High item quantity + quality maps=bogus returns

I've had a similar experience while mapping. I found that the lower level maps (66-69) frequently drop maps while 70+ maps tend to drop very few. I started to wonder if there is some sort of diminishing return on map drops the higher the map level. But then again maybe RNG just hates me.
Wisdom is silent except to the open mind
Im sure it works but it's hard to notice Yellow maps 100% x 1% drop rate vs blue maps 25% x 1% drop rate over a small sample size. It's like 2% vs 1.25% chance to drop one. That was just an example but you get idea.

RNG hates me too OP. Especially since i only solo. I just buy maps above 75.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Sep 28, 2014, 11:58:41 PM
I've managed to get a fair pool of maps from soloing.

I will transmute/alt any map 72 or less now.

73+ is usually a few chisels and an alc + a chaos or two if things look a little scary.

I don't care about the quantity for the most part and just run maps for exp. I roll mods that I know I can run without too much risk.

I've never really had an issue running out of maps.

That said, I've seen the counter intuitive things as well. Ran a few mirror maps from a strong box and got multiple maps of their level or higher.

Or the time I took off my MF gear on a map after finding nothing good for 50 min then got 3 unique drops on the next map.

It's just coincidence, IMO.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
iiq on map is confirmed to affect map drops. From gear or party has no effect. Rare, champs, and pack size also affects drops. There are no diminishing on drop count but there is on drop level. Best work I have seen on this is +.69 level per map level. That puts average map drop level in a 78 map at about 74-75 if my math is working. There really is no reason to blow your currency load on one map with how sporadic drops are. Alting for one of the above mods, chiseling, and regaling a well rolled blue map is about as much as you want to do.

Be fast, run lots of maps. On my lvl 82 in beyond i am trying to transition into 71-72 maps but only have about 20. Not enough! Need moar maps!
"
fadox wrote:

spot on lol
It's all about weighted averages...

100 quantity has a higher average map drop over time.
10 quantity has a lower average map drop over time.

in either case nothing could drop... or 8 maps could drop.

the odds of nothing dropping in a 10% map are higher than the
odds of nothing dropping in a 100% map.

the odds of 5 maps dropping in a 100% map are higher than the
odds of 5 maps dropping in a 10% map.

total amount of monsters factors in obviously; weither the map itself
has a high default number of spawns, or the map has a mod increasing
the pack size, you will get more drops on average.

I have run several 8 mod maps, one of them was a staggering 147 quantity
and guess what I did? I went onslaught... 187 quantity.

I got one drop from that 187 map. QQ right? Wrong. the other high quant
maps overwhelmingly cover for this rare event.

I recently did a 30 quant cells map (73?) got 2 74 maps... residence.

pretty sure I got my crematorium map as one of many dropped in a
high quant 74 map. (dropped 5 or 6 maps)

scared to do it.... but I intend to roll 100+ quant on these high lvl maps.

JUST DO MORE MAPS.
Last edited by AgnosiousD on Sep 29, 2014, 2:47:47 PM
My strategy is as follows:

1) 66-72 lvl maps:
Transmute/aug and go.

2a) 73-76 lvl with relatively hard bosses (Necropolis, Residence, Academy, Crematorium):
Chisel 75+ maps (if you have spare chisels).
Get pack size/more rare/more magic.
Aug for second safe mod.
Go.

2b) 73-76 lvl with easy bosses:
Chisel 75+ maps (if you have spare chisels).
Alch and go. If you get unplayable or extremely annoying mod for your character (I personally never run Temporal Chains and Fracture cause it's fuckin stupid :) ), throw in a chaos.

3) 77-78 lvl maps:
You need to get maximum expirience from these maps. Items are good too, but they are not the top priority.
Chiseling is a must.
Pack size is a must (more magic will do too; more rares mod is bad here because it doesn't get you more exp).
Aug if need.
Regal if you feel like it (I don't dare to, if I get 45+ pack size. One unplayable mod can ruin a great map).

And the most important thing: the game is designed in such a way, that you just can't reliably sustain a pool of 75+ lvl maps. One day you get lucky, the other day you don't. You can't do anything about it. Well, you can qq on the forum... ;)

Just run maps. Or buy maps from other players. Or don't play this RNG game. :)
Last edited by Kislorod on Sep 29, 2014, 8:20:52 PM
I have been running map 76+, full party, with my mf toon (120/500) and solo map with my Non Mf toon.

Didn't notice any difference of map drop. ( sold all my mf gears since then).

Some weeks i have 20+ maps 76+..and the week after got none left...

Pack size / rare mob map tend to drop more maps generaly.
No difference with *2boss , *2 exiles..from my experience obviously.

Also , I feel like the higher the level of the map is the lower the map( of any level) drop is.
And i could ( from my point of view again ) state this about unique drop rate too.
(78 Dominus/77 merveill/Crematorium boss/Shipyard boss just never drop anything except from the couple of useless rares)

I don't bother alching/chaos maps it s just a waist of currencies and time. Just alt/chis them (lvl76+) to get +20q/Packsize/rare mobs. Regal is stupid, if it add a bad mod (no regen/BM/fracture..etc) you re screwd and currencies loss again.

Sorry for my english.
blue maps seem to be more effective for me too

but it could be just the fact that is much easier to hit pack size mod
Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199
It's the pack size for sure. Perhaps with a transition to a fused economy people will chaos their maps to get packsize and there'll be less complaints. With Zana and boxes I haven't run into any problems having a 75+ pool, but perhaps I've been lucky. I mix how I roll 74 and up, alts go real fast if that's all you use and absolutely everyone wants to buy them.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info