm wrap that could be used for striking (obviously I'm only speaking about appearance, not practice)?

The skill shield bash, which I have faith will some day be added, could also make use of the small bundle of malice to allow two-handed users to also use it. We could set the groundwork for bitchin' builds in the future right here, but not if we end up with sheathes.

I'm not sure I'd be for this if its main function is to improves the attack. 2handed weapons should already be damage superior. The main drawback should be the lack of a shield. You can directly buff the 2hander if it was actually needed damage wise. What you don't really feel comfortable doing is putting shield like affixes on 2 handed weapons cause it feels funny. So creating something else to hold them, a mild shield like slot, has a practical application. Of course, this is also mostly needed because of being in melee range.

Bows have quivers, but then bows aren't actually as high dps number wise as 2 handed melee weapons.

I've also said this one before. I'd make 2h weapons not spectral-throw-able.

You're missing my point. We have no influence on the stats. What matters is the look, so we need to pitch a stat neutral design idea that GGG can run with, and sheathes are boring.

I read every single word you typed up. I'm with you on this idea, so why not pay me the same courtesy?
Last edited by Sofunk on Nov 26, 2014, 12:52:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info