[2.3] "Vulcan's Exemplar" Crit Dual Strike Slayer with Bino/Catalyst by fiqst

"
moosemilk wrote:
Hey wraithe, why did you take the leveling trees down? I'm working on this build and it's been really fun so far. I'm just horrible at feeling out what I need to work on first.

Terribly sorry mate, it was a mistake in editing. Fixed now.
So many strikes within one breath.
But only one strike needed, for certain death.
Awesome! Thanks
In solo mapping, reflect is a non issue, but I did some 78 rotations today, and the phys reflect mobs were dangerous, but when IC procced it was no biggie. Ele reflect on the other hand was very dangerous. I just let the others deal with that.
But again, in solo play, reflect is not that much of a problem. The first map I did after getting the items for the build was a Vulnerabilty+Phys reflect map, and then an ele reflect map afterwards. Both were doable, but running into a reflect mob inside the map straight up oneshot me. Did a 2nd ele reflect map later and I just turned off Hatred and HoT as well as replacing Phys to light with PCoC. Slower clear speed, but the reflect is compltely negligable.

Still missing the amulet and ring, but I did acquire something else today after I had exited the game and checked the forums before going to sleep. Went to the selling section to see if there were any good deals and got this:
Spoiler

And the price? 145 exalts! So cheap it's unbelievable. Very good thing I didn't get the Dragon Hunger dagger for the 195ex a few days ago. With that said, I'm running low on funds. Around 80ex left, but hopefully I can get something good out of the mirror.

One last thing. How often do you die? As I mentioned, I did some 78 rotas, and after 2 rounds of packsize + domination mod, I had gotten 10% xp. Then I died. I feel very squishy and have died multiple times in solo play as well. At 97, not dying is the thing you're looking for, and while I would like to aim for 98+, it's going to be a very long and expensive road if this keeps up.
Congrats on the dagger! I kinda wished AXN would divine 38% chance, but even as is its still the very best.

Soloing i have no problems, i use flicker every second attack so IC is activated very often, and I keep a keen eye on ele reflect and a ready finger on the topaz flask, but even that isn't much problem.

When i group, i only have issues with ele reflect, and only when i misstime flasks. I prefer to be a dps player at the front so i can see what is coming and be ready for reflect, i don't like the confusion when everyone is on the screen, and i find those moments risky.

I don't plan to level so I don't do rotations, I either spend time testing out stuff or do Atziri, so death is normal from time to time.
I've close to given up leveling on the lvl 97 char. I simply die to too many things. Not sure what to do atm. I love the dps and how the build plays, and that you can swap Dual Strike and Flicker Strike gems, and you can play as Flicker if you get bored, but dying all the time is making me sad.
"
I've close to given up leveling on the lvl 97 char. I simply die to too many things. Not sure what to do atm. I love the dps and how the build plays, and that you can swap Dual Strike and Flicker Strike gems, and you can play as Flicker if you get bored, but dying all the time is making me sad.

Its a shame this build isn't as safe as a ranged build or a max-block tank. But that's the price we pay, just like any high powered melee build, the miss-timed pot, a flameblast escape one second too late, a toe-to-toe against palace dominus. All these factors are ignored in a ranged build.

Junaum has a HC viable version if we want to level safely.

Flicker is actually a fun side-build. The Picard manoeuvre is still highly effective, you can flicker-IC the first hit and main attack flicker for a nice 4hit combo. Bino's is less effective since you're using a lot more frenzy's but the clear speed is great.
Hey Exiled_wanderer, don't give up on the build.

I am, like yourself, a safe-gameplay based player. I don't like dying and so, I've made some fine tuning on the tree and gameplay to achieve a safer way of life at wraeclast.

This is my current build at level 89.

You'll probably use something like this at level 97.

I mostly use hatred, but Grace becomes handy at some harder maps (of for chaotic parties sometimes). 5.1k hp.

Last edited by junaum on Dec 24, 2014, 9:36:17 PM
I took a look at the higher hp tree. I was thinking of doing something like this instead. Shadow start because that's what my character is. Going the short route to the ranger area to save nodes, as well as not getting the evasion/life nodes in favor of more crit chance by the scion area.

With the mirrored dagger's 10% base crit, you need 850% crit chance to hit the cap. This tree gives 410%. Then there's 80% from the dagger, 35% from Doryani's, 34% from Acuity, 37% from my amulet, 200% from 4 power charges and 60% from 2 diamond rings. That's a total of 856%. That's just enough with all of the charges. Ofcourse the Doryani's won't come close, so I don't know how necesarry it even is to get capped on the dagger.

What's your dps with Grace instead of Hatred?

On a happier node, the mirror finaly turned into something. The best amulet for the build is Vengeance Collar. It has both a life and a leech version that fits the build, but it's got a 60ex fee. I sold the mirror for an MF ring which I then sold for 200ex 3 days later, and just as I did, an already mirrored copy of the amulet appeared on poe.xyz for 200ex, so I basicly got the amulet without having to pay the big fee.
Spoiler

The 6% extra life leech close to nullifies the Acuity nerf, but 60% effect seems to be enough anyway, so maybe the life version is better.

Edit: How important is movespeed really on boots? With Whirling Blades and Flicker, it doesn't feel like we'd need to actually run very fast, so it wouldn't be that bad to drop the mod and instead get a very nice pair of boots much cheaper.
Last edited by Exiled_Wanderer on Dec 25, 2014, 1:27:43 AM
Your tree seems very much optimal for Shadow. Found interesting that you skip Aspect of the Panther cluster - I might do that as well (doing some calcs here).

My current dps isn't much of a reference because I vendored all my level 20 gems for quality recipe (lol, hard times). But basically, Grace means 15%/20% dps loss and 50% total evasion. Being both green gems, you can easily test this with your own gear for a precise report. Biggest loss when dropping Hatred are those mob micro freezing.

Btw, I completely neglect move speed due to heavy usage of whirling blades.

Last edited by junaum on Dec 25, 2014, 11:49:10 AM
"

With the mirrored dagger's 10% base crit, you need 850% crit chance to hit the cap. This tree gives 410%. Then there's 80% from the dagger, 35% from Doryani's, 34% from Acuity, 37% from my amulet, 200% from 4 power charges and 60% from 2 diamond rings. That's a total of 856%. That's just enough with all of the charges. Ofcourse the Doryani's won't come close, so I don't know how necesarry it even is to get capped on the dagger.

Don't forget that 20Q Dual Strike gem has 80% crit strike chance, that's a lot.

Doryani's would be 6.68 + (6.68 * 856 / 100) = 63.86% Crit chance, far from cap.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info