[1.2.x] Storm Shot; Pure Lightning TS (Challenge Build w/ Storm Cloud Unique Bow)

If I were to run Split, I would run it with chain or pierce - even if it was a DPS gain to ditch a gem and run the proj curse, I hate cursing and generally only curse bosses and extra health rares. I couldn't stand to curse every single last pack just to be able to pierce through them. Bleh.

So that said, if I'm not gaining an extra gem, I'm going to side with Tornado Shot here.

With LMP Tornado Shot, it's quite easy to hit most things twice. Once going in with 100% pierce and then of the nine projectiles after, most things get hit once again. In small/medium packs, most things get hit twice. It's like an EK style "shoot a bunch of shit out that doesn't pierce and most things get hit anyways". Of course, in a large pack, I might need to shoot a couple times since those nine projectiles can get eaten up fast if there are a lot of things to kill. GMP or an extra arrow or two from corruption would help with that, of course, and would even further the # of times most things are hit. But LMP is such good single target, as you pointed out, that I find it makes up for it in killing rares, exiles and bosses.

The 109% multiplier vs. 80% on split is pretty crazy if you think about it. LMP does lower the damage of course - but so does Chain; the gem I'd be using. Piece, while very nice in the fact that it has a low multiplier and no reduced damage, causes Split's tooltip to be the actual damage; it CAN'T hit more than once. That is huge! It's already a low multiplier, and then you can't chain or shotgun or anything with it? That's a huge drawback. Tornado Shot's tooltip is almost always double into a pack and even higher on single target where you can hit even more than twice. And again, that is with a higher base and 100% pierce on the initial shot on top of that.

If I were to just fire through a pack and nothing got hit by the extra projectiles (very unlikely) that's basically the same damage as Split right there.

Edit: Just tried swapping around gems. Torando+LMP is only about 5% or so less tooltip than Split+Pierce.

Split Arrow only has - in my opinion - ONE advantage. It is easier to off-screen with. That is nice and all, but I like to see what I'm fighting, personally, and I'm running Herald of Thunder with a lot of shocking; that damage is wasted if I don't fight on-screen.

I certainly don't fault you for loving split arrow or wanting to use it. It's got a way different feel to it and it's not at all a bad skill. But I'm not going to use it.
Last edited by Yordle on Oct 26, 2014, 12:15:56 AM
thats why you...curse on hit with a secondary skill...so you're not casting anything, like i said.

anyway, you have your mind made up so no point in debating it. enjoy your challenge
Oh lord, I never planned to self-cast a curse!!! It was always going to be in my 5L bow. I was using Curse on Hit before it was even 100% chance - I can't stand self-cast cursing.

It's still an extra thing to do before you can start killing them, though. I'd rather not shoot a split arrow + curse on hit out that hits like a wet noodle into every single group and THEN use my main split arrow.
Well, I did this:

It was a really good deal and very high rolls. This "Challenge" may just turn into an actual Voltaxic build instead.

I'm not sure if I'll swap to it ASAP or see how far I can push Storm Cloud.
I've decided that this build is working so well for me that I wanted to make a true build guide for it and turn it into a Voltaxic Rift build - but with a budget version featuring a Storm Cloud.

If you want to see that, here's the thread:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1096864
I'm using Storm Cloud on 51lvl right now and it is OP, not beacuse lightning damage :) Beacuse +48% att speed. There's no need to use psychical damage, even without psychical damage only +48% att speed modifer is sooo powerfull. Just give add lightning/cold damage gems, and eq stuff (rings and gloves etc) that have "add elemental x%" or giving elemental damage. I'm suprised how strong it is now, gonna test it futher!
Last edited by Chris_Dumle on Sep 28, 2015, 11:22:03 PM
Best necro ever...
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info