[1.3.1] zSavage's EB RT Ele Aura Archer [Tornado Shot] - Bang for your buck!

Outline:

Archer character utilizing multiple auras to scale damage combined with high attack speed. Solid life pool. Very powerful for cost, and able to clear single targets and groups safely and fairly quickly. Only needs 2 x 4L to operate at the most basic level (one for auras and one for skill). Range enables further damage reduction through skillful movement and positioning. Finally, clever use of clones enables control over difficult bosses.

Core Skills

-> Tornado Shot Our primary skill. Does AoE and single target very well. For best effect, aim behind the target.

4L setup: Tornado Shot + faster attacks + GMP/LMP + weapon ele

5L setup: Above + pierce; this increases aoe effectiveness.
If you have a 6L you can add in life leech or life gain on hit. You can possibly swap in blood magic for pierce to be able to turn off clarity if you don't want to run arctic armor.

-> Auras:
Wrath: Adds lighting damage. We scale this with nodes, gear, gems, and attack speed.
Anger: Adds fire damage. Same reasons as above.
Clarity: If you run on 4L's, this is going to be your 3rd aura. The mana regen is needed to sustain our spray of arrows. I recommend capping this skill until you have a usable pool (mine is leveling).
Herald of Ice/Thunder: If you have room, you can run one or both of these auras for more damage.
I currently use Wrath, Anger, Clarity, Herald of Thunder, and Herald of Ice.

Haste: If you have at least one 5L, you could run this aura instead of clarity by running your skill off of life.

Make sure to link your auras to reduced mana, of course.

Note: I now run Alpha's Howl! When using an Alpha's you can run Wrath, Anger, Haste, a Herald (I prefer Thunder), and clarity.

-> Curse: I highly recommend elemetal weakness OR projectile weakness for this character. If you have gloves with curse on hit for either, that could be insane, but I just selfcast ele weakness when mobs are tough. You can also use Warlord's Mark or Poacher's Mark if you see fit.

I run Warlord's Mark in a Split Arrow + Chain curse on hit setup.

This lets me stun enemies quite often and provides life leech, which is very important against dangerous mobs and reflect packs.

And that's it! No other skills required.

Highly Recommended skills:
-> Arctic Armor: Once you're running Eldritch Battery, it's not hard to run this skill. Mine is currently level 9, and will be increasing as my mana regen goes up.

-> Blink Arrow/Mirrow Arrow:These skills enable us to create distractions/meatshields and have mobility at the same time. Their DPS is even quite decent.

I recommend running them in the same link setup, like this:

Tree, lvl 88

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAAx4Eswj0DH0NfA2ND6sQfxZvFr8XLxmKGjgajxzcHaofQSL0JKoksCaVJy8o-ipTLUctgy9vMok1kjwtQYdCo0V8RnFG11BCUzVVS1XWVylXyVfiWfNh4mKVZOdmnmpDbAttGXC7cYVyqXflfNl9dX_GgKSCHoKbgseDCYhCjDaQVZMnlwaXl5u1ogCsqrFCsnC0DLQ4tz6747zqvYLAGsBUwcXEosT2xp7GrtN-2L3ZE9sL4XPhiONq5RnquuwY7DjtIPAf8xH22vcy-ej60vsJ-_X-Cv66

This build uses two keystones, Resolute Technique and Eldritch Battery. I highly recommend this for a budget build.
With very good gear and/or a high level you could spec out of RT and get accuracy and crit instead, but it would be more difficult to deal with reflect.

Other than that we get life, mana, attack speed, elemental damage, and a ton of aura and buff effect nodes.

Gear

I now run Alpha's Howl, but you can run a helmet like the one listed.

Gearing is pretty straightforwards. Life and resists on gear pieces, with a fast attacking bow, is all you really need. Ele damage on bow is nice, as is a good quiver. You'll want % ele damage and flat added ele damage when you can get it. Mana and mana regen are also really nice if you want to use AA with your gear.

I recommend having a good ES chest with life to maximize your mana pool and enable running of high level clarity with high level arctic armor.

Stats

Offense

Tornado Shot
DPS: 11,853 tooltip ( x 6 max hits) = 71,118 Max (Typical is 5 hits or so at 59,265)
Chance to hit: 100%
Crit Chance: 0%

Defense

Life: 4,465
Mana: 2569
ES: 0
Armour: 0 (0%)
Evastion: 2291 (21%)
Life/s: 94.8
Mana/s: 140.4
-> Freeze Immune

Resists:
Fire: 75% (110%)
Cold: 75% (112%)
Light: 75% (87%)
Chaos: -44% (-44%)

Attributes & Bandits

STR: 261
INT: 243
DEX: 214

Normal: Oak (40 hp)
Cruel: Kraityn or KILL (8% AS or passive)
Merciless: KILL (passive)

Leveling

Pretty straightforwards. Just run around the tree and grab the nodes as you see fit. You'll be able to add additional auras as you get more aura passives and the reduced mana gem.

Having a fast attacking bow like this one is also very nice.

I've been playing a version of this character in Bloodlines. I leveled into the mid 40's using Freeze Pulse and Fire Trap, then swapped to a 4L Stormcloud with TS, WED, LMP, and Faster Attacks.

How to play and FAQ

Play this character by moving around to dodge attacks and keep enemies away. You're tanky enough to take hits and face tank some enemies while using flasks, but be smart about it.
Fire attacks behind enemies to achieve max dps.
Utilize your clones. With Increased Duration, you can have up to 4 out at a time. Use Mirror Arrow to hold the agro of dangerous melee bosses.

Q: What made you switch to Tornado Shot? Wasn't this build barrage/split arrow?

After TS was released, I tested it and it did better single target than barrage and better AoE than split. So I'm using TS.

Q: How much does this build cost, if I want to make it?

Good news! This build is cheap, like really cheap! The basic gear only costs a few chaos per piece, in general.
You'll probably be able to use gear you find and it will do great.

Q: Can I play this build with other classes?

Yes! Ranger, Scion, and Witch can all function well as this build. The core tree will be the same, but the first few nodes will be different.

Q: Okay, I've reached level 75 amd things are starting to slow down a bit. How can I improve my character?

To improve, we'll need a few uniques and a couple 5L's (6L if you can afford).
You'll want:

I'm going to add this item in within a few levels. I've been pushing the limits of what you can get without it, but now I would like to use it to maximize DPS. The build thread will get updated of course when I do this.

Adding a Cloak of Defiance is a solid defensive option and should not be ignored. However, you're sacrificing the life and res from a rare chest and will have to make it up somewhere else.

If you have a 6L Lightning Coil or Belly of the Beast, you can potentially run your main skill off of life and have more defenses, but you'd probably have to drop EB.

Videos - 1.3.1 Update Video Inside!

Feel free to question, comment, or improve the build by posting below!
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Last edited by zSavage on May 31, 2015, 2:09:13 AM
Updated and some formatting cleanup.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Updated with new main skill, new tree for 81, new gear, and a build guide video!
twitch.tv/savagewolves
finally a ele bow builds. gz .nice to see a new league budget start up build.will do this build in new league.
Updated with a lot of new info and a new video.

1.3 was a big buff for this build, and I haven't reached its full potential yet. More to come soon!

I'm also streaming my Bloodlines version of this character on Twitch when I get the chance.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Nice. I want to try something like this eventually, but with CI instead. Incandescent Heart + Darkscorn + Soulstrike. Not exactly budget since you'll need decent ES gear to make up for the limited ES on the chest armour, but the tree concept will be similar.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
That's pretty neat. You won't be able to attack as fast and obviously can't take EB, so your mana regen may not allow arctic armor use. That said, the combination of Darkscorn with CI does fair job blocking physical damage.

You also should have enough physical damage and accuracy to use mana/life leech from the tree or gear and potentially not have to take RT.

I would advise against IH in favor of a higher ES rare chest.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
"
zSavage wrote:
That's pretty neat. You won't be able to attack as fast and obviously can't take EB, so your mana regen may not allow arctic armor use. That said, the combination of Darkscorn with CI does fair job blocking physical damage.

You also should have enough physical damage and accuracy to use mana/life leech from the tree or gear and potentially not have to take RT.

I would advise against IH in favor of a higher ES rare chest.

Yeah, I would drop RT; it's too many points to get there when you need to grab Ghost Reaver (and maybe even Zealot's Oath). Dropping IH is a little scary to me. I've been using it in an Incinerate build and it's amazing, but with higher ES and decent maneuverability, it should be ok. You could even use Rearguard over Soulstrike with a nice ES chest.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Updated with video of my Bloodlines character using this build.

I've implemented Alpha's Howl on the core build; I'll update the guide soon with this change.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Updated with level 88 node and Alpha's implementation.
twitch.tv/savagewolves

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info