The New Vanilla Experience that is 1.2.3

You guys make it sound like the game is ultra boring without stumbling upon corrupted zones/masters/boxes every step you take. I disagree. Those are nice additions to keep the stale endgame fresh when you mindlessly grind maps over and over again, but new players playing through normal for the first time are still taking in the story/getting the hang on skills and gems so all that extra stuff might prove too distracting, which is why it doesn't spawn until level 10 or so.
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
"
IlyaK1986 wrote:
Not only do the masters and corrupted zones feel like barely-there features IMO, but on a whole, they can be better done IMO. When you get to master level 5-6, their missions feel next to pointless (let alone the grind to 8), some of them are notoriously dangerous (Haku and the invincible totems, anyone?), some of them are poorly designed (every single timed mission), and regarding the corrupted zones, how often is it that there's a good reward from them, anyway? Midnights are what, a 5% drop chance? And then if Atziri has the same spawn rate for the mortal series (hopefully she's guaranteed to drop a mortal piece every kill), then you need to clear 200 corrupted areas just to do 1 uber atziri run?

But as to the OP's first impression, see, here's the thing--this game isn't even a Diablo 2 experience. Notice how the rune words, sets, and horadric cube crafting (aka the process of turning utter trash into treasure) are missing? Furthermore, as you might have quickly come to know, it's a game about maximizing the efficiency of one or two skills, and gearing up in the best way to passively support them. So, no this game isn't even Diablo 2.

Let us know when you found another ARPG that isn't D3 or TL2 (heard that one's really cartoony).

this game shits all over diablo 2, that game is nothing compared to poe, absolutely nothing. youve barely even played this game and all you do is sit around on the forums bitching about it. You dont have the first clue about poe, I suggest either you get back to playing it or uninstall and go find another game, stop hanging around the forums bitching about stuff all day which you have little gasp of.
"
IcyMist27 wrote:
Masters Quests are rarer than ever. Corrupt Zones are so scarce you can almost forget they exist in the game at all. Lockboxes are much more difficult to come by.
1.2.3 did not change the spawn rates of any of those things. They are just as common as they were before.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
IcyMist27 wrote:
Masters Quests are rarer than ever. Corrupt Zones are so scarce you can almost forget they exist in the game at all. Lockboxes are much more difficult to come by.
1.2.3 did not change the spawn rates of any of those things. They are just as common as they were before.

Everyone always seems to say that in 'x' patch the spawn rate of 'y' has been decreased or increased. With no supporting information in the patch notes.

Perhaps in the patch notes it should always say "The corrupted zone spawn rate is identical to last patch" and then "The master spawn rate is identical to last patch" and then "The item drop rate is identical to last patch besides additional uniques" etc
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
IlyaK1986 wrote:
Not only do the masters and corrupted zones feel like barely-there features IMO, but on a whole, they can be better done IMO. When you get to master level 5-6, their missions feel next to pointless (let alone the grind to 8), some of them are notoriously dangerous (Haku and the invincible totems, anyone?), some of them are poorly designed (every single timed mission), and regarding the corrupted zones, how often is it that there's a good reward from them, anyway? Midnights are what, a 5% drop chance? And then if Atziri has the same spawn rate for the mortal series (hopefully she's guaranteed to drop a mortal piece every kill), then you need to clear 200 corrupted areas just to do 1 uber atziri run?

But as to the OP's first impression, see, here's the thing--this game isn't even a Diablo 2 experience. Notice how the rune words, sets, and horadric cube crafting (aka the process of turning utter trash into treasure) are missing? Furthermore, as you might have quickly come to know, it's a game about maximizing the efficiency of one or two skills, and gearing up in the best way to passively support them. So, no this game isn't even Diablo 2.

Let us know when you found another ARPG that isn't D3 or TL2 (heard that one's really cartoony).

this game shits all over diablo 2, that game is nothing compared to poe, absolutely nothing. youve barely even played this game and all you do is sit around on the forums bitching about it. You dont have the first clue about poe, I suggest either you get back to playing it or uninstall and go find another game, stop hanging around the forums bitching about stuff all day which you have little gasp of.

I've played it more than I've played games that have left far fonder memories. I believe that qualifies plenty. And I remember having plenty of fun warping around with a sorcy. Having to actually slog through endless white mobs and getting absolutely nothing for hours on end besides vendor junk is not my idea of a good time. I'll get back to playing when a4 comes around. Maybe GGG will actually see the vast majority of their player base in a positive light by then.
As a solo player, I think the spawn rate of Masters in maps is abysmal. When I first went from Rampage to standard, it took 71 maps for Zana to spawn a second time doing full clears of all maps.

I don't feel like it has changed in 1.2.3, but if RNGesus is being kind I might find 1 master in 4 maps, which really blows.

Also I really really dislike the timed Zana daily missions. I personally think a timed mission should be few and far between as there are many much more fun and creative ways to have daily missions, I don't really feel that timed missions are really on par with what I'd expect from GGG.

I know i'm a little burnt out, but the spawn rate of masters in maps and abundence of timed missions have really led to POE feeling like a chore lately.

Looking forward to that feeling to go away :)

*Edited to remove the abundance 'really' i had used throughout my post*
Last edited by Gixxerdude on Sep 30, 2014, 8:03:54 PM
"
Gixxerdude wrote:

I know i'm a little burnt out, but the spawn rate of masters in maps and abundence of timed missions have really led to POE feeling like a chore lately.

Has POE ever not felt like a chore in the endgame, after the tree stops growing?
"
I think the spawn rate of Masters in maps is abysmal.

Masters have a 50% spawnrate in maps.
"
IlyaK1986 wrote:
"
Gixxerdude wrote:

Has POE ever not felt like a chore in the endgame, after the tree stops growing?

how would you know? you have 1 lvl77 character, for someone who knows how to play the game properly thats 2 days play. Youve actually spent more hours talking shit about this game in the forums than you have actually playing the game.
Last edited by Snorkle_uk on Sep 30, 2014, 11:17:51 PM
Basically, the entire game is balanced around trading. Literally 100% of the content in this game is balanced around trading. This leads to almost all of the frustrations you put in your OP, but the root of the problem is this:

1) GGG balances everything around trading
2) GGG does not communicate this fact to new players

I agree that this creates problems especially for first impressions. The game is a bait and switch for new players. The bait is dangled in Normal/Cruel, and then the switch happens in merciless.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Sep 30, 2014, 11:25:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info