[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Interesting info on Ice Crash, I would really like this skill to be useful, so hopefully it is good.

By the way, how are claws in the Beta, I hear they should have been buffed?
"
Stefacle wrote:
Interesting info on Ice Crash, I would really like this skill to be useful, so hopefully it is good.

By the way, how are claws in the Beta, I hear they should have been buffed?

Claws are the best weapons in my opinion. It's nice to get healed when you attack which is not really available to a new player on a new league unless they use life gain on hit or life leech support and lose a lot of their already small dps and even then these supports are not available early on from a casual player perspective. The healing ability of claws has been improved substantially. The dps vs. other weapons depends on the rolls you find and strangely the best rolls I've found in the beta both times I've had to start over have been claws.

Ice Crash is good enough to use. Best? Not sure yet, I probably will have to test on live with my high level templar to know for sure. Should work great with Doryani's Catalyst which is obviously not available on beta.
From beta some raw dps tooltip numbers with the same bad weapon (supports fortify, melee physical and then faster attacks for static and ice crash but blood magic for cyclone).

static strike level 6, 434 tooltip dps, 694 calculated
ice crash level 3, 455 tooltip dps
cyclone level 2, 233 tooltip dps

Notes:

Cyclone - very hard to sustain at least early on because it hits so fast. Blood magic support. Great care required to not kill oneself just from using your life to cyclone. Likely would result in more deaths particularly vs hard-hitting bosses. Claw helps but great care required to stay on top of monsters to regain life. Should be mostly moot endgame when a couple hundred life per second is regenerated. Subjectively highest single target dps and all the mana can be reserved for auras.

Static strike - highest theoretical dps but somewhat hard to sustain on mana with 2% mana leech. Only works with fewer auras and some flasking. Not an issue endgame when physical portion of dps is much higher thus more leech.

Ice crash - sustains well enough on mana even at low levels with just the 2% mana leech because it is slower hitting. Slower single target killing than cyclone. White monsters die just as quickly. Nice default AOE size.

All do work. Hard to choose a winner.

I'm leaning toward just recommending static strike then ice crash then cyclone as the character levels up. I think you can get static around level 3 or something and then ice crash around level 28 then probably cyclone for endgame when one has all the regen nodes and high life. I'd need to figure out at what level to recommend it. I'll hammer it out for the 2.0 guide release.
I just got here from D3 and I'm hooked! This is right up my alley of game style so I went with this build as I'm sooo lost in this game and needed a compass to go by. Completely different from D3 imo.

Will you make a updated version of this build when the new content goes live?
Good to hear that you like the game, and the build Dunder :)

This build is excellent to start out the game with as you will not hit a wall at any point due to gear requirements.

Knowing that Sovyn is currently in the beta for the upcoming expansion I can say that there will be an updated version of this build once the expansion goes live.

In fact there have been updated versions of the build for every major game update since the build was published by Sovyn over two years ago.

The 376 pages of this tread speaks volumes about how dedicated Sovyn is to keep this build going through numerous game changes, buffs and nerfs.

You can always ask questions here if you have any problems, Sovyn or others on here will do their best to help you out.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself and have fun, and welcome to the amazing game that is Path of Exile :)
I've been playing through a couple of wipes now in beta, more recently trying Ice Crash in the latest iteration. The damage this skill puts out is obscene, but I have been doing it with 2H. From the moment I got the skill to almost the end of act 4, everything died so fast that defense almost didn't matter.... almost. Since it was a marauder 2h build, not having massive amounts of armor would end up resulting in some odd almost insta-deaths that I never saw with an evasion TS build, even with crappy gear. I think though because of how great the damage on IC is, that using it with a 1H build with block and more defense like this would would be an excellent option. The biggest changes to most builds though is the lack of reduced mana and the lack of the CWDT/EC combos. So those links would need to be reworked.

I think after the next wipe I will try out this build with ice crash and see how it works.
"
DunderQQ wrote:
Will you make a updated version of this build when the new content goes live?

Welcome, DunderQQ!

Yes, in fact, I am already working on it and will post a preliminary version soon.
In other beta news, the 2.0 version of this guide will probably not be taking Ondar's. Since that benefit of evasion has been removed I feel it's probably time to stop recommending evasion gear (gasp). With max block, evasion is not that big of a deal without Ondar's as a factor. We are talking about getting hit 17% of the time with some evasion vs. 25% of the time with just max block (on average). It might prevent getting hit three times in a row on a very rare occasion where the random block chance has an unlucky streak, but that's about it. That will be taken care of with high armour values at least in the case of physical blows.

As there are jewels in the beta that have 2% block on them I'll probably also be recommending crafting a few of these and certainly skipping the Slashing Comeback cluster which I've been itching to do since 1.3 release.

These changes will save 9 points (subject to change) that we can spend on jewel sockets or life/regen/armour instead.
"
Sovyn wrote:
In other beta news, the 2.0 version of this guide will probably not be taking Ondar's. Since that benefit of evasion has been removed I feel it's probably time to stop recommending evasion gear (gasp). With max block, evasion is not that big of a deal without Ondar's as a factor. We are talking about getting hit 17% of the time with some evasion vs. 25% of the time with just max block (on average). It might prevent getting hit three times in a row on a very rare occasion where the random block chance has an unlucky streak, but that's about it. That will be taken care of with high armour values at least in the case of physical blows.

As there are jewels in the beta that have 2% block on them I'll probably also be recommending crafting a few of these and certainly skipping the Slashing Comeback cluster which I've been itching to do since 1.3 release.

These changes will save 9 points (subject to change) that we can spend on jewel sockets or life/regen/armour instead.

Great! Looking forward to it. What do you think your defensive gem setups are going to be now? How about auras?
"
damelon wrote:
Great! Looking forward to it. What do you think your defensive gem setups are going to be now? How about auras?

I'll have the 2.0 preliminary guide together soon. :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info