I'm starting to question my RNG...

Together with some mates we tried to figure how many hours we actually played in PoE. With all chars on both accounts I brought to the endgame content (multiple 75-85 chars, a couple of 90s) I got around 2,000 hours. In that time I dropped:
- less than 10 x 5-links (including crafting);
- not a single 6-link (including crafting);
- 4 exalted orbs (not a single one in the last 4 months of playing and that despite a large number of hours put into farming);
- 7 divine orbs;
- not a single eternal orb;
- 2 or 3 items worth 1 exalted orb;
- only 1 item worth over 1 exalted orb (dropped in Domination!).

Are there people who are less lucky in this game?
[2.4] Riff Raff - under 1ex Reave RT DoT Gladiator: http://poeurl.com/C6q
What you're describing sounds like fairly typical RNG to me
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GaussianFunction.html

this function shows "luck" distribution among players. on the very left there are couple of extremely unlucky players, on the right those extremely lucky, whilst mojority of players with average luck (slightly lucky, slightly unlucky) being in the middle

but noone can tell you whather you are in the left or right half, because we dont know what the average is.. You are probebly somewhere in the middle

edit: my stats are similar to yours, maybe slightly better, but I think Ive played more than you.
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Oct 31, 2014, 11:24:18 AM
I've gotta say that's pretty bad RNG, but not amazingly bad. I've got two 85+ toons with several 60-70 (probably 400 hours in total) and have dropped one 6 link Maraketh bow, perhaps 10 5-links and several multi-exalt drops with Crown of Eyes being the best drop I've had and I'm no power player.

To make up for it I had the worst ever map drop RNG in the first few weeks of Rampage, I was facerolling 74 maps but my drops were so bad I couldn't even get anything over 70, I was doing 66-69 maps even though I could easily take on 75,s because they simply DID NOT DROP!

Long story short I spent about an exalt's worth of currency on a 73-75 map pack from a friendly guy and now my 'Map' stash tab is overfilling with 74's, I've often recipe-d them to get more 75-76s and I've got over 10 Shipyards and Shrines ready to roll!

For me the best way to get currency and help out my crappy RNG was to make up and trade Sacrifice sets, but that's a bit of a lost cause lately with basic fragment prices going a bit mental...
D1 - PvM D2 - PvM/PvP D3 - MvM (Money vs Monster)
"
karaknic wrote:
I've gotta say that's pretty bad RNG, but not amazingly bad. I've got two 85+ toons with several 60-70 (probably 400 hours in total) and have dropped one 6 link Maraketh bow, perhaps 10 5-links and several multi-exalt drops with Crown of Eyes being the best drop I've had and I'm no power player.

how do you know? From my point of view you are being very lucky.. How do I know? I dont:)
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"
Weißenberg wrote:
Together with some mates we tried to figure how many hours we actually played in PoE. With all chars on both accounts I brought to the endgame content (multiple 75-85 chars, a couple of 90s) I got around 2,000 hours. In that time I dropped:
- 4 exalted orbs (not a single one in the last 4 months of playing and that despite a large number of hours put into farming);
- 7 divine orbs;

I have 1400 hours with the steam version of poe + another couple of houndreds of hours using the normal poe version before steam version existed i would guess they equal about 2000 hours in total much like your game time. Played since beta version.

#I've found about the same number of 5-links. Perhaps a few more.
#Not a single 6-link here too.
#A few more exalts than you. I think i have found 6-7. Lost track after a while.
#Less than 7 divines i'm pretty sure of this.
#1 or two eternals. I remember one dropping definitely not more than 2.
#Items worth over 1 exalted: Here i have been much more lucky than you. I have found a kaom's heart in a shipyard map i sold for 20+ exalts. A ming's heart ring in a colonnade map i sold for 20+ exalts. A void battery wand i sold for god knows what. And a ton of items worth between 2-20 exalts. This is the area i think you are extremely unlucky with. I almost cannot believe your bad luck here.

Overall i think you are about average when it comes to fluke. Just bad luck finding good drops.

Last edited by kompaniet on Oct 31, 2014, 12:11:35 PM
"
Weißenberg wrote:
- 7 divine orbs;

To put this in perspective, I've also played somewhere around the 2000 hour mark (probably a bit more), and nearly all of that has been running maps or farming dominus at 400 IIR / 100 IIQ. I have somewhere around 10,000 Dominus kills at that MF level.

I've found 10-15 5-links (but I play standard where they're worth almost nothing)
I've never found or made a 6L apart from Tabula Rasa
I've found a few more exalts... somewhere around 8-10
I've found fewer Divines (4)
No eternals/mirrors
LOTS of ~1 ex items/uniques (a few dozen easily); almost all were drops off Dominus
A small handful of items worth more than 1 ex:
> 1x Soul Taker (sold 50 ex)
> 1x BoR just before the nerf (sold 20 ex post-nerf)
> 1x Binos (sold 18 ex)
> A few rares that sold in the 2-5 ex range; never found a rare worth more than 5 ex

Of those, the only non-dominus drops were the BoR and a pair of well rolled tri-res/life/move speed boots that I sold for 4 ex back in Domination.

I also got a lucky +1 curse corrupt Stone of Lazhwar just after SotV hit which sold for 20 ex

But remember, that's all with about 10k runs at almost top MF levels of Dominus, which is mind-numbingly boring and time consuming since I did it solo.
Last edited by tackle70 on Oct 31, 2014, 12:31:23 PM
"
Weißenberg wrote:
- 7 divine orbs;

Play the temp leagues , there you can make fortune be it via trading or drops in general .
R.I.P 4.B.
I have played about 600 hours

I've found 2 white 6L as drops, one sold, one alch/chaos crafted that I wear now

I've found 6 drillnecks which has significantly funded my exploits, probably 85% of my entire wealth is from those, all sold for 10-12 ex

I've found one rainbowstride which I sold

I'm currently very poor because I spend them liberally on regrets for skill tweaks and GCPing my gems xD

I only play one character, 88 marauder in a mostly self found and self designed (shitty) build that I can't get enough of playing

I have spent a good 85% of my play time derping in 73-76 maps, 95% of which I buy because even though I have decent luck at good gear drops I can't get a 73+ map to drop in a 100+ iiq 75 map. I get grottos in 75 maps like finding water in a river, probably gotten 500+ grotto drops, never had a 75/76 drop, very few 73/74 drops, can count them on one hand. RNG is a strange beast in this game.
Last edited by Astealoth on Oct 31, 2014, 3:17:50 PM
"
Astealoth wrote:
I have played about 600 hours

I've found 2 white 6L as drops, one sold, one alch/chaos crafted that I wear now

I've found 6 drillnecks which has significantly funded my exploits, probably 85% of my entire wealth is from those, all sold for 10-12 ex

I've found one rainbowstride which I sold

I'm currently very poor because I spend them liberally on regrets for skill tweaks and GCPing my gems xD

I only play one character, 88 marauder in a mostly self found and self designed (shitty) build that I can't get enough of playing

I have spent a good 85% of my play time derping in 73-76 maps, 95% of which I buy because even though I have decent luck at good gear drops I can't get a 73+ map to drop in a 100+ iiq 75 map. I get grottos in 75 maps like finding water in a river, probably gotten 500+ grotto drops, never had a 75/76 drop, very few 73/74 drops, can count them on one hand. RNG is a strange beast in this game.

Those are insanely good item drops for 600 hours of playtime. 1 Drillneck per hundred hours of playtime? Wow.
Last edited by tackle70 on Oct 31, 2014, 3:22:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info