Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

my dps now as level 41 with a 3L item is without auras 1350dps
using lightning strike + weapon elemental damage + lesser multiple projectiles.
if i face a boss i switch LMP for faster attacks and get 1710dps

using a axe+shield atm
"
Thyrandor wrote:
"
tiggyr wrote:
Another pointer which may have been noted is just how *much* having skellies help even out the hots versus a hard hitting melee boss like Kole... throw down a skelly totem and it is a MASSIVE damage mitigation as with 4 skellies up you're only even getting *attention* 20% of the time. Can faceroll Kole this way no troubles.

Do you just use skellies + totem or do you add any other support gems?

Simply leveled up skellies (for hit points) and a summon totem... IF i know a boss is going to be hard (and I really only use this againt bosses or very hard packs) I just drop one nearby, let them get some attention and start wailing on him. The good thing about the totem is it will regen more skellies for those that get smashed. It really is a great damage mitigation technique in a build that focused on damage mitigation ;)
"
Hierokliff wrote:

HC is fun, it gives that extra nerve to the game... Kinda disagre to go max defensive asap, because with hp-gear and some hp-nodes we dont need defensive until level-?. But 1-38 in a days playing off and on, its kinda fast leveling as tanky templar also. (Not as ele-dualcleave or bouncing-marauder, but i do survive as templar :-) I did start go more defensive now at level 37 and onward, mostly because with the new dagger i one-shot whites and dual-shot the rest with lightningstrike. So did remove a HP pot for a second quicksilverflask. So did take out one of the rusty shields i had in the stash from my former templar. I think ill retrain the 5 offensive nodes, when its time for vaal-cruel, or if i find a good phys damage weapon.

Definitely up to you, it's your character, but if it were me I'd end up dying in for example, chamber of sins or western forests at least once around level 40 without all of the defensive stuff. :)
"
kahoraho wrote:
Sovyn, congrats on page 50 xD

Thanks! :)
New patch is here, but I won't be able to install up to 8 hours =(

I think those who has gone for the block ranger nodes will get one full reset. I think they are one node away. May someonecconfirm it?. Anyway I don't mind too much, I have some refund points and I didn't assigned my last 4 points ; I was waiting for this patch.
IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
Ok I've looked at new passive tree.
Btw for those who has android phones, there's a nice application to see the passive tree. You can save and reload builds.

Weapon Artistry, on a ranger block area is a new must have. It gives 4% block, 20% physical damage and +20 dexterity
It's only two nodes away from Precise Interception, and the middle node is a +10% physical damage node.
I have no doubt about taking this node.

I haven't taken any node on the Marauder area and I think I will avoid it.
I like very much those two nodes that decrease your critical damage taken by 15% each.
I like the +12% resistance to all elements. But I'm capped.
It looks to me like I need a lot of points, 5 minimum, to take those nodes.
Still in doubt about it.

I haven't gone further than the block nodes on the intelligence path.
I think I am going to delete all the intelligence nodes.
With the new 4% block from the Weapon Artistry, I will need another 4% to compensate the lost block nodes close to Bulwark. That 4% block can be done taking the block nodes between the marauder and duelist. I'll have to take an additional node, a 30% increased defences from shield, but it won't hurt me because my shield is >800 evasion base (250 evasion points would be better than +10 intelligence).
I could drop Weight Lifted, the life nodes on the intelligence path, and replace them by those three life nodes close to the ranger block area. They are +6 +6 and +8, with no need to take extra nodes to reach them.

If I don't pull Bulwark nor Weight Lift, I am sure I'll lack a bit on intelligence and will have to pull a +30 intelligence node :(

At last, I will have to decide if I invest three points going offensive to Aspect of the Panther or defensive going for weight Lift. In the end it won't matter too much, as I will go for the other option as soon as I level.

Just some thought on the new changes, dont take me too serious.
It could be an option with my actual points: Build example, level 72
IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
Last edited by kahoraho on Jul 16, 2013, 10:43:57 AM
Hey guys,
I followed this guide with my Templar and wanted to say THANK YOU ! This guide is amazing, really nice work, also your responses :) far im impressed how it works ;)
I'm pretty new to this game but with this build I had almost no trouble (Vaal made me crazy the first time as I couldnt dodge his attacks :D ). I'm self-found besides Crest of Perandus and made it to act1 merciless (lvl 55).
I run Heavy Strike with Added Fire Dmg, Melee Dmg and Blood Magic which grants me 1,4k DPS
I level faster attacks + elemental dmg but I cant link it at the moment since my chest is only 4l and I need the BM gem. I run Determination, Purity, TS on Mana and dont have any manaleech for HS. One annoying point is that I dont have any AoE-dmg. I have a LS gem but my dmg output feels low when using it. I read you use multistrike to solve that problem but I havent found it yet so I guess I have to kill them one by one. Earlier, I used Molten Shell but my manapool cant afford it atm :S
My blockrate is at 71% with Tempest Shield. Resist are 29, 71, 75 without Purity. unequally distributed I know :/ I lack Fireresist but I cant really improve it without losing HP. Maybe I'll find a cool ring.
Any tips what I should rush next in passive skilltree? Im not sure if I should rush the Thick Skin cluster +28% hp (got 1,9k atm), Precise Interception (the new Weapon Artistry sounds nice too) or Ondars Guile (got 480 Evasion, 17% Chance, unfortunately no Grace aura so far).

Regards, Dooobs
"
Dooobs wrote:
Hey guys,
I followed this guide with my Templar and wanted to say THANK YOU ! This guide is amazing, really nice work, also your responses :) far im impressed how it works ;)
I'm pretty new to this game but with this build I had almost no trouble (Vaal made me crazy the first time as I couldnt dodge his attacks :D ). I'm self-found besides Crest of Perandus and made it to act1 merciless (lvl 55).
I run Heavy Strike with Added Fire Dmg, Melee Dmg and Blood Magic which grants me 1,4k DPS
I level faster attacks + elemental dmg but I cant link it at the moment since my chest is only 4l and I need the BM gem. I run Determination, Purity, TS on Mana and dont have any manaleech for HS. One annoying point is that I dont have any AoE-dmg. I have a LS gem but my dmg output feels low when using it. I read you use multistrike to solve that problem but I havent found it yet so I guess I have to kill them one by one. Earlier, I used Molten Shell but my manapool cant afford it atm :S
My blockrate is at 71% with Tempest Shield. Resist are 29, 71, 75 without Purity. unequally distributed I know :/ I lack Fireresist but I cant really improve it without losing HP. Maybe I'll find a cool ring.
Any tips what I should rush next in passive skilltree? Im not sure if I should rush the Thick Skin cluster +28% hp (got 1,9k atm), Precise Interception (the new Weapon Artistry sounds nice too) or Ondars Guile (got 480 Evasion, 17% Chance, unfortunately no Grace aura so far).

Regards, Dooobs

Thanks for posting! :)

I would go for Ondar's and pick up Thick Skin along the way. Then I'd max out your block. Still weighing the options there with the revised skill tree. (I'll probably design for a 37% shield, figuring I'll be recommending a crafted shield with "of walling" affix end game and 5% is the middle value.) Then I'd get Leather and Steel.

You need Grace!

Also, I'd try Infernal Blow until you find or buy a multistrike. It's OK single target too.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 16, 2013, 3:35:46 PM
With the new Ranger buffs, I got an opportunity to respec my build. I last posted when I was L80 and I'm now L81. Back the, I was about 4 nodes away from getting Ondar's Guile. Given the free re-spec and kahoraho's mentioning the new Weapon Artistry node, I have reworked my passive tree.

Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAecEswUtFCAY2xkuGjIaOBpVGtsbrRv6HRQhYCNNJd8n7SjFMok26D3iQDZAoERyR35I7kp9TDVPfVBHUWBT31RJVcZW-lcNV-JY21nzW69fP2BLYSFko2VNZp5noG5pcql0QXTtdPF313rvfNl_K4BWhMSE2YTvh3aPRpBVm4OeuZ7NoLSiAKQZpzCnhKmVrKqsr7T5t9O53b6nwBrEuM9l0NDSIdSP1fjWitfL2WHdDedS7DjuDu8O8B_yL_O--tL7qvzF

I have now removed my Strong Arm passives at the top of my tree and used those points to pick up the Weapon Artistry node. I also took 1 less life node and 1 less weapon elemental node. This allowed me to access Ondar's Guile and pick up the Diamond Skin passive. Now, I'm at 76% block with Tempest Shield. My Infernal Blow DPS dropped from about 7.8K to 7.6K. My HP dropped from about 3.6K to about 3.5K.

In a way, my tanky pally build is now complete as I have reached all of Sovyn's recommended passives. Now the tweakings can truely begin. :)
Last edited by Dwarg on Jul 16, 2013, 4:54:20 PM
Sovyn, what do you think about the new Amber Amulet unique? Might be good at low levels or even with Titucus Span.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Anvil
IGN: Altorparia
Timezone: GMT +3
Last edited by Altorparia on Jul 16, 2013, 5:45:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info