[1.3] Zhen's CI Block Daggers [Cheap][Versatile] [30k++ aoe, 200/20+ MF]

Will update with gear and stats when 1.3 comes out.
1.1 Skill tree was a Shadow Iron Reflexes+Aura (tree reduced mana reserved nodes got nerfed and Witch became better)
1.2 Skill tree was a Witch block (tree block got nerfed)

Intro:

Although this build is made with flicker strike in mind, this is a core crit dagger build. As a result, I often use a variety of skills such as reave, cyclone, puncture, lightning-strike, and spectral throw to keep things fun while leveling.

Because the flicker strike has so much damage potential and moves you to mob packs almost instantly, it easy to run with fairly good MF (200+ iir 20+ iiq) and still have very fast clear speeds (easily 30k aoe dps with very cheap gear and can swap out MF gear to reach 100k++ dps).

I have done pretty well using MF CI crit dagger builds in both Ambush (as an IR Aura shadow) and in Rampage (as a Aura Block witch). Both builds' core items cost less than 2ex.

Lv90 Build Summary with Pictures

MF Setup Dps (288/28 MF)

Actual dps on mobs is as high 90k due to Assassin's Mark+Shock

Tankier Setup with Rathpith+Rainbowstrides (232/8 MF)

Defense from skills not in screen shot:
1. CwDT+ED+IC
2. CwStunned+ED+IC+Decoy Totem (CwStunned+IC happens BEFORE damage is calculated, which helps prevent high physical damage spikes)
3. With high block, I also use Tempest shield->Curse on Hit->Enfeeble to enfeeble bosses/mobs that are blocked.

Swap out Wheel of the Stormsail and Goldwyrm:

(If flask not filled within 10.08s)

0. Credits

Original guide:
My original crit dagger guide was for shadow. However, as of 1.2.0, dagger passives have been drastically improved and witch start with the best ES nodes. Shadow has 9 points locked up in less efficient damage nodes so I remade this guide in the witch forum.

Poutsos' flicker guide
The Poutsos' guide was what I used as a basis for planning out my gear. Also, it contains a lot of useful data, especially on what to seek in terms of gear. I recommend reading it first if you have not already.

Flickfrap's low life flicker
The basis of Flickfrap's tree (both low life and now CI) were helpful in planning out my own tree, with my tree looking almost exactly like it when I started.

Whaitiri's Flickering Viper [Atziri proof]
When I was first debating between witch or shadow for 1.2, this guide helped me finalize my decision on choosing witch. It is the base of my witch skill tree in 1.2. Also, the guide itself is great and made me consider using viper strike instead of flicker.

1. Pros and Cons of CI MF Block Crit Dagger

Pros:
+ Extreme versatility: have fun with almost all melee skills (ex: reave, cyclone, puncture, lightning-strike, spectral throw, molten strike...)
+ Fast clear time and plenty of unique drops
+ Build has plenty of growth all the way up to lv100
+ Lots of flask up time
+ Core build is very cheap: main cost is getting a decent 5L ES chest
+ Tanky: 75% block 75% spellblock with rumi's and 50% evade with grace
+ Damage as high as desired by swapping out MF gear for crit/crit multi
+ Crit daggers are significantly more accessible with master crafting

- Has to use searing bond at the start
- Not hardcore viable because it is both melee (dangerous) and ES (cannot use pots for instant heal)
- Build does not reach most of its potential until lv80, and is only fairly complete at lv90
- "Endgame" gear is as insanely expensive as you want

2. Bandits and Skill Tree

Bandits:
1. Kill all for passive point in Normal
2. Kill all for passive point in Cruel
3. Help Kraityn for +1 frenzy charge in Merciless.

Skill Trees:

~Lv65 83 skill point basis

lv71

lv80

Lv90 (what I currently have)

Lv100

Chaos Innoculation Keystone:
Get this when you have ~2K ES without discipline, which is usually ~lv60-65.

3. Base Skill Gems and Gear Guidelines

Skill Gems Guideline

5L RRGBB Chest

splash flicker

Flicker Strike->Increased Critical Damage->Item Rarity->Multistrike->Melee Splash

reave/puncture/cyclone

Reave->Increased Critical Damage->Item Rarity->Multistrike->Melee Damage on Full Life
Use Puncture instead of Reave for bosses and rogue assassination.
Use cyclone for fun when bored of flicker strike.

lightning strike

Lightning Strike->Increased Critical Damage->Item Rarity->Multistrike->Culling Strike/Faster Attacks

4L RBBB Herald

Damage and power charges:
Herald of Thunder->Reduced Mana->Curse on Hit->Assassin's Mark

Cast when {} defense setup

Our main defense is:
Cast when Stunned->Enduring Cry->Immortal Call->Decoy Totem
CwS is awesome because it triggers BEFORE the damage is calculated; CwS+Immortal Call can prevent all physical damage from a powerful hit, unlike CwDT which happens after the damage.

To be completely reflect safe, use:
Cast when Damage Taken (lv1)->Enduring Cry->Immortal Call

Lightning Warp

Although it costs more mana, I often use lightning warp because it can move over gaps and resync you.

Gear Guideline

List is numbered by priority

Required:
i. Eye of Chayula (get rid of this once you have block nodes and switch to Cast when Stunned)

ii. Anti-freeze (usually flask of heat or Dream Fragments)
iii. Aurseize

iv. The Magnate Belt or Perandus Blazon

Must eventually have by level 70:
i. capped 75/75/75 elemental resistances
ii. 5L 500+ ES chest (5L is the important part, 450+ ES is manageable)
iii. 200+ pdps (if attack speed > 1.4, calculate pdps by x1.4/aps) 8.5%+ crit dagger
iv. 150+ ES resistance shield (such as archon kiteshield).
v. Surgeon's Granite Flask of Iron Skin, Surgeon's Jade flask of Reflexes
About the dagger:
Crafting has made getting a decent dagger significantly easier. Any dagger with ~200 pdps will work if it can have crit crafted onto it.

MF Recommendations (having at least 3.5k ES is more important than MF):
i. Capped resistances from setup with rings and helm
ii. Goldwyrm Nubuck boots
iii. rings (20+ iir, 200+ accuracy, resistances)
iv. helm (20+ iir 100+ ES)
v. Perandus Blazon

4. My gear

[Block Crit Build] current Rampage gear

288 iir 28 iiq

Flasks

Build-specific items

[IR Aura Variant] Ambush gear

248 iir 20iiq

Flasks

Build-specific items

5. [Important Info] Leveling and Why the build cheap yet effective

Leveling:
0. If you made it here, congratulations, you are almost done. Above all else, remember this build is versatile, so switch up your main skill when bored of reave/flicker. Otherwise, leveling becomes a chore.

1. Searing Bond+Fire Trap+Increased Burning Damage
Crit builds start out weak but this setup provides plenty of damage.

2. Aurseize
Aurseize great for both MF and capping resistances. Together with Eye of Chayula (required), you already have 80 MF without making any sacrifices to go for MF.

3. Discipline
Lowers amount ES we require from gear.

Why the build is cheap yet effective:
The damage of a crit dagger build depends 2 main things
-Dagger
-Links on the Chest (4 is required, but you gain 50% more damage with 5L and 125% more damage with 6L)

The other items, with the exception of Abyssus, will raise damage but their contribution is not as big.

Accuracy is very important, but we have +102% accuracy from tree so this is easy
-Chance to crit per attack = Crit chance * accuracy * accuracy. For example, with Capped Crit and 90% accuracy you would have 95%*90%*90% = 77% chance to crit per attack.

Remember to switch up your main skill when leveling starts to feel like a grind.

Advice/feedback about the builds and this guide are welcomed.
Last edited by Zhen on Dec 13, 2014, 2:12:07 AM
Bump.

Guide is now complete. Done moving important info from the original shadow thread.
Last edited by Zhen on Sep 29, 2014, 10:45:27 AM
Looks like fun.
I love flicker and I love CI.
Just started the new league not too long ago. I'll see how this goes.
Can't wait for the weekend xD
"
xiexingwu wrote:
Looks like fun.
I love flicker and I love CI.
Just started the new league not too long ago. I'll see how this goes.
Can't wait for the weekend xD

I've actually been meaning to update this guide since the skill tree that works best at endgame is this one, which is able to add in tempest shield+curse on hit+enfeeble for maximum tankiness. It also has high block (+31%) and can cap spell block with rumis active.

Hope you have fun.
Last edited by Zhen on Oct 13, 2014, 11:30:23 AM
Bump.

Reworked guide.
1. Only one build and skill tree (fusion of aura and block)
2. Added skill gem information
3. Rephrased text to highlight the versatility of the build.
Great build, very elegant tree layout. It's almost like devs wanted this type of build to start as a witch. I've studied a ton of trees that other have posted over the years, and I just cant see how Id do this one much different. Well done.

So what kind of tooltip damage numbers are you getting with the posted gear? As its a crit build, tooltip means little, but still gives one an idea of what actual damage will feel like.

Mine is still a little lass, but should soon be reaching the stage when she starts to shine.

Oh one last question. Assuming semi-limited funds. Spend whats required to get a decent 6 link and less than an optimal amount on a dagger, or go 5link with a nice dagger?

Thanks man!

*And post some vids!*

Last edited by chilisoup on Nov 7, 2014, 10:25:53 PM
So I've got a lvl 76 Shadow that used to be a flicker striker based on Poutsus's guide, with a free reset sitting on it.
Wondering if I should re-spec him to follow this guide, or roll a witch.

And if I do roll a witch, should I still use the Fire trap and stuff that is suggested, or are there other alternatives for quick leveling? Have a bunch of low/mid level uniques to help along the way.
Bookmark
Thanks for this, was thinking about trying a CI ST build next league but not good with making my own tree.

How well does this do with high level maps and map mods while soloing?
Sorry for the slow response.

"
chilisoup wrote:

Great build, very elegant tree layout. It's almost like devs wanted this type of build to start as a witch. I've studied a ton of trees that other have posted over the years, and I just cant see how Id do this one much different. Well done.

So what kind of tooltip damage numbers are you getting with the posted gear? As its a crit build, tooltip means little, but still gives one an idea of what actual damage will feel like.

Mine is still a little lass, but should soon be reaching the stage when she starts to shine.

Oh one last question. Assuming semi-limited funds. Spend whats required to get a decent 6 link and less than an optimal amount on a dagger, or go 5link with a nice dagger?

Thanks man!

*And post some vids!*

1. Unfortunately, my laptop is not capable of capturing PoE as I play. However, I updated the build summary at the top with pictures. (My current dps is as high as 90k splash)

2. Semi-limited funds shouldn't be a problem since you get currency as you level. This is the build I started with in rampage, so I had zero funds to start with. You get plenty of currency as you level up with MF.

3. 6L is much more expensive just for 50% more damage that you don't always need; just start with 5L+nice dagger.
All my damage comes from: dagger-220 pdps/9.9 crit, 5L chest, accuracy in rings, crit multi in necklace, and highly leveled gems that I Q20'd by resetting to lv1.

"
Yarik85 wrote:
So I've got a lvl 76 Shadow that used to be a flicker striker based on Poutsus's guide, with a free reset sitting on it.
Wondering if I should re-spec him to follow this guide, or roll a witch.

And if I do roll a witch, should I still use the Fire trap and stuff that is suggested, or are there other alternatives for quick leveling? Have a bunch of low/mid level uniques to help along the way.

1. Poutsus's guide is better early on because it starts with more damage nodes. However, having played a variant of Poutous's in the last league as a shadow, I can say that this witch build has a significantly more versatile and enjoyable lategame. In addition, if you are looking for damage, you just swap out MF gear for stuff like Maligaro, Crit rings, Abyssus, etc.

2. I made aimed the guide aimed at someone starting with nothing, so how much of the leveling guide you should follow all depends on what your leveling gear is. Fire Trap isn't as important, but I would still recommend having Searing Bond+Inc Burn.
Last edited by Zhen on Nov 8, 2014, 3:42:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info