Game crash every now and then. "Darn Not Solved"

the MapViewOfFile error is a memory error... it's having trouble allocating the required amount of memory for PoE for some reason.

Usually this is because of a 32-bit OS, or less than 4GB of installed (accessible) RAM.

The only real way to get around that problem is to upgrade to a 64-bit OS and/or increase RAM to at least 4GB. The other "work-arounds" are to set the texture_quality to 3 or 4, set --nosound, and set -gc 2 on the shortcut/launch options.

The "work-arounds" will only stall the problem for a little while, but if you don't restart PoE often, it's likely to still pop up if you don't have the required RAM or OS version.
"
Michael_GGG wrote:
Hi GrumpyBear,

For these sorts of error messages it's probably a lack of memory that is the issue. Using the -gc2 launch parameter should help reduce the crash frequency but may not remove it completely.

As stated in my original post, I am using the -gc2 with the --softwareaudio launch parameters, the system is a 32 bit Windows 7 Ultimate with 4 GB Ram 2.97 GB Usable.

Unfortunately as I have other work (Things we do to PAY for POE MTX items oh and the bills) related program that require a 32 bit environment, so I won't be able to upgrade to a 64 bit OS.

So it looks like I'm stuck.....Darn.

Nonetheless thanks for all your help ☺☻☺
To Die Is Not An Option, To Fight Until DIESync Is The Only Answer. ☺☻☺

Happy Hunting Exiles.
-gc2 doesn't work. it HAS to be like I typed it.. with a space.. -gc 2

Edit: on a side note, what are you using for work that requires 32-bit? There are very few things I've encountered that force 32-bit, and most of then are due to old hardware that never properly got 64-bit support. Why are you also using a work machine for PoE (or a home machine for work)? You can also dual-boot windows systems for both versions.
Last edited by Drakier on Nov 6, 2014, 9:56:55 AM
"
Drakier wrote:
-gc2 doesn't work. it HAS to be like I typed it.. with a space.. -gc 2

Edit: on a side note, what are you using for work that requires 32-bit? There are very few things I've encountered that force 32-bit, and most of then are due to old hardware that never properly got 64-bit support. Why are you also using a work machine for PoE (or a home machine for work)? You can also dual-boot windows systems for both versions.

Was wondering about the space or no space, yes mine has the space between gc and 2. Thx for the headsup though. I might of spotted an error I'm doing, is it 1 dash or 2? -gc 2 or --gc 2?

I'm a field service engineer that goes out to sites and works on very old equipment that requires very old software. I tried running a VMWare system so I could have a 64 Bit machine as well, but that was a flop as the VMware eventually chewed up to much resources.

When you work for yourself you make do with the Notebook/PC you have. Hence I use it for both.

Must give the dual boot some though in that case.
To Die Is Not An Option, To Fight Until DIESync Is The Only Answer. ☺☻☺

Happy Hunting Exiles.
it is a single dash as I posted it (and as in the thread that was linked of all the command-line options.

As for your PC situation, I had a feeling that might be the case which is why I asked. VMs aren't really good for gaming and I'm not sure how well the work stuff would do in a VM.. but dual-boot are completely independent instances of windows.

It usually helps to dual boot to separate drives if you can to keep everything segregated.. otherwise the program files and other folders besides Windows are shared.
Depending on how old the software is, you might be able to use the 64bit os and run the crap in dosbox. Otherwise, dualbooting is definately your best option. This game pretty much doesnt work on 32bit windows anymore (as you found out)

Its curious though that it doesnt work in a 64bit OS, the only situation I can think of that would do that is if you are using some extremely old drivers for the hardware you need to interact with. Most 32bit software is supported just fine in 64bit windows now. They learned a lot from linux multilib.
HAIL SATAN!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info