Immortal Call, triggers too late?

I have immortal call linked to:
increased duration
enduring cry
CWDT (triggers on ~700hp, I have ~5k total)

There are no elemental map mods that increase damage (like +cold damage)

But when a pack of ~7 bone rhoa's (no elemental dmg mods) charge me I die (or near-die)... I don't get it. It should trigger IC and make me immune after the first one hits me right? Why don't they?

It's rare but it happens like a few times a day or so. Same for other chargers. But ONLY happens when they all hit me at pretty much the same time. Some hidden delay? Or is enduring cry the problem?
"
silverdash wrote:

CWDT (triggers on ~700hp, I have ~5k total)

I'd recommend levelling up CWDT (and the other gems) to maximum.
You don't need IC when 700 damage is taken. ;)

"

But when a pack of ~7 bone rhoa's (no elemental dmg mods) charge me I die (or near-die)... I don't get it. It should trigger IC and make me immune after the first one hits me right? Why don't they?

It's rare but it happens like a few times a day or so. Same for other chargers. But ONLY happens when they all hit me at pretty much the same time. Some hidden delay? Or is enduring cry the problem?

Sometimes in PoE, crazy stuff happens. Stuff doesn' work, stuff triggers too late...
EC is a "problem" because it has a cooldown. Other than that, no. It should work as intended.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
My idea was to trigger it at ~700hp in case also some elemental damage is involved. I'm SRS so the ic-duration is usually MORE than long enough (1-3 seconds).
Because if you get charged and your cwdt triggers at 4k hp and the mob has elemental damage then you'll still die. Or if you only had 3k hp left (hit by another mob first in that same split second).
But at 700hp you will survive (unless the total damage of that single hit is over 5k). Therefor I believe that leveling CWDT to level 20 = suicide unless you are a mega tank.

But it's kinda bad that I can't rely on it to face-tank chargers then... Currently I always hit the instant-heal-pot + granite flask when I get charged by a group (manually dodging is often too risky with desynchs). But still they sometimes get through the granite, my 5k hp, AND the '~700 hp cwdt-trigger+ic'...

I guess that this is a bug then and that it can't be helped :(
Just going to quote the wiki to explain what's causing your problems:
"
Cooldown: Cast when Damage Taken has a cooldown of 250ms, or the linked skill's cooldown, whichever is longer. Each linked spell has its own cooldown and internal damage counter. The damage counter will not increase while the spell is cooling down. This can cause skills intended to be simultaneous to get out of sync (e.g. Immortal Call will keep counting damage while Enduring Cry is on cooldown, so they will end up going off at different times).

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Cast_when_Damage_Taken
twitch.tv/enki91
So CWDT cannot trigger again within 250ms. Not really important if the IC lasts like 1-3 seconds imo.

And yes I did notice that enduring cry sometimes triggers AFTER the IC triggered. This is probably explained by your quote. Not a real problem for me either.

But it still doesn't explain why I sometimes see IC triggering but still take WAY over 700 physical damage in a split second from multiple chargers.

When looking up Immortal Call it says that it has a cast time of "0.85 secs". I assumed that when using a CWDT that this cast time was eliminated. Otherwise that would explain it.

Yes I tried Googling the CWDT/IC but many forum posts are outdated or even years old. I can't rely on that info.
Probably already covered but do you have it linked in the correct order? CWDT --> EC --> IC? the order they are links effects the order they are cast.
"
silverdash wrote:
Not really important if the IC lasts like 1-3 seconds imo.
You appear to have your only Enduring Cry & Immortal Call gems supported by the same CwDT support. This means each of them has the same damage threshold for when they'll cast.
However, Enduring Cry has a cooldown, while Immortal Call does not (or rather, only has a substantially shorter one than enduring cry).
While a skill is on cooldown, that skill cannot count damage towards the threshold. So when you first take 780 damage, your Enduring Cry and Immortal Call will both trigger (in that order) as each of them will fill their damage threshold at the same time. Then Enduring Cry goes on it's cooldown. While Enduring Cry is on cooldown but Immortal Call isn't, damage you take will be seen and counted by Immortal Call but not by Enduring Cry - thus Immortal Call will have accumulated a higher total damage taken towards the next trigger if you're hit during this period. If you later take enough damage to bring Immortal Call to it's threshold but not Enduring Cry, Immortal Call will cast without you having endurance charges and last only for the base duration (0.37 seconds give or take, including your increased duration gem), which will not provide you much protection.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Oct 27, 2014, 5:11:53 PM
Thanks for the detailed information. Now I understand and now I also understand Enki91's post.

So because the duration is so extremely short (because EC may have a different counter) it looks as if I'm protected by IC. But in reality it already expired before the next chargers hit me in that same split second. Giving me a false sense of security.

So it probably roughly went down like this:
1. EC/IC get out of synch at some point
2. I get charged for 1500 damage. IC procs for about 0.4 sec but enduring doesn't.
3. 0.4 sec later I get hit again by another charger for another 1500 damage and IC procs again (with or w/o EC)
4. I now lost 3000hp in less than 1 second but I got IC up.

Now if a charger has damage/crit mods and a group of ~6 of 'em charge me at the same time + a slight desynch, that could account for ~5k physical damage while it looks as if IC was up all the time while in fact it wasn't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have to take out the CWDT and put it back into the armor again to reset it I suppose. Or run 2 or more separate CWDT's.

Man this game sure is complex. And you nearly gotta know every single mechanic for the hardcore leagues to guarantee survival. All this time I wasn't safe at all, I was just lucky...

Linking order
Spoiler

"
Probably already covered but do you have it linked in the correct order? CWDT --> EC --> IC? the order they are links effects the order they are cast.

EC--Duration
|
|
IC--CWDT

So it should be correct (starts in topleft corner). It starts at EC, then IC, and that's it.
Last edited by silverdash on Oct 27, 2014, 6:46:13 PM
CWDT should be in the top left

http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/1pbgje/cast_on_damage_taken_will_cast_skills_in_order/

Last edited by iamsamsara on Oct 27, 2014, 10:40:18 PM
The problem come from the way the damage are calculated. Mark explained it in one thread but i don't remember the one, and i didn't see any post saying the contrary since, so i think it's always the way it works :

To counter a little the desync all damage are calculated at the beginning of the attack taking into account all bonus of the attacker at that time and all the bonus of the defender at that time. If some bonus change between the beginning of the attack and the moment it lands on the defender the changes are not counted.

The perfect exemple is rhoas charges. If one rhoa charges you and activate you IC, all rhoas that charges you after IC procs will do no damage, BUT if all rhoas start charging without IC active, the first will activate IC (if on CWDT) but the others will ignore it since they started their attack before the proc.

In the same way, drinking a granite flask after Vaal has started his smash is useless.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info