Game crash every now and then. "Darn Not Solved"

Hi,

I am using the "C:\xxx\Games\Path of Exile\Client.exe" -gc 2 --softwareaudio switches but the game still crashes when loading zones. Now it has started to crash even when I Alt Tab to windows since the patch.

I have had this problem all along and the switches sort of helped but it is getting worse now.

Yes I have defragged and done all the usual checks. I do find when I defrag the hard disk as well it helps for an hour or so of gameplay then starts again.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Edit:

Please note that this is on a HP Notebook "EliteBook 8570p"

Edit:

Added screen shot of error.
To Die Is Not An Option, To Fight Until DIESync Is The Only Answer. ☺☻☺

Happy Hunting Exiles.
Last edited by GrumpyBear5043 on Nov 6, 2014, 12:10:58 AM
You could try clearing up some harddrive space and adding the '--nosound' parameter.

If that doesn't help, feel free to post a DxDiag so fellow users can diagnose your system.
Need Support? support@grindinggear.com.
OKEY, so that seems to work the --nosound switch/parameter.

Now how do I get my sound back? As playing the game without sound is just NOT on.
Its like having cake without the cream, they just don't work without each other.

Yes I have the latest sound card drivers install with is an Advanced Micro Devices, IDT High Definition Audio card on a HP NoteBook with 4 GB Ram Windows 7 32 bit machine.

Unfortunately this machine can't be upgraded to a 64 Bit OS due to work software not working in a 64 Bit environment.

So where too NOW?

Happy Hunting Exiles.
what is the crash error?
"
Yes I have the latest sound card drivers install with is an Advanced Micro Devices, IDT High Definition Audio card on a HP NoteBook with 4 GB Ram Windows 7 32 bit machine.

Would you mind posting the version number? I seem to have the same audio card and manufacturer but I've had difficulties finding a newer driver. Though windows said it's already up to date, it was actually not.

My version is 6.10.6493.0 btw.
Great PoE utilities!
Aura Calculator: https://poe.mikelat.com/
Vorici Chromatic Calculator: http://siveran.github.io/calc.html
One-shot calculator: https://goo.gl/IJhYDx
"
didii wrote:
"

Would you mind posting the version number? I seem to have the same audio card and manufacturer but I've had difficulties finding a newer driver. Though windows said it's already up to date, it was actually not.

My version is 6.10.6493.0 btw.

First off, sorry for the late reply, but was still checking and testing my system to ensure the problem was solved. Since I made the changes below I haven't had anymore crashes.

I had to increase the value suggested by Yeran as follows

"You can try turning this down even further by manually editing the production_Config.ini file. You can find this file in your Documents/My Games/Path of Exile folder. If you find the line texture_quality=1 and change the number to 2 or higher, you'll reduce the texture quality even further"

The loss in texture quality is so unnoticeable that it really doesn't matter in the long run.

since doing this together with keeping the --softwareaudio parameter at the end of my client.exe has done the trick.

Proceeding all this I went to the HP website, downloaded all the audio drivers and forced them to install. After this I went to the AMD website and downloaded the latest Catalyst drivers and installed them as well, as the sound card is made by AMD I eventually found out.

My current audio driver version is 7.12.0.7719.

Hope this assist you out didii and thanks goes to Yeran for his help and support.

Happy Hunting Exiles.
"
[...]

Proceeding all this I went to the HP website, downloaded all the audio drivers and forced them to install. After this I went to the AMD website and downloaded the latest Catalyst drivers and installed them as well, as the sound card is made by AMD I eventually found out.

Hope this assist you out didii and thanks goes to Yeran for his help and support.

Thanks for the PM. Problem is that HP does not update the drivers on their site. The drivers listed are now approx. 3 years old. The Catalyst drivers from AMD do not want to install (and if they do, as in the latest version, it resulted in an immediate BSOD), probably because I have switchable graphics.

I managed to update my graphics card using the drivers from leshcatlabs which did install correctly. I didn't experience any crashes since then.

Could it be you have listed the AMD High Definition Audio Device driver rather than the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC driver version number?

Thanks for the help.
Great PoE utilities!
Aura Calculator: https://poe.mikelat.com/
Vorici Chromatic Calculator: http://siveran.github.io/calc.html
One-shot calculator: https://goo.gl/IJhYDx
"
didii wrote:
"
[...]

Thanks for the PM. Problem is that HP does not update the drivers on their site. The drivers listed are now approx. 3 years old. The Catalyst drivers from AMD do not want to install (and if they do, as in the latest version, it resulted in an immediate BSOD), probably because I have switchable graphics.

I managed to update my graphics card using the drivers from leshcatlabs which did install correctly. I didn't experience any crashes since then.

Could it be you have listed the AMD High Definition Audio Device driver rather than the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC driver version number?

Thanks for the help.

Yes its the AMD High Definition Audio Device driver, as it was the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC driver to start with, but after using HP to download the latest driver it changed it to the AMD ones then the Catalyst pack installed over that.

I just checked my device manager tab and have noticed that both are installed,
The top one is AMD High Definition Audio Device driver version 7.12.0.7719 and below that is the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC driver version 6.10.6435.0 both used to be IDT High Definition Audio CODEC until I installed the Catalyst drivers.

Happy Hunting Exiles.
Darn Started crashing again with the following error as usual.

So the problem has not been resolved.

What would be the best setting within the Option screen for graphics setup.
That is for Shadows, texture quality etc?

Have changed my texture_quality=1 and change the number to 3 but it still crashes and the graphics is starting to look very plain indeed.

Happy Hunting Exiles.
Hi GrumpyBear,

For these sorts of error messages it's probably a lack of memory that is the issue. Using the -gc2 launch parameter should help reduce the crash frequency but may not remove it completely.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info