InsaneMfB's Shock and Thaw - Ball Lightning Build (Glass Cannon)

Hi Guys.

Welcome to my very first self-made build!

This character can best be described as a Glass Cannon, in the sense that the build itself is very fragile but it hits like a truck.

This build also rewards you for skill, and you will see me mention it multiple times in this comprehensive Wall-of-Text guide. The power output and survivability of this build greatly depends on the skill of the player.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS BUILD FOR HARDCORE
*Maybe a more tanky version with lightning coil or Cloak of defiance could theoretically work, but as I always play with 300+ ms, I cannot test this in hardcore to verify if its viable

Gear

This build has been very successful since the level 60's, and the scaling of gem levels as well as incremental gear upgrades have only pushed the boundries of what this build is capable of.

Weapon:

Stats you want:
- Spell Crit
- Spell Damage
- (bonus) Cast Speed

Shield:

Stats you want:
- Life
- Spell Crit
- Mana regeneration
- Lots of ES
- (bonus) Resists

Chest:

Stats you want:
- 6 Links on a chest. Tabula Rasa is currently the cheapest 6link available.
- Although this build works perfectly fine with a 5 link, a 6link is highly recommended.

Helmet:

- Three dragons is what makes this build work. No other helmet fits here. More info in the "mechanics" section

Gloves:

Stats you want :
- Anything. I added a crappy Life/Lightning resist glove as this was the only resist I didn't have capped. Really any stats here help, but a rare with high life is recommended.

Boots:

Stats you want :

- Life
- Resists
- Movement Speed

Belt:

-Doryani's belt mainly for the lightning leech, the nice resists and finally the 10% chance to shock on flask usage. More info in the "mechanics" section.

Ring1:

- Pyre ring is another one of the items that make the build work. You need this ring. More info in the "mechanics" section.

Ring2:
Any good caster ring.
- Good stats include Cast speed, Lightning damage, Life, Resists, Mana regeneration, Crit chance
- I broke my other rare ring I had with a vaal orb, So im in the process of buying a new one, so no picture here -_-

Amulet:

- Any good caster amulet would do.
Stats you want :
- Crit multiplier
- Cast Speed
- Life
- Mana regeneration
- Stat points
- Resists

Gems

6 Link (Main Spell):

- Quality is highly recommended on Elemental Proliferation as it increases both freeze and shock stack duration
- Getting quality on all other support gems further skyrockets the output of ball lightning and Herald of Ice

4 Link (Curse on hit 4 link):

4 Link (CWDT):

4 Link (Herald of Ice Setup):

Mechanics

This character really switches up the Lightning, Fire and Cold Damage to do entirely different things than they usually do, by combining the use of Three Dragons and Pyre ring.

This is how it works :

1. Light Damage Freeze :

First your main attack, Ball Lightning can now Freeze mobs instead of shocking them. Due to the fast hitting nature of ball lightning combined with a lot of critical strike chance and crit multiplier, those "little" small hits add up quite fast and tend to permafreeze everything on the screen.

2. Cold Damage Shock :
Second, now that you freeze everything with ball lightning, your Herald of Ice procs a lot, and I mean a LOT. But wearing three dragons means that the cold damage will ignite, and since we have no passives for the ignite mechanic, we would much rather get shock. This is why we use the Pyre ring. The pyre ring turns the cold damage from Herald of Ice into pure fire damage, which can then shock due to the three dragons mechanic.

In short :

Light Damage Freezes;
Cold damage is turned into fire, which then shocks;

If you take the cast speed of ball lightning and combine it with the inherit fast hits, you get a very efficient way of spreading Freeze and Shock across the entire screen.

"Why don't you just leave out Three Dragons to shock with Ball lightning and freeze with Herald of Ice like everyone else?!"

- You need a LOT of upfront cold damage when you enter end game and start running maps. The x-x cold damage added by Herald of Ice is simply not enough to ensure a reliable freeze.

Where can we see this build in action?

I have recorded some footage in a lvl 73 Canyon Map, together with a few act boss kills, but I really suck with video editing and don't really know what I'm doing. I will post a gameplay video to youtube soon(tm).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nQDuPaaRVA

FAQ

So how squishy are you?

This build relies heavily on reaction time and skill to be as strong and successful as it can be.

The better you play the longer you will live and the faster you will clear maps. Waver for even a moment, and a rogue rhoa would probably instagib you(as my embarrassing canyon video will demonstrate -_- )

If you get the first hit on a mob(even leapfrogs, goats and rhoas) they rarely get the chance to fire off a projectile or even reach you as melee. This counts for everything from blue and rare packs, to exiles and act end bosses like Vaal and Piety.

This build absolutely hate these map mobs :

- Anything that slows you down (frozen floor, temp chains)
- Anything with above average Lightning Resist
- Blood Magic

Is this build good in parties

From what I've tested, this build is absultely fantastic for parties. Not only do you provide valuable crowd control with all your freeze, but you also apply shock which greatly helps party damage.

This build does not perform well with builds that require corpses. Anything that relies on elemental proliferation or corpses will not really play well with this build.

How do you deal with reflect, Mr Glass Cannon?

With a quality Life leech, Doryani's belt leech and an atziri flask (more leech).

Is there anything this build cannot do?

That's a good question. Once I figure out where to get some more life and mitigation, I will attempt Atziri and post an update.

Other than that there's not much this build can't handle.

Play well and kill everything, all the time.

Play like shit, and well, you die all the time.

Last edited by Senzaki1010 on Sep 26, 2014, 1:54:36 AM
Oh yes, Frozen Orb is back! :D

Also, why no Maligaro's Virtuosity in the Gloves slot?
IGN:
Jiaozy - Jiaozy[something]
Last edited by Jiaozy on Sep 25, 2014, 8:09:28 PM
I have added a Gameplay video as requested.

The reddit comment thread can be found here :

http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/2hfsh0/insanemfbs_shock_and_thaw_ball_lightning_build/
Very nice man, im really impressed with the kill speeds on piety and dom

Could you please add your flask set up :)
Three dragons + ball lightning + pyre ring. I guess i need to try the s**** out of that build.
Bandits?
No Herald of Thunder? It's basically a buff to ball lightning and when a shocked enemy is killed, you proc the on kill effect which can freeze enemies through three dragons. With Herald of ice shocking, the two can self sustain
I've been using this build for the one week, and I must say it works really well, I found a Tabula shortly before Merveil that was very useful for leveling, I do really recommend a Cloak of Defiance for later on though, it is difficult to survive higher level maps without it.

I prefer Power Charge on Critical instead of added lightning damage as well, bosses are much easier if you can actually keep your charges up on them, it's also hard to get any charges from Assassin's Mark in a party.

Overall though, the build is very good and I enjoy using it a lot.
Can you please fix the passive tree?
It's just the beasts under you bed.
In your closet, in your head!
Bump. Please fix the passive skill tree, the build looks gr8!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info