[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
CptSatch wrote:

(I'm currently saving for the Stone with 3-4% block chance, but its not highly necesary)

So this is my build, I was thinking, should I buy Soul Taker and swap it with Doryani?
What do you think?
Excuse me but what purpose exactly this build serves in standart league ?
I mean what's the point of playing a tank on standart anyways . Just wondering .
R.I.P 4.B.
Last edited by tryhardgg on Jun 2, 2015, 2:46:47 PM
"
CptSatch wrote:
And about mana leech, I dont have problems with mana so far, I have nice regen and I never ran out of mana when striking with Static strike.

Only mana regen? That's a surprise if you are running all three auras/buffs I recommend. Good for you. :)

Edit - I see, flat mana regen via Immortal Flesh. That does cost you on the damage front but congrats for bucking the trend.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jun 2, 2015, 4:20:55 PM
"
monkthekey wrote:
I have a question for you, what would be the best possible item for this build ? (for the godly rich folks)

Probably a mirrored claw (for most attack skills) or foil (for cyclone). These are generally in the 500+ physical dps range.
"
Sovyn wrote:

Only mana regen? That's a surprise if you are running all three auras/buffs I recommend. Good for you. :)

Edit - I see, flat mana regen via Immortal Flesh. That does cost you on the damage front but congrats for bucking the trend.

Thanks buddy! But what about the Soul Taker, do you recomend swapping Doryani's for Soul Taker?
"
NicholaiHell wrote:
Hi Sovyn, I am using your build and enjoying it very much. Thanks for the awesome build... Below is my current gear. I really appreciate the feedback as I am really new to this game and playing for just 2 months.

Also, I have some questions about gear and for the new upcoming patch. forgive me if these questions have been already answered because I could not read the whole forum (380 pages :))

a. I am really confused about the helmet choice. As you can see I am currently using a devoto's devotion. I bought it cheaply and using it currently. But could not decide to use BoR or just a rare helmet as you suggested for the end build. Also, Vertex unique helmet with its "Gems in this item have 50% reduced Mana Cost" implicit (if this affect aura gems I am not sure) seems a good option. What is your suggestion?

b. I have read your preliminary v2.0 guide and as I understand correctly from shield section and from some forum posts since Ondar's Guile keystone is nerfed this build will give up evasion and go all armour and use all armour gear? Also, since maxing out block with jewels will be easier, block chance on shield is not too much important as long as you have maxed out block? I am asking this because I have just found the below shield and thinking to use exalts and hope for some life and resist on it and then using divine orb to get max %6 block chance but I am not so sure right now since you are suggesting a tower shield with 1500+ armor.

c. What do you think of the doryani's invitation heavy belts?. Elemental dmg ones have good armor rating on them and resists. Do you know if newly suggested ice crash skill will benefit from a cold dmg increasing doryani belt? Or a rare rustic sash with physical dmg increase and life on it will still be better?

Hi Nicholai and welcome to the thread :)

Looks like you are doing well for only 2 months!

You probably want to save up for a Doryani's Catalyst now as that would greatly increase your damage.

Helm - a good high armour/90+ life/resists rare is 'best' along with a 6-link chest (or Tabula perhaps) but BoR would get you very close to the kind of damage a 6-link chest can give you for a lower initial cost. The big issue with BoR is you have to make up a ton of lost resistances from losing both helm and chest slots (with Tabula option it's only losing the chest) on your rings and belt and gloves which can be expensive and cost you damage there because you probably can't afford to buy both high damage AND high resists in all these slots. So you can see the answer depends on what you can get your hands on and what you like.

No, Vertex does not work on auras or buffs. It would have to be worded "50% reduced Mana Reserved," and it isn't. Initially it did work but that was considered a bug and was fixed long ago.

Shield - I would advise not using any currency to craft that item.... the armour is too low and usually with orb crafting you get a mod you can't use and it's a waste. I recommend just picking up either a Lioneye's Remorse for around 5 chaos (what I'll be using, best armour at reasonable cost + some life) or an Aegis Aurora for around 55 chaos (regain some energy shield on block). Yes, we are going 100% armour for 2.0 unless GGG changes things before release but don't worry if you have a little evasion on some piece of gear somewhere.

Belts - Doryani's Invitation, yes Ice Crash does convert 50% to cold. IMO since both mods are "increased" I'd still go for the rustic sash with elemental damage master crafted on -- don't forget to blessed orb the implicit physical damage if it's not over 20% -- and IMO anything without life on it is not that good for endgame. Everything is based on your physical damage so that's always good to have more of as it increases all the elemental damage proportionally.
Ok, I'm still not convinced that Static Strike is better than Heavy Strike... This is in 1.3, not 2.0.

I've tried these setups (tooltip 8145 dps):

vs. (tooltip 8936 dps)

And yes, I know the Static Strike is still 3 levels below the Heavy Strike. Tooltip dps is with both auras up.

I'm using this weapon (259 pdps):

First of all, clear speed in The Catacombs (which is where I usually test out stuff), seems to be higher for Heavy Strike, but (much) more important, even with 10% life leech (Temu, Slitherpinch and Blood Rage), I see my life dip much more using Static Strike than Heavy Strike.

Part of this could be the extra levels on Heavy Strike, though according to PoE Wiki the advantage doesn't seem to be that great, but mostly I think it is because the conversion of 60% of the physical damage makes even a 10% leech 'small'...

Any comments?

My full gear:
Spoiler

EDIT: I suppose the knockback from Heavy Strike could also be a factor (apart from it being slightly annoying in itself) as it may reduce the times the mobs actually hit. When hit by the giant skeletons, my life drops as much in both setups, but recover significantly slower with Static Strike than Heavy Strike.
Last edited by Cyzax on Jun 2, 2015, 5:32:13 PM
"
CptSatch wrote:
Thanks buddy! But what about the Soul Taker, do you recomend swapping Doryani's for Soul Taker?

No, with Soul Taker you would lose a lot of damage. If you want to upgrade, a better roll Doryani's, or better rings or gloves or save up for a 6-link belly or good rare.
"
tryhardgg wrote:
Excuse me but what purpose exactly this build serves in standart league ?
I mean what's the point of playing a tank on standart anyways . Just wondering .

Thank you, tryhardgg, for the question -- I always enjoy an opportunity to describe the advantages of my build.

1) Some people like to play melee and with melee you have to get close and personal with every monster and boss so you need strong defenses on any league to remain reasonably productive;

2) Many people start out in this game like myself with nothing and I want to provide an option that works to a degree without much investment or trading required.... the trade system in this game to be brutally honest is terrible and many will quit without even giving it a real try..... I even was able to play well into maps with self-found (complete junk) gear quite easily and that would be quite an achievement for many players with a life;

3) Many start path of exile with nothing and try the flavor of the month which completely melts because they can't find the required gear to make it dps'y and/or tanky and then come to the lazy pally and it just works;

4) For those that want to level over 90 it becomes very counterproductive to die even on standard league... we have had a couple level 100s and several more level 100s that have pretty much copied my build and started their own threads;

5) In 2.0 unless things change the flavor of the month builds are just going to melt to the increased difficulty and complain non-stop whereas the lazy pally is cruising through beta.
"
Cyzax wrote:
Ok, I'm still not convinced that Static Strike is better than Heavy Strike... This is in 1.3, not 2.0.

I've tried these setups (tooltip 8145 dps):

vs. (tooltip 8936 dps)

And yes, I know the Static Strike is still 3 levels below the Heavy Strike. Tooltip dps is with both auras up.

Well my friend, use what you like that's one of the great things about the lazy pally, choice...

Bear in mind though the tooltip is not everything on static strike, you have to multiply it by 1.7 to get your actual dps total including the explosions, so 15,191 for static.

You do need to switch melee damage on full life for added fire damage unless you are using aegis aurora, as you won't be quite exactly full life most of the time so your static strike is getting crippled right there.

Perhaps you are fighting lightning and/or elemental resistant monsters in which case the physical may pull ahead even with lower damage but this is not the case everywhere.

Also the AOE size on quality static is huge compared to the very lackluster melee splash support gem. Larger AOE size generally means more efficient clearing.

Knockback is generally undesirable for efficient clearing. Perhaps with the new reverse knockback gloves in 2.0 (untested, just a guess).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info