[1.3.1] zSavage's CI Crit Arcer (Budget, HC viable) - High ES, Reflect 'Proof'

Outline: Fast casting crit arc mage with a large energy shield pool. Utilizes dual curses and multiple auras. Very tanky through combination of Life Leech, Arctic Armor, High ES, and an effective CWDT combo.

A quick note before you read the rest of the guide to clear up any questions: Yes, this character is currently on standard. I made a silly mistake opening a strongbox I probably shouldn't have. That said, he's did very well in Bloodlines, and I will probably be playing a similar build for the one month event.
This character is now level 85. I'm looking to push to 90 and will update w/ new stats.

Budget?

Everything I used in Bloodlines I either crafted, purchased with orbs I found, or found. Overall I spent around 30-40 chaos buying gear. Initially I thought I wasn't going to be able to get the gear I needed, but i was pleasantly surprised.

Long story short:
poe.trade is your friend.

Gear & Current Gem Setups

Skills (current)

Primary: Arc + Faster Casting + Spell Echo + Life Leech (+ Light Pen)
Since the character is CI and uses Ghost Reaver, leech is really important. With a 6L I would add critical multiplier or critical chance.

Secondary: Arc + Curse on Hit + Assassin's Mark + Warlord's Mark
I chose to put my CoH on a secondary arc skill instead of on my herald, due to range. I had trouble consistently cursing enemies at typical engagement ranges, so this works much better.

Auras: Clarity + Discipline + Herald of Thunder + Reduced Mana
Clarity for mana, Discipline for HP, HoT for more damage.

Mobility: Lightning Warp + Faster Casting + Reduced Duration
A classic combo here.

Utility: Blood Rage + Arctic Armor + Increased Duration
Since the char is CI, Blood Rage gives us free 15% cast speed with no downsides. Arctic Armor is currently level 10 and will level up as my mana regen goes up.

Defensive: CWDT + Immortal Call + Enduring Cry + Frost Wall
The spells are in this trigger order because I consistently get charges from killing mobs, so my first IC won't need an EC to get charges. The EC then recovers these spent charges.
Frost Wall is really nice because it blocks most projectiles, pushes melee foes away, blocks chargers, and doesn't block Arc. Yep, you can arc over/through the wall.

Leveling

This char was not that bad to level. I took a grand total of 3 life nodes and didn't spec into CI till midway through A1M.

Here's an approximation of what my tree was at the time:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAB2MI9A5IEQ8RUBGWE54V5xa_HNwdTyepKlMtHy9vNblFfEZxRwZJUUyzUDBVS1crXfJfKl9qYeJilWNDZJ1tGXC7c7N0VX4zfll_xoMJjDaP-pMnlSCXl6KjpJGnK6yYsnC0DL2CwcXB88u92RPbXtvn5oHr9ewY8Gvw1fId8uH-sw==

Basically, I started pickng up ES gear and wearing it. I had a pool of around 2.1K ES with 1200 or so life when I specced into CI (went to a 2800 or so ES pool immediately afterwards w/ same gear)

Stats

Defense
Life: 1
Mana: 1798
Max ES: 7246
Armour: 256
Evasion: 447
Mana Regen/s: 146.3
Fire Res: 75 (80)
Cold Res: 75 (80)
Light Res: 76 (101)
Chaos Res: 100 (-60)
Block: 25%
Spell Block: 16%
Movespeed: +20%

Offense:
Tooltip: 7791 (no charges) 9912 (charged) - 5L w/ LL, lvl 18 arc gem
Life leech: 8.2%
Crit: 25% (37.5% charged)
Multi: 242%
Casts/s: 3.9 (4.2 charged)

FAQ - updated more as I get questions

Q: How do you deal with Reflect?
A: Reflect is not a problem with the life leech gem, especially when combined with our curse setup. The shields restore themselves too fast.
Q: What do you think your stats would be around level 90 with better gear?
A: I'm pretty sure I can hit 16-20K Tooltip DPS on my arc with at least 10K ES (this one should be easy).
I'm looking forward to his potential.
Q: Can I play this build with other classes?
A: Yes! Witch has more or less the same tree, but you could also play a version as a Scion.

Videos - Build Guide Vid up!

Please post any relevant questions, concerns, or critiques and I'll be more than happy to answer them!
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Last edited by zSavage on Jun 1, 2015, 11:13:15 AM
Updated with link to build guide video added!
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Was looking for something like this ;)

Well done.
first time reader long time something...

just trying out your build i was just curious to why you dont use concentrated effect
There's nothing to use concentrated effect on. It's a support for AoE skills (more damage for less aoe).

Arc is not an AoE spell; its tags are Lightning, Spell, Chaining.

If you've found some use I haven't seen, I'd love to hear about it.

Also, main post updated.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Last edited by zSavage on Apr 24, 2015, 10:24:25 AM
Deal with the bandits?
I believe Skill/Skill/Power Charge
It's possible to get the +4% casting speed but its kinda minor upgrade compare to the skill book.

what do u think?

What about Hearald of thunder/curse on hit/Assassin's Mark/Reduced mana

and as soon as u get a 5L arc/life leech/power charge on critical/faster casting/spell echo.

and switch the warriors mark from the 4l to enfeeble for more tankiness

Which unique's do u prefer and it is really important to get the double curses node?

What levels cwdt combo ?

so far so good i'm already 45 level.Crazy dps as soon as u get HoT.
Last edited by Twist3dGG on Apr 24, 2015, 4:02:33 PM
For Deal With The Bandits I took:
Passive/Passive/Endurance Charge.

The reason I take the endurance charge is for longer Immortal Calls, and the tree has little to no access to nodes for more endurance charges.

Honestly the last reward is up to you; all charges help this character. But yeah 4% cast speed is one node on the tree. I don't consider this node to be valuable unless you already grab all the cast speed available.

As for Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit combo, I've found that the range of the Herald is not enough to curse enemies (I attack from too far away); that's why I use the curse on hit arc.

Power Charge on Crit isn't really needed if you use assassin's mark; I prefer Lightning Penetration.
Warlord's Mark actually grants us a lot of free endurance charges, as well as more leech vs reflect and enables us to chain stun rares and some unique enemies, surprisingly.

For uniques I would recommend Rathpith Globe and Rainbowstrides until you acquire better rares.
Moonsorrow is also a great wand for leveling until you can find a better rare.

The CWDT level on my current gear is 3; I'm thinking of going up to level 5 or 6 but you won't need much higher than that.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
I see :)

Btw we forgot Blood rage as soon as we get CI.

Good build so far :) just hit lvl 70 after 1 day 8 hours played. I used Tabula up until recently and it worked pretty well. Have a 5L ES chest on now though.
might wana look into getting one of these. It looks awesome and it also boosts dps a lot.

I DO have a question though.. On the right hand side of the tree you took 3 normal (not spell) crit nodes.. Why ? Please correct me if i am wrong. but these don't effect anything at all in this build as far as i am aware..
"

I DO have a question though.. On the right hand side of the tree you took 3 normal (not spell) crit nodes.. Why ? Please correct me if i am wrong. but these don't effect anything at all in this build as far as i am aware..

Those nodes are general crit nodes. They're untyped, and affect everything from spells to weapons.

As for the Maligaro's Belt, you can use it if you want, though it has the downside of taking 50% more damage from all sources (due to constant shock status on us) which I'm not personally too keen on (though it does look awesome and would increase clearspeed).
twitch.tv/savagewolves

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info