[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Bandray wrote:

Fantastic advice, thank you!

Would you recommend getting rid of BoR and replacing it with a 6L then? Seems like swapping BM for ML on a BoR doesn't accomplish much else than a total side-grade. But I worry about losing that extra 15% block and thus extra nodes.

Also, the high ASP comment is really key, I know. 1.62 on my claw - the damage is really tremendous and the leech keeps me at max life 90% of the time, but do you think that ASP should be higher, sacrificing high-end damage for high-end speed? In other words, do you recommend I opt for a 2+ ASP sword instead of this claw?

A 6-link chest and a good helm together are better than a post-nerf BoR, because you can use level 20 quality gems on it.

The speed on your claw is probably fine, would not go any slower though, ideally. Probably would not change it out unless upgrade in damage and speed together.

Not really a big fan of BM for primary attack due to desync causing unexpected life drop. Can't leech life if you are not actually near any targets. Not as a big of a deal with reave, as the mana cost is low.
Thanks again, Sovyn. Great appreciated. I'll report back when/if I get a full, mana-using set going. Looking like it'll be mighty expensive to migrate to a 6L, plus all the mana-regen/leech rings and gloves and such! But I'll work on it. :)
I have reached a point of frustration with my Lazy Pally. I am following the build very close, I did take Amplify to help with Cleave but other than that I am current with the build progression.

I am level 70 and am having a very trying time just advancing at all. I can be going along with most encounters having zero issues and then suddenly I die. These deaths happen very fast and without a combat log I am finding it very difficult to determine what killed me due to the sudden surprise death. Trust me, these deaths happen crazy fast and I am at a loss as to why so quick. (Reflect: maybe)

Personally, I believe these deaths are due to some kind of change in the game with regard to elemental damage penetrating our resists even though we may be maxed at 75%. Why do I think this, I have a level 83, 2 Flame Totem character, who also uses a 4.2 second duration, 29 unit long Frost Wall(This is crazy good, byw). She also has max resists of 78% and I have none of these surprise death issues and she is in the mix up close constantly. Thus my conclusion that maxing resists at 75% is probably not high enough anymore.

**** Possible solution: I am considering skipping the Holy Strength health keystone node as well as the three attack speed nodes. Then taking the Elemental Adaptation node +2 elemental resists. This will provide me with additional health, a little more mana as well as raising my max resists to 77%. I am at 1.87 APS and experiencing considerable desync already, so maybe this will help.

Here are a couple of examples of my typical game play approach:

** When I encounter One - two or three npc's = I typically attack them with my 6k Heavy strike - Multi - Fst Atk - Melee Phys Dam - and they are all dead. I have yet to have any problems and/or deaths from any boss when there are three npc's or less.

** Large mobs: Leap Slam to acquire Endurance Charges "sometimes pre-fight, sometimes mid-fight" (Have "never" died using this) - warlords mark - cleave-multi-fst atk-melee phys dmg-conc effect:(5k) to thin out mob - Heavy strike finish off stragglers. It is during the cleave part of the fight where I can get these surprise deaths.

My F/C/L resists are maxed well above 75%, Chaos is -31%, I have 5% life leach & 4% mana leach, I cannot maintain both grace/determination yet.

Life: 2,537
Mana: 386 -- w/340 reserved = det/grace
Armor: 1,894 - 2,803 (Determination)
Evasion: 1,987 - 4,945 (Grace)
Block: 75%
Spell Block: 38% w/Lapis (not wearing much yet due to life/mana leach needs)
Chance to Evade: 42%
Atk Per Sec: 1.87

My Gear:

Current "Ambush" Build: 88 pts placed

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAdwB5wSzFE0UcRUgGjga2xutG_odFCNNJd8oxSpNLOk26DrYPeI_J0A2RHJHfkjuSn1KyEw1TdhPfVFgU99Vxlb6WK9Y21nzZU1mnmegbqpwfXKpdEF313gNfNl_K4BWgW-DOITEhNmHdox2j0aQVZuDnjyiAKQZpzCnhKluqZWsqqyvtPm18rfTvorAGsOGz2XQ0NaK18vdDeeR6hjsOO4O73zwH_O-9zL46_rS_MU=

"Note":

In domination league I also played a Lazy Pally, I took him to level 82 and truly had no issues "at all" until level 82 (Maps up to level 73). I then started to realize that my damage was not sufficient to advance further without a weapon upgrade. My sword 274 dps at the time, 96% of the damage was physical. My 5 link chest piece 1,125 armor my helm 904 evasion, life 3249 and 9.6k Heavy Strike.

Suggestions - Comments ??

Ishkabibble

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

USMC - Vietnam 1967 - 1968 - 1969
Last edited by Ishkabibble on Apr 16, 2014, 1:40:06 PM
"
Ishkabibble wrote:

I can be going along with most encounters having zero issues and then suddenly I die.

Nemisis mods, probably. New in recent patch. http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Monster_Affixes#Nemesis_Affixes Lots of people have instant death issues. Endless complaint threads on the forums. Looks like in your case, 2500 life is too low, basic gearing issue there my friend. Melee need more life than that for endgame. Also, do buy a high level reduced mana so you can run both auras. Will help you finish the build as intended, to some extent. Might need a little mana regen / + mana on gear too, maybe not. Something to look out for when you upgrade.
"
Sovyn wrote:

A 6-link chest and a good helm together are better than a post-nerf BoR, because you can use level 20 quality gems on it.

The speed on your claw is probably fine, would not go any slower though, ideally. Probably would not change it out unless upgrade in damage and speed together.

Not really a big fan of BM for primary attack due to desync causing unexpected life drop. Can't leech life if you are not actually near any targets. Not as a big of a deal with reave, as the mana cost is low.

I think that for a 1H/Shield Block build, Post-nerf BoR vs. Helm+6L is more contested (depending on how good the 6L is) because Block becomes more and more powerful as you approach the cap, and 1H/Shield builds get to that point. BoR can allow you to use a shield with more Eva (but less Block), or even free up a lot of points on your tree.

But IMO, for a Dualwield build post-nerf BoR is much worse than a Helm+6L, though, because you don't get close to the Block Cap.
One nemisis mod in particularly, Corrupted blood, seems custom designed to kill fast melee toons.

The more attacks you do, the more you get corrupted blood dots on you. Even a four stack with an instant and HOT flask (and out of flasks to keep the heals running) will usually do me in. I avoid them like the plague. Two or three cleave/MS attacks is enough to build a fatal dose no matter how many flasks you have. Doesn't seem to be cleansable as it's not a bleed/burning etc.

Just keep an eye on rare mobs for their mods.

I don't think you're wrong though re: spell resist, almost like some mobs have resist pen built in. Some of the Vaal bosses cut through me like butter with capped resists/capped block and stone of laz for spell block (my spell block is over 54% iirc). My health pool disappears very fast.

Also, just for noting, block can be streaky and evade (which has an entropy model designed to not be streaky) doesn't help with spells unless you've got the arcane acrobat or w/e the talent is in the archer/shadow area. You might be getting a bad streak of missed blocks that are overwhelming you, particularly if the mobs are running the increased crit aura + hard hitting, particularly if your armour isn't high.
"
K0rrupted wrote:

I think that for a 1H/Shield Block build, Post-nerf BoR vs. Helm+6L is more contested (depending on how good the 6L is) because Block becomes more and more powerful as you approach the cap, and 1H/Shield builds get to that point. BoR can allow you to use a shield with more Eva (but less Block), or even free up a lot of points on your tree.

Pre-nerf, I think it was pretty clear that BoR was great, but post-nerf I believe the full level 20, 20 quality gems on a 6-link would out-damage any damage nodes one could gain from the tree by saving a few block nodes. Flexibility in selecting a lower block shield is a valid point. The build is designed to easily accommodate 38% block shields as the only source of block, which can have high evasion relatively cheaply by crafting with a few hundred alterations for walling + evasion, then regal the result for an extra mod. I think it's easier to use Crest for it's excellent stats like life and 40% block, and make it up with lots of evasion and armour on other gear, at least that's the route that worked out for me in the end.
"
Saviourself wrote:
One nemisis mod in particularly, Corrupted blood, seems custom designed to kill fast melee toons.

Staunching flasks work for corrupted blood.

Another Nemesis mod that can be one to watch out for is Storm Herald. I do a lot of yellow maps and most of them seem to have a resist penalty. Storm Herald bosses can really hurt with 51 resist. Best avoided.
OMG fellow Lazies I HAVE TO share this shield with you, finally I hit this "Evasion %" with an Exalted (the shield dropped with the other mods already on it, lucky!):

With a little lucky Divining I can get to 38% block too without sacrificing too much evasion.
"
Nuit wrote:
OMG fellow Lazies I HAVE TO share this shield with you, finally I hit this "Evasion %" with an Exalted (the shield dropped with the other mods already on it, lucky!):

With a little lucky Divining I can get to 38% block too without sacrificing too much evasion.

Wow, perfect!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info