[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Synjyn wrote:
Thanks for the advice; but I have a couple more questions. The first is about using Physical to Lightning gem in place of Added Fire. I start in the Duelist area and thus pick up some more physical damage and my tool tip damage goes from 43,327 with hatred and anger to 46,726 when using BoR and the Catalyst. Have you tried this on the Templar spec?

My second question which is baffling me is the use of Wild Strike.

..etc etc..

If any of this is incorrect please let me know. And this all may be a matter of preference as well but I really like WS (it looks cool) and I don't want to gimp myself if I am wrong.

Synjyn, phys to light is a good support gem but there are two problems with it which explain why I don't use it. The big one is mana leech from items and jewels no longer works so you can't sustain attacks reliably without spending skill points unnecessarily (or using mana flasks of course). The second, smaller, problem is that monsters are a little less resistant to physical typically so the only slightly higher tooltip may actually not translate into faster kill speed, which is of course all that actually matters.

Offhand I can't tell you why the tooltip is different between the skills. Maybe there is an interaction with your gear, jewels, or supports, or maybe GGG just didn't code the skills the same way.

I don't think you could assume at all that wild strike's proc effects stack in any way on a single target, it would be just 60% once.

I had planned to test wild strike next using the exact same routine as with static strike but I wouldn't expect wild strike to beat my 16.4 second time with static. I've tested far too many skills that failed to reach static strike's kill times, irrespective of tooltip.

Edit, I just noticed you used the word 'more' to describe the quality elemental damage bonus from wild strike's tooltip. That would imply a multiplicative bonus which would be huge. However the actual wording is 'increased' which is only an additive bonus and thus very minor.
Last edited by Sovyn on Mar 14, 2016, 9:26:46 PM
Thanks for your insight. You have go to be the best at replying to any and all questions on your thread. I totally see what you mean about keeping up mana and the resistances of mobs.I hadn't thought about that. I would love to get an answer to the Wild Strike issue from the developers. I think I will post and see what comes of it. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure it out.

I really appreciate your testing of all skills to improve the build if possible. This build is what I have been looking to play for some time. I wish I had gotten onto it earlier. I look forward to seeing your testing times for Wild Strike.
Today's Update:

Concluding the boss kill speed series we have the Wild Strike results.

Wild Strike(13) - Weapon Elemental Damage - Added Fire Damage - Multistrike
Time for all three harvest bosses: 22.25 seconds average

Comments: Good skill but clearly worse than the best skills (Static Strike clearly number one then Molten Strike, Ice Crash and Lightning Strike very close number two three four, respectively). Will publish a full list of results in the guide soon. It's all in the last ten pages but no one will find the information there.
Guide Update:

"
03-15-2016 -- Added attack skill gem test results to FAQ
Hey Sovyn, I really like the look of this build. Have started it and am slogging through.

I'm gunning for the level 80 version of the build, a realistic level for now. But I notice you've only got around 122% life. How do you find you go for life overall?

I was pondering maybe ditching the ranger shield nodes and grabbing more life around the marauder tree. But I guess it ends up being a trade off of shield defenses and block vs. more life.

"
Lankycheese wrote:
I was pondering maybe ditching the ranger shield nodes and grabbing more life around the marauder tree. But I guess it ends up being a trade off of shield defenses and block vs. more life.

You can if you want. Block is an alternative to life in most situations. Just make sure you have good life rolls on your gear and you will be fine. Do check the 'what will kill me' FAQ as that stuff will get every build even with substantially more life, it doesn't matter. 80 is pretty low level in my opinion as the game would be over in like 50 hours of play. For example I don't see anyone doing the highest maps at that level. But I guess if you like to try a lot of builds.

Edit, forgot to mention the ranger shield nodes are worth a fair bit of DPS too so you lose that as well.

Also the difference between 122 and 145 or whatever life on the tree is marginal.
Last edited by Sovyn on Mar 15, 2016, 1:40:44 PM
So my questions are two:

1- Is that Gladiator "inmunity" to spells worth it? I mean, it is so OP as it sounds? You will never be hit by spells?

2- Did you got your 50% spell block amulet by trading, or grinding maps, or so?

Thanks in advance, your build is pretty good.

Im starting to have some problems with maps of my level, i guess it is because i only have a 30% damage reduction from armor, but overall it is the best i check at the moment.
As one who took Gladiator, it is not spell immunity. It is at most 75% or 78% with the Anvil. It is 100% of your block chance. This is nice because you are free to use whatever amulet, boots and jewels that you want. It gives me much more freedom with gear and easier to gear while still having full attack and spell block.
Oh well, that is still very powerful.
That is a bad new for me, since im too lazy to start again the same build with other character.
Anyway i guess spell block is less neccesary than standard block, since except against bosses and some mobs, there is no need of blocking spells... right?
"
lDrass wrote:
So my questions are two:

1- Is that Gladiator "inmunity" to spells worth it? I mean, it is so OP as it sounds? You will never be hit by spells?

2- Did you got your 50% spell block amulet by trading, or grinding maps, or so?

Thanks in advance, your build is pretty good.

Im starting to have some problems with maps of my level, i guess it is because i only have a 30% damage reduction from armor, but overall it is the best i check at the moment.

Hello lDrass, No, Gladiator is not worth it because you kill monsters so much slower than Inquisitor. It's easy to get the spell block benefit from gear. You just need a few cheap uniques. On Perandus leage which is where most everyone is right now, a Stone of Lazhwar amulet costs less than one chaos. The rainbowstrides cost less than 10 chaos and the Reckless Defense jewel is one chaos on Perandus (more on standard but that's just because it's brand new and no one plays standard right now).

One correction, 100% of block chance to spells does not mean spell immunity. The cap is 75% just like regular block. 100% of block chance applied to spells means just that, so if I had 60% block and 100% of block chance applied to spells, my spell block would be 60%.

I got my amulet from trading but the basic stone of lazhwar I found probably 5 of them myself and they sell for almost nothing so you can afford it.

Most people have trouble with melee characters if they don't upgrade their weapon or if they don't get the basic 80+ life rare items in every slot they can. Nothing expensive of exotic is required to succeed to a certain extent. Certainly up to 74 maps or something like that (skip merciless Malachai if not well geared, it's optional content after all.)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info